Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon & Gilligham  (Read 2646 times)
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 12:45:01 »

I knew there was a rivalry, but never knew exactly why.

The rivalry between Gillingham and Swindon is one of the most unlikely in League football - but since the teams renewed acquaintance in 2006 after nearly nineteen years absence, it soon became apparent that the rivalry was just as intense, perhaps more so, than with some of the Town's local derbies - a fact surprising for any Town fan under forty years of age!.

The rivalry started in March 1979, when, with both teams in the running for promotion, Swindon visited Priestfield one position and three points behind the Gills, but with two games in hand. Gillingham themselves were equal on points with third-placed Swansea, and just three points behind leaders Watford. In a fiery match, the Gills went 2-0 ahead in the first 25 minutes, but ten minutes later the Town had pulled it back to 2-2. That was how the scoring stayed, but other events were to make the game far more memorable. After Gillingham had goalscorer Westwood sent off for foul and abusive language, Priestfield went into uproar, incensed by what they considered to be poor refereeing and gamesmanship by Town player Ray McHale - and in the second half, a Gills fan got onto the pitch and punched the referee - knocking him out.

It got worse for Gillingham when they visited Swindon for the return leg in May. Now a point ahead of the Town and in a promotion spot, Gillingham had another player sent off for a tackle on McHale, and after the Town went 3-0 up, their players began to single out McHale for some retribution, the game turning nasty again. The game eventually finished 3-1, and as the players returned to the dressing room, there was a fracas in the tunnel - Swindon coach Wilf Tranter having to go to hospital with facial injuries after being punched. Two Gills players ended up in court over the incident, both were acquitted - and the season ended with both teams missing out on promotion - the Gills by a single point, which they considered to be stolen from them during the two games with Swindon, and a rivalry was born.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 12:46:17 »

I think I read that before...
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 12:52:38 »

Probably, swindon-town-fc.co.uk
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 12:58:22 »

I don't think so.
flammableBen

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 13:30:21 »

There was a thread about this recently. Someone posted a link to a big article about it and then reg came along and said that they were just desperate for a rivalry becasue they didn't have one and were moaning fuckers or something. I think he compared them to Franchise.
land_of_bo

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 15:12:42 »

I thought Gillingham was in Dorset? They should be rivals with Bournemouth.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 15:49:20 »

no, its in Kent.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 16:13:48 »

I was at those games,thinking back unbiasedly they probably have a valid point, it was hilarious to watch for a young boy
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 17:14:47 »

Quote from: "land_of_bo"
I thought Gillingham was in Dorset? They should be rivals with Bournemouth.

?

I fear that one may have flew over my head  Cool
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 17:43:54 »

My mate used to bang on about Gillingham being a local rival, turns out he was talking about some village in Dorset rather than the K*ntish Gillingham.

The amount of times I told him he was wrong...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 17:46:33 »

Ah right. I wondered where the joke was.

I moved away from Medway 21 years ago and I haven't returned. Probably for the best.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 18:58:46 »

My friend follows Swansea and went last week at Gillingham,and vows its the worst place hes ever been too...a real dump.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 19:02:01 »

Quote from: "leefer"
My friend follows Swansea and went last week at Gillingham,and vows its the worst place hes ever been too...a real dump.

Probably gives Port Talbot a miss then.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 20:25:54 »

Quote from: "leefer"

you never been to Gills away Leefer ?

Ever ?
land_of_bo

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 20:33:15 »

Gillingham, Dorset. Near Shaftesbury. Just down the A350 from Warminster.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: