Pages: 1 ... 1966 1967 1968 [1969] 1970 1971 1972 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8960011 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #29520 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 13:26:41 »

Until we get somebody to put the ball in the back of the net, this season is teetering on gone IMO.  If we manage to get somebody in soon that can score regularly, then we might be more likely to put a run together and give ourselves a chance.  The jury is still out on House because we haven't really seen him yet, hopefully he does a Cox/Parkin once he is up to speed and injury free.

Most of the signings so far have been with next year in mind which is good.  Nothing has said to me that we are capable of pushing for a play off spot this year with the signings made.  You never know, still (just) enough time yet for House to show, or another addition to come in.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29521 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 13:34:00 »

So the playoffs are beyond us as we're 7 points behind, yet when we were 10 points off the relegation zone we needed to be worried. Is that right?

Not exactly... we've flirted with an uncomfortable position a couple of times this season, after poor runs of results.... the most recently 2 weeks ago at Macc, at 1-0 down and with a Vigs cock up making 2-0 very possible, we're 9 points clear of them with a tough game v Lincoln to come... given their win on Sat and Cambridge and Yeovil winning, we could have easily been a mere 6 off the drop zone.

It's about getting clutch results and we did that, so probably putting the drop fears to bed for this season.... now if you want to look upwards, you'll note that several of the fringe PO sides have a game or in the case of FGR games in hand and our GD is poor so effectively worth a point less on those.

If you still want to think upward then Sat is a must win..... Tranny not an easy pace to go to, only 1 home defeat this season and only 5 goals conceded at Prenton Park, we've yet to win on the road at anyone out of the bottom 6.  So a win would be highly impressive.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #29522 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 13:45:46 »

I somehow didn't think it would be as simple as i hoped Reg.

So basically its the age old adage of, if we'd lost some games we didn't then we'd have less points. No one can argue with that i guess.

6 points is "mere" whereas 7 points is "beyond us". Interesting.
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #29523 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 13:49:51 »

So the playoffs are beyond us as we're 7 points behind, yet when we were 10 points off the relegation zone we needed to be worried. Is that right?
To make the play offs we need league winning form.

Possible but very, very, very, hard.

especially with the tricky games coming up.

However with 6 points against Tranmere and Creepy Crawley we can but dream.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29524 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 13:55:57 »

So the playoffs are beyond us as we're 7 points behind

Yup

yet when we were 10 points off the relegation zone we needed to be worried

Nope
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29525 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 14:57:12 »

I somehow didn't think it would be as simple as i hoped Reg.

So basically its the age old adage of, if we'd lost some games we didn't then we'd have less points. No one can argue with that i guess.

6 points is "mere" whereas 7 points is "beyond us". Interesting.

It's a perception thing, as things stand we're still in the lowest league position ever, in our post 1958 formation of Div 4 history, after 28 games.  Now to me that isn't very good, nevertheless probably a fair reflection after what has happened this season

Certainly we're in no position to be flirting with worse, had matey hooked it in at Moss Rose rather than skewing it off target, then that could have been a distinct possibilty, wouldn't necessarlly mean, we'd go down, but personally I don't want to be involved in a scramble to stay up. 

The converse perception thing, is that to get upward mobilty you need a string of wins, we hinted at it with 3 in a row, but were then unable to back it up v Grimsby and Numb.... they were the clutch games.  All of which points to the fact we're probably about where we'll finish.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #29526 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 15:07:53 »

Yes..it's the Reg way

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29527 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 15:33:24 »

Yes..it's the Reg way

Indeed it is my way to look at previous results player perfomance etc and try and draw conclusions....so for example one win in the busy month of December which included losing at the CG to a Conference S side, doesn't suggest to me an unwardly mobile side, but rather one for which we should be concerned as to where it is heading, without getting some more points in the bag.

So for example we're a point worse off at the same stage than in 83/84, a season in which when we recorded our lowest ever Div 4 finish..... that for some fans like PV, represents the nadir of STFC, for those not old enough to remember 55/56.

Yet somehow the evidence that others draw is that, this measure of our present status is illusory, we're not at a historic low, with concern about where it is heading being justified.
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #29528 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 15:34:23 »

Connor Ronan from Wolves
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #29529 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 15:35:35 »

Connor Ronan from Wolves

Yey, another midfielder......
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #29530 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 16:13:14 »

If true there has to be out goings
Flashheart

« Reply #29531 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 16:20:28 »

It's been mentioned that he can play on the wing.
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #29532 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 16:24:03 »

was on loan at Walsall this season, and previously at portmouth last season, rated at Wolves. I like the cut of his Jib. Hope the rumors true.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #29533 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 16:34:49 »

Whilst I don’t agree with Regs current negative opinions I will say...

It is a lot easier to go on a losing run than a winning run. Particularly as an average side.
Also law of averages would state it’s harder to catch the higher teams as they’ll likely drop less points.

I haven’t looked it up but I remember us being middle of table this time of year in our Kingy play off season, swear we went on some mad Barcelona form Feb
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #29534 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 16:37:20 »

Slightly off. Boxing Day we were 14th. Jan 17th we were 6th
Pages: 1 ... 1966 1967 1968 [1969] 1970 1971 1972 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: