Pages: 1 ... 1800 1801 1802 [1803] 1804 1805 1806 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8976207 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #27030 on: Sunday, June 24, 2018, 10:53:11 »

He's a 31 year old, out of contract L1 player. Chances are that wherever he is next season, he will be on less money. I can see it happening.

Exactly. What a lot of people seem to forget when it comes to players wages etc is that previous salaries are meaningless (although his salary with Southend was probably not that great anyway). What counts is what others are willing to pay here and now and how that compares to what we can/are willing to offer. I don't know what other offers Cox has, but I'm guessing that he's not as in demand as he used to be, so he won't have the bargaining power he used to either.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #27031 on: Sunday, June 24, 2018, 11:10:14 »

In the grand scheme of things it matters not who you want, you do not want, ex players, good bad or indifferent. Plowman can dig up all the stats he likes and tease you with his open questions, lob grenages and hand you the pin but in the end PB will put together a team he hopes will do the business this season. What does matter is getting behind that team.
True dat - Given that we weren't a million miles away last season  I'm hopeful that PB can make the shrewd tweaks and additions to the squad which will have us competing for a top 3 spot next season (or should we now be saying this season?) Doesn't matter if they've played for us before or who they may have played for previously. They can even have played for *gasp* Oxford as far as I'm concerned...

Eek Out
DiscoDazR

http://twitter.com/DiscoDazR

Ignore
« Reply #27032 on: Sunday, June 24, 2018, 12:32:15 »

Doesn't look like Coxy's overweight / unfit as some are suggesting!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjwX06XFby3/?hl=en&taken-by=scoxy31https://www.instagram.com/p/BjwX06XFby3/?hl=en&taken-by=scoxy31

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #27033 on: Sunday, June 24, 2018, 17:38:06 »

In my 'conscious' years of watching, which are essentially 2000 onwards, Cox is probably the most talented footballer we've had.

I'm not saying for one moment that he's the most effective. He isn't the best striker (nowhere near Austin for starters), or the best forward (nowhere near Parkin for starters), or the cleanest hitter of a ball (nowhere near Taylor for starters).

But he's got plenty of X factor about him. He scored 30+ goals, including 3 away hattricks, in one season for a 3rd tier Swindon team which, despite this input, was nearly relegated. Those goals which he scored vs Walsall at home, and vs Fenerbache in a friendly, wouldn't have been scored by any other Swindon player this century. His history with the club is only relevant in so far that it has taught us, for sure, that he can play. He wasn't reliant on pace, so having recently turned 31 isn't a big issue.

As we're frequently reminded, and with some justification, 'we are where we are'. We therefore are often reduced to signing journeymen who don't have much about them. I couldn't give a fuck if David Moss, or whoever, failed to cut the mustard second time around in 1980-something. I know from experience that Simon Cox, on a good day, is streets ahead of the 4th tier, and can also be a joy to watch.

I'm no lover of Norris, far from it. But if he were willing to muck in, and do what Paynter used to (to a slightly inferior standard, for sure), Cox could be the ideal partner for him. Well worth a punt for me.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #27034 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 07:02:16 »

In my 'conscious' years of watching, which are essentially 2000 onwards, Cox is probably the most talented footballer we've had.

I'm not saying for one moment that he's the most effective. He isn't the best striker (nowhere near Austin for starters), or the best forward (nowhere near Parkin for starters), or the cleanest hitter of a ball (nowhere near Taylor for starters).

But he's got plenty of X factor about him. He scored 30+ goals, including 3 away hattricks, in one season for a 3rd tier Swindon team which, despite this input, was nearly relegated. Those goals which he scored vs Walsall at home, and vs Fenerbache in a friendly, wouldn't have been scored by any other Swindon player this century. His history with the club is only relevant in so far that it has taught us, for sure, that he can play. He wasn't reliant on pace, so having recently turned 31 isn't a big issue.

As we're frequently reminded, and with some justification, 'we are where we are'. We therefore are often reduced to signing journeymen who don't have much about them. I couldn't give a fuck if David Moss, or whoever, failed to cut the mustard second time around in 1980-something. I know from experience that Simon Cox, on a good day, is streets ahead of the 4th tier, and can also be a joy to watch.

I'm no lover of Norris, far from it. But if he were willing to muck in, and do what Paynter used to (to a slightly inferior standard, for sure), Cox could be the ideal partner for him. Well worth a punt for me.

Very sensible post.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #27035 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 07:55:14 »

I couldn't give a fuck if David Moss, or whoever, failed to cut the mustard second time around in 1980-something.
Agree with this in particular - I have no idea why it should be taken into consideration in any way shape or form when assessing whether we should be signing Simon Cox (or any other player for that matter) in 2018. It's just as irrelevant as the fact that we've not won at Bradford Park Avenue since Harold Fleming was a twinkle in his father's eye... Roll Eyes
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #27036 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:08:05 »

I think the point is that when top players come back towards the end of their career the hope and expectation is that they will emulate previous greatness. It is almost better that they don't come back and tarnish the rose-tinted memory of them.

Having said that, my rose-tinted spectacles are ready for whoever we sign!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27037 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:13:14 »

Agree with this in particular - I have no idea why it should be taken into consideration in any way shape or form when assessing whether we should be signing Simon Cox (or any other player for that matter) in 2018. It's just as irrelevant as the fact that we've not won at Bradford Park Avenue since Harold Fleming was a twinkle in his father's eye... Roll Eyes

It really isn't rocket science.... take someone like Mossy.  In his prime he was excellent for us for a number of years, his slight misfortune that as a goal scoring winger he wasn't quite as good as The Don, but nevertheless a tremendous player, who went on and played successfully for Luton in the top flight.   People remember the player in his pomp, but tempus fugit and often players are going down the pyramid as their powers wane, so you're not getting the same player. It's always a bit sad to see, old heroes where the spirit may still be strong but the flesh less willing.

Flashheart

« Reply #27038 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:14:31 »

I think most rational people accept that Simon Cox today is not the Simon Cox of old. What matters is whether or not he's still up to the job that currently needs doing.
Panda Paws

« Reply #27039 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:20:44 »

If he wasn't an ex player, there'd be no discussion - he'd be a great signing. 1 in 3 as a 10 in the league above for the last 2 seasons in a team hardly pulling up trees.
Flashheart

« Reply #27040 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:23:04 »

If he wasn't an ex player, there'd be no discussion

Yep.

Quite baffling really.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #27041 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:23:59 »

I agree, a decent player is a decent player it doesn't matter if he played for us or the Pox in the past, its what he can bring to the team now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #27042 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:26:58 »

Poor return 26 in 79.

He was a 29 in 45 striker when he left us.

Poor return! Better 1 in every 3 games, yeah that’s really shocking.

Would take that every day of the week from a striker
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27043 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:29:39 »

I think most rational people accept that Simon Cox today is not the Simon Cox of old. What matters is whether or not he's still up to the job that currently needs doing.

Since when have any Town fans been rational? 
Amir

« Reply #27044 on: Monday, June 25, 2018, 08:54:37 »

If he wasn't an ex player, there'd be no discussion - he'd be a great signing. 1 in 3 as a 10 in the league above for the last 2 seasons in a team hardly pulling up trees.

Not everyone was sure first time around....

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=23492.0

I spent years ribbing my mate who said he didn't think too much of him, after the initial loan spell.
Pages: 1 ... 1800 1801 1802 [1803] 1804 1805 1806 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: