Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Why are we being so negative...?"  (Read 22870 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #75 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 17:32:55 »

Sorry reg i meant the bit about Fitton pulling the plug .
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 17:35:16 »

Imagine if he'd been our Manager in this day and age, there would have been a protest to sack, not to reinstate him.  Unproven Scot (in management) with seemingly no contacts in the lower leagues or experience of it.  Created one of the most direct teams in the Country, so no flowing football on the "grass" (not sure there was much grass on the pitch in the mid 80's and until Ardiles arrived).  Presumably Beck carried on his mantle to some extent with the way he ran Cambridge.  Imagine it, that style of football, that background, that run of results, he'd have been lynched.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #77 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 17:38:49 »

And rightly so Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 17:39:33 »

Quote from: "Don Rogers Shop"
Sorry reg i meant the bit about Fitton pulling the plug .

Fair enough,  but it is a concern that MM  has been geting so much flak.  AF stated he was in this for football reasons, he isn't especially a fan of STFC.  As Spence states AF may be an idealist, but he saved our club, so for me he'll get my backing even if the football continues to be a bit shit for now, and MM so far hasn't set the world on fire.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 17:49:01 »

I'm waiting until the end of the season before I make any decision on Malpas, and depending on how that goes, I'll probably be willing to give him until next January at the very least.

We have some really shite teams to play in the next few weeks and although people may find it hard to conceive, they are perfectly winnable!!! It's not exactly likely, but it is possible that we could beat Vale, Gillingham, Rovers and Millwall and we would all look a bit silly for complaining. I think Tails made a valid point when he highlighted the fact we've played a lot of teams from the top end. Between now and the end of the season is Malpas' chance to prove himself and turn things around.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #80 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 17:51:24 »

Quote from: "lebowski"

Clearly I am a bit more selective about whose opinions I take as gospel than you are.

Each to their own.
I agree although on this occasion i will take notice of the ex international,european cup winners, fa cup and league cup and premier league winners version on events Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 18:05:42 »

Quote from: "lebowski"

Clearly I am a bit more selective about whose opinions I take as gospel than you are.

Each to their own.
I agree although on this occasion i will take notice of the ex international,european cup winners, fa cup and league cup and premier league winners version on events Wink

Fair play to Adams for having a go, but he got Wycombe relegated in his only crack at management.  

As for playing players out of position, they all do it at some time of other.  

Especially when you first start the job, you need to see what you have to work with.  Sometimes its just an expedient, like when Lou Macari had Jimmy Quinn playing as sweeper, or when Glen Hoddle had Dave Mitchell playing centre half marking Sir Les.

Other times it works out great like Danny Williams who turned Rod Thomas from a fairly inept midfielder, into an international class full back, and Joe Butler from a steady left back into the prototype holding midfielder.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #82 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 18:09:31 »

I see what your saying reg but come on most of the decisions have not been forced on him he is swapping about for the sake of it by the look of it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 19:12:41 »

I see what your saying reg but come on most of the decisions have not been forced on him he is swapping about for the sake of it by the look of it

MM said he wanted a creative midfielder....presumably someone who can pass...McGovern had apparently played there before, well according to Sturrock, so I think its lets see if he can do it.  (Its pretty clear he can't, but how long do you stick with it? ) When King shoved Howard into central midfield he looked a bit like a fish out of water, yet now he's supposed to be onn the verge of a 3mill move to the Prem in that position.
SwindonStevo

« Reply #84 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 22:20:32 »

when your one win in ten and you need a result you dont play three or more players out of position.

Also play one of your best wingers in central midfield and  then have the nerve to complain about the standard of the crosses coming in....particlary as you also had a guy whos played central midfield all his life out on the right.

i just get the impression we could get relegated this year and some people will still say we have 'been unlucky' and to give him another six months.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 22:28:37 »

Quote from: "SwindonStevo"
when your one win in ten and you need a result you dont play three or more players out of position.

Also play one of your best wingers in central midfield and  then have the nerve to complain about the standard of the crosses coming in....particlary as you also had a guy whos played central midfield all his life out on the right.

i just get the impression we could get relegated this year and some people will still say we have 'been unlucky' and to give him another six months.

If we were to go down I'm pretty sure everybody would be pretty pissed off with Malpas and with the players. The reason some people are being conservative now is because we are not going to get relegated.
SwindonStevo

« Reply #86 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 22:48:22 »

although based on his record had malpas been in charge all year we would be battling relegation....despite excuses of bad luck and 'playing the top teams'
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 22:59:05 »

although based on his record had malpas been in charge all year we would be battling relegation....despite excuses of bad luck and 'playing the top teams'

Every team has a bad run. We didn't really have a bad run under Sturrock. Yes we lost a few games but never lost 3 in a row. We were always going to hit a bad spell and we have.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #88 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 22:59:38 »

Bollocks it's all ifs and buts. I could equally argue, that had Malpas got the players in he wanted in the summer, instead of what was left here, trained them, the way he wanted, got them playing a certain way - we'd be top of this league and already promoted.

The form when he took over was near-enough that of Sturrock's tenure. In 20 games time he may still be averaging as crap as he is now though or he may pick the team up and do better, thus raising us up to as good as or better than we were before.

Of course both points of view are purely hypotheses.
flammableBen

« Reply #89 on: Monday, March 31, 2008, 23:01:56 »

It's not just Swindon, the whole nation has descended into a nightmare realm of negativity. Everybody is so used to constantly being told that everything is shit that we now just accept it and skip straight to the stage where we look for someone to blame.

I blame the tabloids... oh shit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: