Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Canal through the town centre  (Read 8510 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 12:33:36 »

Quote from: "STFCDude2"
Quote from: "STFC dave"

There is a divide from north and south almost due to the railway

is there? news to me

wouldn't suprise me though, those dirty south swindoners

Does that make me a dirty fucking northerner, cos I live in Haydon Wick?!

no, it means we live in the best part of swindon  Cool

Things get better but they never get good
Spud

« Reply #46 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 13:34:27 »

Quote from: "Iffy's Onion Bhaji"
Quote from: "my-velocity"
How about spending that money on a decent music venue or two. We could do with a carling academy.

Well 12Bar is decent enough. If people want a live music venue then they will have to get off their arse and go to some local gigs otherwise it will never happen. You have to show that you are interested in live music. Sadly not many people in Swindon are.

I beg to differ on that part, loads of people go to gigs outside of Swindon to various venues be it in Bristol or London.

If there was a decent venue here then decent bands would turn up and im pretty sure the people of Swindon would aswell.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 13:43:12 »

I went to 12Bar last Sat night, it was alright but I wouldn't really call it a "venue".
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 13:59:45 »

Quote from: "Spud"
How about spending that money on a decent music venue or two. We could do with a carling academy.

Well 12Bar is decent enough. If people want a live music venue then they will have to get off their arse and go to some local gigs otherwise it will never happen. You have to show that you are interested in live music. Sadly not many people in Swindon are.

I beg to differ on that part, loads of people go to gigs outside of Swindon to various venues be it in Bristol or London.

If there was a decent venue here then decent bands would turn up and im pretty sure the people of Swindon would aswell.

There are decent bands in Swindon that's my point. If people in Swindon really want a Carling what do you call it then they need to support the local music scene. Just because people like my band and others never get radio play or a record deal no one is ever interested. It's about time people in Swindon starting appreciating how good the music scene is here and coming to gigs very often. Otherwise everyone's beloved Academy will never happen.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #49 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:06:12 »

There are decent bands in Swindon that's my point. If people in Swindon really want a Carling what do you call it then they need to support the local music scene. Just because people like my band and others never get radio play or a record deal no one is ever interested. It's about time people in Swindon starting appreciating how good the music scene is here and coming to gigs very often. Otherwise everyone's beloved Academy will never happen.

I completely disagree with that. The vast majority of local bands are shite. A decent venue would attract better (more popular anyway) bands to Swindon.

Anyways, if anyone wants to come see some live music my new band are playing at the furnace tonight! ;-)
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:11:12 »

A fair point John. I'm not denying that a good venue would be great for Swindon. Anyway isn't this thread about a canal or something?  
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #51 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:14:35 »

which is ace, like i said! Add about 50k to the value of my house. Maybe i'll invest it in a venue  Cheesy
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:21:21 »

Quote from: "jayohaitchenn"

I completely disagree with that. The vast majority of local bands are shite. A decent venue would attract better (more popular anyway) bands to Swindon.

Anyways, if anyone wants to come see some live music my new band are playing at the furnace tonight! ;-)

Ooh i didnt know you would be playing!? Any idea what time your set is? I'll try to get there earlier!
my-velocity

« Reply #53 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:32:41 »

:goodpost: It's alright people saying that there are venues in bristol, london, reading etc but we need one decent one here that'll attract some big bands/singers. I went to see The Hoosiers at 12bar couple of months ago and although i do like 12bar it's not big enough.
flammableBen

« Reply #54 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:35:16 »

You have to remember that both London and Bristol are bigger than Swindon. Even with a half decent sized venue I still think we'd struggle to attract a lot of bands without a university.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #55 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 14:36:44 »

I think what Iffy was saying is that there isn't a market for a decent music venue. I suppose more people do go when some bigger artists play at the Oasis, but these are not usually the sort of bands I would go and see.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #56 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 15:06:19 »

Miss Angry, doors are at 20:00hrs, i think we're on first or second so either 20:30 or 21:00ish?

be good to see you there! x
sonic youth

« Reply #57 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 15:32:11 »

which is ace, like i said! Add about 50k to the value of my house. Maybe i'll invest it in a venue  Cheesy
until it floods
DMR

« Reply #58 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 16:00:59 »

I'm not local and I only ever go to Swindon for footy and occassionally golf, or a night out so I dont really have an opinion per se, but it sounds like a bit of pie in the sky idea to me.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #59 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 16:22:08 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
until it floods

i'll be selling and moving to old town as soon as it is completed  Cool

i don't want to live next to a fucking canal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: