Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luton v Swierndon matchday thread  (Read 30204 times)
sonic youth

« Reply #375 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 23:56:14 »

roberts has also had to adapt his game somewhat over the years, obviously being moved from up front to the wing but also he lost that electric pace he had before those hernia operations.

no doubting jp's effectiveness when crossing the ball but i don't find him exciting to watch. i think i differ from a lot of fans because i'd rather be entertained than see us grind out results and roberts is undoubtedly the more entertaining player.

i don't understand why people boo players like zaaboub and roberts. i've seen games where zaaboub has looked lazy and disinterested and in those circumstances, i think it's perfectly reasonable to give him a bit of shit. the same applies to roberts although to a lesser extent, he is always willing to give his all.

you're spot on about roberts' unpredictability, it does make him fucking tough to defend against. as for his personality - king never got anything out of roberts and nor did iffy. i think it speaks volumes that wise and sturrock managed to bring out his ability.
Barry Scott

« Reply #376 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 00:00:21 »

I love em both. Cheltenham game early in the season, they were both fucking amazing and tore their defence to pieces constantly. I think their players wished they'd phoned in sick that day because they completely took the piss.

I think that's why people get so pissed off with them. They know how amazing they can be, but they just can't do it regularly. Mind you if they could play like their lives depended on it, every week, then neither would be in this league imo.
Barry Scott

« Reply #377 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 00:07:56 »

Actually it may have been Northampton. Fuck knows.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 00:32:22 »

that was a fun evening out. Lots of positives from the game - coped in midfield ok and at the back without Jerel. We didn't play well but Luton really are a bit shit - they had nothing threatening up front.

We looked Ok at times going forward, particularly with comminges, JP and roberts, there was much of a threat on the other wing.

Corr looked short of service as a target man and dropped back a lot to try and get the ball.

Roberts goal was ace - skinned two defenders and buried it under the keeper and into the net.
Panda Paws

« Reply #379 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 00:38:55 »

Just got back, first and foremost what a shit hole that place is!

Luton were poor. Big and strong but lacking any real quality. They just lump it up to furlong up top and pick up the pieces. It's clear from the injuries that our two centre halves have both picked up, cuts to the head, that they had a real aerial battle with furlong and talbot/parkin.

First half both teams didn't really threaten, but second half we came out, got the ball down and began running at them. Robbo was awesome second half and for the first 20 of the second period we should have had more than the one goal. McNamee and Moses both tired, and Hasney went off injured, after this we seemed to settle for what we had, although still threatened on the break and should have had a penalty. Kanyuka was fantastic, as was Miguel and Peacock. The front two worked hard but missed some real chances, particularly Moses' in the first half.

Overall a solid performance and another clean sheet, 8 league games unbeaten and a winnable game saturday at home to Northampton.

A special note to the referee, one of the most bizarre performances I've seen for a long time, with some inexplicable decisions against both teams.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 01:00:54 »

Strange ground, I liked it though... apart from the seats being so close it was impossible to sit down if you are anything over about 6 foot. Nice to go to a ground with character rather than the soul-less bowls that are springing up everywhere.

Brez - Barely had a save to make all night
Back four - Superb, didn't give Luton a sniff all game. Aljofree missed a couple of headers but other than that they didn't put a foot wrong. We've got a right gem in Kanyuka, very impressed.
McNamee - He's got talent, when he gets fully fit and settled in he will cause defenders big problems.
Roberts - Quiet in the 1st half, second half their left back just couldn't handle him. Quality goal.
McGovern - Much better than he was a Crewe in the middle. Decent distribution, would still rather have Easton and Peacock when all are fit though.
Peacock - What you'd expect, got stuck in.
Ashikodi - He's quick, no doubt in that... finishing needs some work.
Corr - Had a quiet game.

Sturrock - Held the ball up well, couple of neat turns that nearly got him through on goal.
Zaaboub - Looks like the competition is doing him good, had a couple of runs but most of the play seemed to be going through Roberts.
Nicho - Did the job

First half things were pretty even, neither team really looked up for it. Second half, much improved. Parkin came on at half time and probably only touched it 4/5 times, certainly can't remember him getting a shot away.

Finally, I think others may have said it, Byrne has completely won me over. When he was first caretaker I thought he was a bit of a twat, but now I can't help but like the bloke. His reaction at the final whistle today was excellent and he always makes the effort to come over and have a chat during the warm-up etc.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 06:22:40 »

byrne was fucking great last night. during warm up playing a bit of football with the yougsters at the front, really made there night. his reaction at the end said it all, the bloke gives a shit.

kanyuka looks a good buy.
conversation at half time
 bennet " roberts worries me he doesnt defend properly and leaves miguel open"
mex" roberts will win this for us, hes the only match winner we have out there stop worrying."
 Cheesy
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 07:31:50 »

Quote from: "i was once mexico red"
byrne was fucking great last night. during warm up playing a bit of football with the yougsters at the front, really made there night. his reaction at the end said it all, the bloke gives a shit.

kanyuka looks a good buy.
conversation at half time
 bennet " roberts worries me he doesnt defend properly and leaves miguel open"
mex" roberts will win this for us, hes the only match winner we have out there stop worrying."
 Cheesy

we were both right  Cheesy

i loved byrnes benjani-esque celebration after the game yesterday pointing at the crowd

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 07:59:42 »

What do you guys expect, hes been given a massive chance and he knows if he gets teh fans on side one day he will manage us

axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 08:17:50 »

Oh and good stewards - all friendly and helpful, no aggro, and let us stand at the back. Even told us to mind the steps out the back as it had been raining and they were slippery.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 08:36:23 »

Quote from: "Fred Elliot"
Quote from: "Sussex"
Birdy: "I can't get World to work."

Sussex: "Have you got the sound on?"

Birdy: "Um, no."

Sussex: "Bye".

I JUST lAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THAT

you stupid bitch

It's all lies, fuck off I'm having a bad time leave me alone.
DMR

« Reply #386 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 10:09:57 »

Quality result last night, perfect response to 2 games of dross, go and battle an away win out.

I love Christian Roberts  Cool
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 10:15:48 »

Quote from: "i was once mexico red"

Cheesy

Whats that bit about, bit confused? What did Byrne actually do?

I like the bloke I have to say, always acknowledges the fans.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 10:23:56 »

I cant be bothered to read back the pages however I assume most are aware Oxford also lost to Aldershot last night as well?  Cheesy
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 12:05:25 »

Cant be bothered to trawl through but just wanted to say that I heard Redbulleyez "18 birthday song" shout out on BBc wiltshire radio on the way home from swimming ace

Mine is 2 become 2 by the Spice girls - how apt!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: