Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suggestions for expanding thetownend.com  (Read 34350 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 12:40:06 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "janaage"
Wouldn't we have to change it to thepavillionend.com then though?  And as it's a Swindon website that means there'd only be about two people here if Swindon CC is anything to go by.

If we had thepavilionend.com I could post picture sof old scorecards on it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Reg__Smeeton/Copyofscorecard.jpg

I like it reg, maybe this pavillionend.com could be a winner.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 12:48:34 »

July 1967 for those interested.....the tourists had some good names .....Asif Iqbal, Wasim Bari and Intikhab Alam......Inty took 8-61 with his legbreak and googly, which for  many years was his best first class return.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 13:21:05 »

I don't think we really need news/player profiles unless someone has the time to do it well as you can get that from a lot of other sites but some columns and stuff, a photos section including whits photos from games, match reviews etc. etc. would be good and shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 13:27:51 »

That was my initial reaction, but eventually someone probably SY will have to take executive editorial decisions......if someone wants to do the usual stuff that gets done elsewhere, and can do it to a decent standard then it has to be considered.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 13:28:16 »

We could have an alternative (ie fake/false) player profiles, a jokey write up on players such as

Sam Parkin - d.o.b 30.11.81

Known as the Tartan Tornado Sam was signed from Kilmarnock in a swap deal for Daniele In-vin-che-blay (plus $1.5m) in July 2001.  Scoring a hat trick in his league debut for Town the scottish striker wasted no time becoming a Swindon legend, despite the town's hatred of all things Scottish.  Despite being linked to Real Madrid and Colo-Colo Sam remains at the County Ground where he is happy to win medal after medal each year.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 13:50:32 »

I'd love to write some fake profiles.  Cool That is something missing from all the other sites.

Maybe we should start off with the basic site and things you can't get anywhere else and then if there's people who can do all the extra stuff then expand on that.

Depends how much time people have, if someone wants to do a section then why not.
le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 14:00:26 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
I don't think we really need news/player profiles unless someone has the time to do it well as you can get that from a lot of other sites but some columns and stuff, a photos section including whits photos from games, match reviews etc. etc. would be good and shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I'd agree with most of that - no point in doing player profiles & history etc because you can use www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk for all that sort of stuff. likewise latest news would be a waste of time because people would just look on the official site or the adver site for that, & the match reports.

i like the idea of the the 'alternative' profiles though & whits' picture thing
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 14:14:18 »

David Duke - The Pele of the North

Ever since Davie watched his first old firm match, back in 1979, he wanted to be a professional footballer and at the tender age of just 12 years and four months Dumbarton granted "Davie" his wish.  Unfortunately his leg was broken in four places during that match, which kept young Davie out of football for the next 8 years.  He'd have to wait a long time until Andy King, would give him his second chance.  Once given that chance however, Dukey never looked back.  An ever present in the Swindon Town first time since the dawn of the new millenium, a cult hero he has become.  And if you're ever in the Old Town area of town, keep an eye out for the 15 foot solid lead statue of the Pele of the North, a real sight to see.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 14:40:11 »

The Swindon Town Legends Profile Column: This week, Matthew Hewlett

2005 was a sad year for many. When Town were unable to fulfill their promotion dream, it left many disillusioned with the beautiful game, especially with one Matthew Hewlett. Joining Swindon in 2000 Hewlett had to win the fans over, especially after playing for rival team Bristol City. However Hewlett  managed to win the fans over with his superior shooting skills and ball retention.

Unfortunately Hewlett was not offered a contract renewal in the summer of 2005 - branded as a political issue by some fans after the ongoing rows between the clubs president Willie Carson and manager Sir Andy King.
The laugh was on Carson though, when Hewlett moved to local rival Cirencester Town and turned the clubs fortunes around almost single-handedly within one season. His career blossomed soon after, winning 23 England  caps and scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup final 2008.

Hewlett, now regarded as one of the best midfielders the game has ever produced, has since retired and advertises impotency treatment with Pele.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:13:39 »

Seriously SY do you think folk on here have the discipline and organisational skills to take something likre this seriously?

Not really, no! I'm not going to run around the forums demanding people update their columns, contribute something or whatever. It's entirely voluntary and I'm not going to sulk and go off in a huff if people don't take it seriously. Personally, I'll be putting in the hard work and I'm happy to do so. However, once I go to college somebody may have to help me out a little.

Quote from: "Kinky Tom"
We could have a section after each game where we each give a mark out of ten for every player, using some software that lets each member vote on the teams performances only once a game.

The software could then work out every player average rating for each game, which can be kept on a list throughout the season, culminating in an average rating for the season CM/FM style.

The player with the highest score over the season can be named the 'Townend.com Player of the Season'.

If the software to do this is hard to come by or utilise then I could keep all the data on a spreadsheet that can be posted after each game.

I like this idea actually and it shouldn't be too difficult to implement - set up a poll after each game, work out an average mark for each player per game then total them up at the end of the season. I'll have a word with my mate about this.

But if you feel like doing the odd something and posting it up you can do that here anyhow.....Ok agree it doesn't really matter if it falls flat, but I think SY sees a really decent effort...not your typical nerdy boy web page type thing.

Which will of course require time and effort.

You forget that I am a typical nerdy boy, Reg. As I've said, I'll be willing to put the donkey work in, all I want is some regular/occasional contributors so the website isn't totally empty, I don't want it to turn into somewhere just for me to moan about stuff. I've got a blog for that already.

Quote from: "Dazzza"
Anyone fancy having a crack at some sort of logo?

My mate (SEPTiMUS) is going to have a crack when he gets round to it. I've told him not to use yellow :0

Quote from: "Boeta"
personally i think we should go for more of a fanzine style hotch-potch than trying to make site with stats and profiles are other boring things

I've never read an STFC fanzine, so I'm not entirely sure what it would entail but I'm not proposing a website that's going to focus purely on stats etc, it's more about fans opinions than anything else. Basically, the stats, squad profiles, club info is just a bit of background information to attract the punters.

Quote from: "Whits"
Can i have a column called Whits on Tour with pictures from away day travels Very Happy

Definitely! I meant to put that in my original post actually.

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
I don't think we really need news/player profiles unless someone has the time to do it well as you can get that from a lot of other sites

Fair point but you can't go wrong with a bit of background info really, as I said it would be to attract the punters more than anything. Player stats are probably unnecesary, but a squad list with an alternative profile as suggested elsewhere in the thread would be superb. I'd be willing to knock up a paragraph on each player, wouldn't take me too long.

Quote from: "le god cuervo"
Likewise latest news would be a waste of time because people would just look on the official site or the adver site for that, & the match reports.

Agreed, but a daily summary of the news with nothing but headlines and a sentence about each would suffice. It'd be easier for people than trawling through all the other websites as well. I'd be willing to do that as well.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming guys. I've just crawled out of bed and I'm pleased to see you're all so enthusiastic!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:17:11 »

What about the fake player profiles section?  That's gotta be included!!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:24:55 »

Well it seems we may have the basis for a really good site here I reckon.

If your mate cannot sort out the player ratings thing (I'm sure he can quite easily though) I'd be happy to be responsible for maintainig it.  It'd give me something to do if I jet of to France for a few months of snowboarding at the end of the year, as is my plan.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:32:06 »

Quote from: "janaage"
What about the fake player profiles section?  That's gotta be included!!

I said it would be, I think. It's class  Cool
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:39:46 »

Lloyd Opara - Lloyd Opara arrived at Swindon amidst waves of speculation of an upcoming premiership transfer, Swindon finally signing the young star after a move to Chelsea collapsed on premiership deadline day after they couldn't match Opara's wage demands.

The 16 year old moroccan former world motorcycle champion took just days to settle into his starring role in the Swindon attack marking his debut with a double hatrick and continuing in a similar vein.  Over the course of the 2004-2005 season Opara won plaudits from footballing pundits across the country including Alan Hansen and some bloke off final score. He won admirers aplenty among Swindon's many fans with lifelong Swindon fan Angus Deayton likening him to a "armadillo on speed" after one of his scintillating runs cut yet another opponents defence to pieces and then he finished with a beautiful 30-yard curling shot into the upper right corner that's since gone down in history as one of the premierships greatest ever goals, prompting Mark Lawrenson whose always had a loose grasp of geography to christen him "the Russian Pele".

Unfortunately just days later Swindon fans were distraught when Opara was poached from Swindon by big-spending Alderley Town from the onference south, who wanted to disrupt Swindons championship campaign as they've held a long standing grudge against Swindon since the infamous riot in which 5 Alderley players were shot by Swindon's goalkeeper Brian Tershaw who was later jailed for petty theft.

Swindon fans went into mourning for weeks after and the brunel centre grinded to a standstill as fans declared themselves "too depressed to shop".   Many fans were driven close to sucicde.

Swindon's season never really recovered from the sledgehammer in the bollocks that was Opara leaving and the club shop reported a 98% decline in shirt sales.

Swindon fans will doubtless be hoping that an Opara replacement will be found sooner rather than later.

(For the Town Legends section).
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:43:07 »

I KISS YOU!

"armadillo on speed"

:Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: