Pages: 1 ... 1885 1886 1887 [1888] 1889 1890 1891 ... 3973   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8955248 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #28305 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 18:51:08 »

Flitcroft also paid for players, as mentioned on the previous page. Woolery, Anderson, Mullin and RCC. Have we paid for anybody under PB so far? We may also find that Brown does pay for a player or two, he's already said he wants to sign Adebayo permanently.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28306 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 18:54:50 »

Aaah, missed that, OK I can see with a transfer kitty we may have paid out more but had the same wage bill.

Would say that means we have been stuck with freebies instead of buying quality, but that list isn't really going to strengthen my argument.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28307 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 20:13:54 »

Anderson was a January switch to Perm as well, with a fee, wasn't he?

You really do have to question the CB issue though - we put Robertson on notice that he could go, so we clearly knew we didn't have the right quality.  It did look like we'd got a bit of defensive structure in place at the end of the season, so maybe he thought we'd be ok and put his eggs in a different basket, but it could be the one area that could undo Brown.  The rest looks good enough to push higher up the league to me.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28308 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 20:14:22 »

People have also overlooked the budget talk of managers. The last thing a manager wants is to say we’ve got such and such left in the budget.

Better to appear skint - which we may well be - than to broadcast we’ve got money still left to spend.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28309 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 20:15:59 »

Aaah, missed that, OK I can see with a transfer kitty we may have paid out more but had the same wage bill.

Would say that means we have been stuck with freebies instead of buying quality, but that list isn't really going to strengthen my argument.

I would say that the money spent on those may well be why some shackles have been applied?  I think there is a player in Woollery, but so far it's wasted money.  I'd add Anderson to that as well.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28310 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 20:51:21 »

Who knows. It's not like last year's squad yielded a turn. You'd think he'd see Anderson and Woolery as punts with potential when he bought them. no guaranteed ROI.

Think he just went for it as much as he could last year. Too much to do and the wrong manager to do it, and now we are paying the price of normal cloth cutting. Which is fair enough even if it's not great.
---
With no insight whatsoever, I blame Brown for the defensive inadequecies rather than power - well, assuming we suddenly don't start getting clean sheets.

hell it's only 2 games in. could look different in a month!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28311 on: Monday, August 13, 2018, 21:07:26 »

Who knows. It's not like last year's squad yielded a turn. You'd think he'd see Anderson and Woolery as punts with potential when he bought them. no guaranteed ROI.

Think he just went for it as much as he could last year. Too much to do and the wrong manager to do it, and now we are paying the price of normal cloth cutting. Which is fair enough even if it's not great.
---
With no insight whatsoever, I blame Brown for the defensive inadequecies rather than power - well, assuming we suddenly don't start getting clean sheets.

hell it's only 2 games in. could look different in a month!

I think Power has got his sticky fingers back in the recruitment.... offering Vigs a new contract for example.  Talk of buying Adebayo... probably back to the Cooper/Williams model whereby all seemed to have an input.... and whoever was scouting wasn't much cop.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28312 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 00:08:50 »

Everything Brown has said suggests he is largely in control with Power signing off on the players.  He also said he hasn't been turned down yet.  I can't help but think a couple of the midfielders presented themselves to us and Brown just got carried away thinking they were too good to turn down.  It can be fixed with the current squad, he'll just need to be more pragmatic in how we set-up and who plays where.  Anderson is offering no support on the left when we defend for example, hell, at times it's hard to see if Anderson is even supposed to be on the left.  McGlashan and Knoyle seem more in tune.  Taylor is exposed, and he is all over the shop when watching runs over his shoulder.  The end of the Lincoln game we took away all the central solidity we had built in the earlier part of the 2nd half, exposing the central defenders as well.  It was a recipe for disaster, but fixable.

Reminds me a bit of the last couple of months of Cooper's good season.  We ended up trying to fit lots of attacking midfield talent into the team and lost some of the shape  - Swift for example, great talent but changed how we defended (as in we pretty much didn't).
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #28313 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 04:48:29 »

Everything Brown has said suggests he is largely in control with Power signing off on the players.  He also said he hasn't been turned down yet.  I can't help but think a couple of the midfielders presented themselves to us and Brown just got carried away thinking they were too good to turn down.  It can be fixed with the current squad, he'll just need to be more pragmatic in how we set-up and who plays where.  Anderson is offering no support on the left when we defend for example, hell, at times it's hard to see if Anderson is even supposed to be on the left.  McGlashan and Knoyle seem more in tune.  Taylor is exposed, and he is all over the shop when watching runs over his shoulder.  The end of the Lincoln game we took away all the central solidity we had built in the earlier part of the 2nd half, exposing the central defenders as well.  It was a recipe for disaster, but fixable.

Reminds me a bit of the last couple of months of Cooper's good season.  We ended up trying to fit lots of attacking midfield talent into the team and lost some of the shape  - Swift for example, great talent but changed how we defended (as in we pretty much didn't).

Excellent analysis. PB's subs in both league games have had the impact of losing control of midfield and the initiative. Got lucky against Macclesfield, not so against Lincoln.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #28314 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 06:09:19 »

Anyone else think we might see Diagouraga go Centre half?
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #28315 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 07:58:35 »

Excellent analysis. PB's subs in both league games have had the impact of losing control of midfield and the initiative. Got lucky against Macclesfield, not so against Lincoln.

2nd this. Can’t help but think that the team is made for a 3-5-2, not sure if McGlashen or Knoyle could operate at LWB, but an extra body at centre half may help to release Alzate and Doughty a bit more, as well as giving Adebayo a man (Richards) to play off. Maybe will be tried when we actually have a second striker fit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28316 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 08:06:15 »

Another option is to get TD to screen the back 4. Assuming he is fit enough and is the player we think he is.

Think Smith has done fairly well from the little we've seen, but TD is physically different!
Panda Paws

« Reply #28317 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 08:11:44 »

That's very misleading.

PB probably started on a budget similar to the one Flitcroft STARTED with, only Flitcroft's rose throughout the season. As PB's is likely to do, particularly in January, as PB himself mentioned.

BUT WHERE'S THE LUONGO MONEY
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28318 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 08:12:47 »

Everything Brown has said suggests he is largely in control with Power signing off on the players. 

So why are we offering a contract to Vigouroux .... given his history and Brown having only seen him once when he made a proper rick ?   Likewise why did Brown mention, after reputedly offering Fulham for Adebayo, a move similar to original Vigouroux with Liverpool from Power, that Power likes a punt?

I don't think PB is a full on Power stooge like Luke more a Cooper semi independent, but not full control like Flitcroft.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28319 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 08:23:17 »

Brown has blown too much of his budget on midfielders. Do we really need Smith/Dave/Dunne for a similar role?

When Richards/Woolery are fit who drops out?Richards in the team means a change to 4-4-2.

How about McGlashan at full back in place of Taylor? I realise he’s not left footed but he tracks back well enough and likes a tackle. Got to be a chance for Romanski somewhere at the back seeing the options in front of him at the moment aren’t that great.

So, IMO, McGlashan for Taylor, Nelson or Romanski for Lancashire, Richards, when fit, to partner Crazy Legs Crane up top, midfield Alzate, Smith, Doughty and Anderson. If Dave ever gets fit he gets the Smith role and Woolery swaps for Anderson from the bench.
Pages: 1 ... 1885 1886 1887 [1888] 1889 1890 1891 ... 3973   Go Up
Print
Jump to: