Pages: 1 ... 1121 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 1127 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8866855 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16845 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 19:40:40 »

Losing luongo would be a big blow. For me losing Williams would be bigger in the short term.

Beggars can't be choosers.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #16846 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 20:26:29 »

I was pondering the question on my drive home from work today:

Do we need to sell Luongo?

Not on the basis on being potless and needing the cash to pay the bills, but on the basis that:

- We have more midfielders than we can play - Reeves and Rodgers aren't getting a kick, and we're in danger of Reeves walking in the new year unless there's a change in the offing
- We could use the money to invest elsewhere in the squad - I'd love to see us bidding for Stephens and/or Turnbull
- If we're going to make this model work we need to be able to demonstrate to young players that they can sign for us on permanent deals, progress and move onto clubs at a higher level

Any thoughts?

..never go back.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #16847 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 20:38:47 »

If we sell, sell in the summer. We have a great chance of promotion and any sale will affect the the rest of the season
kerry red

« Reply #16848 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 20:54:36 »

Power is already preparing the fans for a sale - whether the drop in attendances is as bad as the club says or not.

Luongo seems to be favourite to go but the fee would have to be well in excess of £1m to make it worthwhile for the club.

Power has valued him between £2-3m.

Whether Williams stays with us or moves on he isn't going to earn anywhere near what he is presently on.

January will show whether Power is serious about attaining promotion or not
Flashheart

« Reply #16849 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 20:59:14 »

I think we'll sell a star player in January, but we'll still end up strengthening the squad.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #16850 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 21:07:11 »

I'd prefer to keep Kasim over Luongo and fortunately I can't imagine clubs queuing up to sign Kasim due to the fact he's only useful in a three man midfield. Not many clubs are going to adapt their system to accommodate a relatively unproven Iraqi international
kerry red

« Reply #16851 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 21:07:55 »

If Power is in it to make a few quid he can either sell players or, for a bigger payout, get us promoted and sell us as a Championship club.

Saying that, players are easier to sell than a club.

I do wonder if our progress this season had taken Power by surprise - much as it has the fans.

Until an owner is serious about updating the CG, I will take it as granted they are only here for the short term
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #16852 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 22:01:39 »

I'd prefer to keep Kasim over Luongo and fortunately I can't imagine clubs queuing up to sign Kasim due to the fact he's only useful in a three man midfield. Not many clubs are going to adapt their system to accommodate a relatively unproven Iraqi international

Same...

If Umbongo went I would be happy to get the dosh and spend some of it...

Clems Army!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #16853 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 22:14:02 »

Luongo, if he does go, will not be going for less than a ridonkulous fee. I think Power has proved time and time again he is a bloody good negotiator.

With Gladwin etc. in the wings Luongo won't be such a major loss as, say, Willo short term, but I don't really want him to go. I will trust the Cooper/Power team to make the right decision though.
Flashheart

« Reply #16854 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 22:14:19 »

I do wonder if our progress this season had taken Power by surprise

Nah.

We did quite well last season as well and he had a big influence on that.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #16855 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 22:26:22 »

Loungo will the biggest loss if he goes. Power needs to run it as he sees fit but it Luongo's value doesn't drop between Jan and end of the Season. Its just if Power can fund the rest of the season keeping him and hope for promotion.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #16856 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 23:11:05 »

Loungo will the biggest loss if he goes. Power needs to run it as he sees fit but it Luongo's value doesn't drop between Jan and end of the Season. Its just if Power can fund the rest of the season keeping him and hope for promotion.

I think I recall Power saying back in August when Rotherham were sniffing around Mass that the price of promotion and a season or 2 in the Championship is greater than one player sale. If we are OK financially in Jan I reckon Power will take a punt on promotion. If it fails we will no doubt see a fire sale in the summer. That said I don't know how good or bad the finances are. We may need some decent crowds between now and Jan to ensure the above is the case.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #16857 on: Monday, November 24, 2014, 23:14:41 »

In the past Power has outright stated Luongo is a "£2m player" so we should get at least a mil. But I have the confidence that Power/Coops are considering keeping this momentum going so if we have to sell to stay afloat, I have no doubt they'll re-invest most of it back in and bring in some more players/buy some of our loanees.

My one problem with seeing Luongo leave is that the connection Byrne and he have is incredible. Re-watch a lot of Byrne's highlights and Mass is the one feeding him perfect balls (chortle) down the wing for him to run onto.

But Power is the kind of bloke that will be seeing promotion as a bigger return than selling players in the middle of a very promising season.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #16858 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 12:54:50 »

I can see us selling someone and Smith & Luongo is probably the most valuable, we also have to remember that Luongo is now a full international with the Aussies so that will increase his value also. and Smith is a striker scoring goals so other teams will sit up and take notice.

I think the difference is if we do sell someone then I think Power has it about him to know how to replace that players.

I think losing one of our strikers though would be a huge blow to any chances we may have. So IF we have to sell someone it wold have to be Mass as we seem to have cover, albeit not proven as of yet.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #16859 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 13:04:35 »

Pointless worrying about things that may or may not come to pass. Sit back and enjoy, leave the angst to teams in the bottom half.
Pages: 1 ... 1121 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 1127 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: