Pages: 1 ... 1776 1777 1778 [1779] 1780 1781 1782 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8990219 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #26670 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 08:33:20 »

Meh.

There isn’t a single player in that side that played regularly last season that I was desperate to keep. We’ve lost an above average league 2 defender to a club who is closer to his home and throwing money at it. So it’s no surprise.

Conroy has shown in glimpses he’s a better defender than Preston if he can stay fit and I still think McGivern could come good.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #26671 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 08:54:06 »

Or perhaps he does mean that he’d rather play somewhere where the fans don’t cheer when their leading goalscorer is substitutesd.

Remember he’s probably sat in the stands and had to listen to the abuse that the players get during games.

Who knows, that (along with the pots of gold he’s been offered) might have made the difference 😄

Or who cheer when their own player gets injured.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26672 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:30:34 »

If he'd stayed I'm pretty sure we won't be getting 7000 boos next season. I also think 4000 is optimistic on the Stage front.
Not a great start to building for next season in that Mansfield appear to be more attractive (throwing money at it) than us.
Also, unless we get another CB it gets players we don't want near the first team closer to it.
On the positive side its very early doors to read too much into anything. Panic for me will start mid to late July but hopefully won't be needed. 

We're much further forward this year than last, insofar as we have a number of under contract players, and a manager in place who's working on stuff like a pre-season. 

OK there's still work to be done, like a new cone carrier and one of the back room boys has jumped ship, to Mansfield, but we are at least looking like a steady Div 4 club.  Hopefully the alarm bell won't be required this season, it always precedes the panic button.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #26673 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:34:52 »

Or perhaps he does mean that he’d rather play somewhere where the fans don’t cheer when their leading goalscorer is substitutesd.

Remember he’s probably sat in the stands and had to listen to the abuse that the players get during games.

Who knows, that (along with the pots of gold he’s been offered) might have made the difference 😄
This is how I feel too.

Preston is a loss but certainly not hard to replace for the money we offered him.

Lets not forget the penalties he gave away needlessly with reckless challenges, he will grow and get better of course but we fucked Mansfield over with Calderwood so its probably a bit of payback.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:40:33 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #26674 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:37:20 »

I find it curious that players choose to follow Flitcroft despite others clearly hating him and rumours abound of bullying etc. It suggests to me that he has his favourites and very divided dressing rooms.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #26675 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:40:58 »

Maybe a toxic dressing room was a reason for going, but it's hardly worth wrist slashing for a half decent L2 CB.

Should make for an even more interesting couple of games next season!

Let's not forget, either, he was part of our defence that got torn to shreds by the likes of Crawley and Barnet last season.

As for us getting on the player's backs - it's hardly surprising given the dreadful shit served up.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #26676 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:41:03 »

I find it curious that players choose to follow Flitcroft despite others clearly hating him and rumours abound of bullying etc. It suggests to me that he has his favourites and very divided dressing rooms.
Sounds very Evansesque.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #26677 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:43:10 »

Let's not forget, either, he was part of our defence that got torn to shreds by the likes of Crawley and Barnet last season.
Add to that Luton at home and Stevenage away when we let in 5 apiece and also we did concede 37 goals in his 26 games for us.

TBF to him he never played in either of the home games you mention.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:45:06 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #26678 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:52:38 »

Maybe a toxic dressing room was a reason for going, but it's hardly worth wrist slashing for a half decent L2 CB.

Should make for an even more interesting couple of games next season!

As for us getting on the player's backs - it's hardly surprising given the dreadful shit served up.

Preston didn't play in either of those games.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #26679 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:55:54 »

Preston didn't play in either of those games.
See previous post Wink

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26680 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:57:10 »

And for an example of worth, see Akinfenwa at the County Ground v Akinfenwa at Wycombe.

No doubt some smart arse will turn this into 'saviour... new Miles Storey' at some point.

He's gone, time to move on.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #26681 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 09:59:39 »

If money was the reason, it doesn't bode well for anyone thinking we had a chance of signing Toffolo, Doughty or Ince.
Flashheart

« Reply #26682 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 10:04:04 »

If money was the reason, it doesn't bode well for anyone thinking we had a chance of signing Toffolo, Doughty or Ince.

Except we don't know what we offered him, other than it was a 3 year deal. We could have offered him a very good deal for a player that has just come back from a serious injury. It just so happens that the other club competing for his signature has a multi-millionaire sugar daddy.

As for the other players you mention, it will depend on what other offers they have on the table. As is (nearly) always the case.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26683 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 10:07:24 »

best to wait and see who signs/doesn't.

is imagine Taylor is a top earner, Preston not cheap... could free up same wiggle room having already lost one
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26684 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 10:08:27 »

There's probably never been a dressing room anywhere, in recent history, which is all sweetness and light. By recent I mean probably since the 60's and the removal of the maximum wage.

These are young men, often still very infantile, especially in the social media age.   It was summed up for me by Mark Schwarzer, who bench sat when Leicester won the Prem, it was put about by media and pundits, that they had some sort of great rapport between Ranieri and the players.  When asked what was the secret in the dressing room... he replied no-one speaks to each other they're all on their smartphones. Within months Ranieri was gone with Leicester still in the Champion's League.

Sometimes things just fall into place in a sort of right time right place way.  Leicester's success was partly credited to Steve Walsh, the scout, he was head hunted by Everton and recently sacked for signing a load of expensive crap.

Brown, obviously gets it, and being a bit old skool norvern, probably tries to treat them like naughty school boys, hence the legendary half time team talk on the pitch. 

In the Newport aftermath, we heard that PB delivered a bollocking where everyone is invited to chip in, he remarked that a player said what's the point, we've had 6 or 7 of these already and nothing changes.  Similarly it's no good trying to be their mate and playing computer games with them a la Luke.

PB obviously thinks he can handle the modern player, as shown by Nile, by trying to be a bit old skool and a bit down with the kids.  Flitters, just old skool hence the binning of Vigs, after giving him one more chance. It'll be interesting if PB can get anything out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 1776 1777 1778 [1779] 1780 1781 1782 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: