Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Why are we being so negative...?"  (Read 22878 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #30 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 16:10:53 »

You say they did not set the world alight but players like Ifil,aljofree,peacock even zaboub add to that cox and paynter  were playing at a fairly consistent level maybe not great but consistent  under sturrock  .

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 16:15:20 »

dress it up all you want.we have gone backwards since malpas took over.whether he can turn it around is the issue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 16:19:48 »

Quote from: "arriba"
dress it up all you want.we have gone backwards since malpas took over.whether he can turn it around is the issue.

tp be fair, if Malpas was any good he wouldnt have anything to turn around in the first place.

we're going backwards under Malpas, its alright saying give him pre-season and a chance to bring in his own players but personally I dont see whats so wrong about our squad.

Its a good squad and I dont think Malpas needs to do alot of wheeling and deeling in the summer.

The pre-season stuff also doesnt make sense to me because the last two pre-seasons have been good and the players have looked fit. The only manager who really got screwed over by not having pre-season was Iffy because the pre-season that season done by Reeves & King was fucking awful and our players were unfit from the off...
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 17:13:15 »

Quote from: "Don Rogers Shop"
You say they did not set the world alight but players like Ifil,aljofree,peacock even zaboub add to that cox and paynter  were playing at a fairly consistent level maybe not great but consistent  under sturrock  .

:shock:
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #34 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 17:16:42 »

Zaboub was better under Sturrock than he has been for Malpas but then he has been playing on the right
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 17:24:22 »

Quote from: "DV"
Quote from: "arriba"

The only manager who really got screwed over by not having pre-season was Iffy because the pre-season that season done by Reeves & King was fucking awful and our players were unfit from the off...

I saw a number of training sessions that pre season and the problem was that  :king: ended up lumbered with the thing he was shit at, namely training and coaching.  This, because of cut backs in the coaching staff like Crosby.

King was basically using methods he'd used as a player himself in the late 70's early 80's.....it was obvious we would struggle.

I think the players are the problem....insofar as they came in to play for Sturrock and seem a bit down that he's fucked off and left them with MM.

He needs to get the bulk of these out,  and replace them with his own type of player and teh kids.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 17:24:26 »

Zaboub was better under Sturrock than he has been for Malpas but then he has been playing on the right

Absolute toss Zaboub was more inconsistent arguably under Sturrock just because he played alot more games.  If Zaboub played as well as he did Cheltenham away he would be playing at a higher level, I hate to break to to you but Sturrock couldn't get him playing well consistently either.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 17:26:30 »

Playing a left footer on the right is not that stupid....Lionel Messi, arguably the current world number 1....is a left footed player playing on the right,
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #38 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 17:27:58 »

I said he was better not more consistent
lebowski

« Reply #39 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 19:36:44 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
I think the players are the problem....insofar as they came in to play for Sturrock and seem a bit down that he's fucked off and left them with MM.

He needs to get the bulk of these out,  and replace them with his own type of player and teh kids.

I have that feeling too.

And anyway, comparing Malpas to Sturrock is ridiculous. If I had the inclination, I could find 20+ utterances of "Sturrock is the best manager outside the Premiership" on this forum, yet people are not just surprised, but absolutely disgusted that his successor isn't as good!

We didn't know how lucky we were with Sturrock. He's gone now. We have to re-build.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 20:59:36 »

Quote from: "Mark Hanrahan"
I know I sounds like a broken record but Lou Macari hardly had the best of starts to life at the CG did he?

That is true Mr H. However, the difference with Macari is that the fans, to a man, could see that, playing wise, we were going in the right direction under him even though that was not always reflected in the results. Consequently, when Macari was sacked, the reaction of the fans was totally unpresidented and something I have not seen at any other club in the land in the 20 odd years since. It was without doubt the fans who got Macari reinstated. And the rest, as they say, is history. I somehow don't think that would happen with Mr Malpas.

I'm certainly not from the Malpas Out camp. Any new manager needs time, not just 5 or 6 games but a whole season. That said though, we need to start showing some kind of improvement soon. That does not seem to be happening right now. Until it does, it will be difficult to back him with any degree of confidence. Unless performances do start to improve consistantly, the question in my mind will be, "Has he really got what it takes to turn things round, or will giving him a whole season just be as season wasted?" I am glad it's a question I don't have to answer. I hope Messrs Fitton Watkins et al are ready to address it.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 21:03:20 »

Quote from: "lebowski"
We didn't know how lucky we were with Sturrock

Just for the record, I did. He was and still would be, the perfect manager for our club.

OK, I promise not to mention Sturrock again. Let's move on!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, March 29, 2008, 11:07:06 »

Quote from: "OOH!  SHAUN TAYLOR"
I know I sounds like a broken record but Lou Macari hardly had the best of starts to life at the CG did he?

That is true Mr H. However, the difference with Macari is that the fans, to a man, could see that, playing wise, we were going in the right direction under him even though that was not always reflected in the results.

Thing is we've played fairly well recently, with the odd game or two being a disaster, so why isn't it the same? When you consider our last games have been against..

Tranmere
Southend
Brighton
Carlisle (daylight robbery)
Leyton Orient

Who are all in the mix for promotion, and before that...

Huddersfield (which we won of course)
Leeds (where we were completely robbed, IMO)
Oldham (which we drew, not a bad point away from home)
Walsall
Forest

With the last 2 being up there as well. Is anyone going to consider the fact that maybe Malpas has been unlucky with the opposition he's come up against? We've got Donny coming up aswell, maybe it would have been a different story had we had easier opposition. Ie, the likes of the teams we've beaten.. Luton, Cheltenham, Huddersfield...
adje

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, March 29, 2008, 11:29:07 »

Tails in sensible post sensation!Spot on

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
dell boy

« Reply #44 on: Saturday, March 29, 2008, 12:00:14 »

Quote from: "Tails"
Quote from: "OOH!  SHAUN TAYLOR"

That is true Mr H. However, the difference with Macari is that the fans, to a man, could see that, playing wise, we were going in the right direction under him even though that was not always reflected in the results.

Thing is we've played fairly well recently, with the odd game or two being a disaster, so why isn't it the same? When you consider our last games have been against..

Tranmere
Southend
Brighton
Carlisle (daylight robbery)
Leyton Orient

Who are all in the mix for promotion, and before that...

Huddersfield (which we won of course)
Leeds (where we were completely robbed, IMO)
Oldham (which we drew, not a bad point away from home)
Walsall
Forest

With the last 2 being up there as well. Is anyone going to consider the fact that maybe Malpas has been unlucky with the opposition he's come up against? We've got Donny coming up aswell, maybe it would have been a different story had we had easier opposition. Ie, the likes of the teams we've beaten.. Luton, Cheltenham, Huddersfield...

All the sides below us in the league have a better record against said opposition above I believe, even Cheltenham and Gillingham.
He may be an unlucky manager, and that being the case even more reason to get rid of him.

Give me a lucky forward who gets those LUCKY bounces, or a lucky winner on the horses anyday. Its even harder to raise your game when you believe you are doing nothing wrong and still losing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: