Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: if you had to vote for player of the year now?  (Read 6240 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 21:22:48 »

Ifil.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 21:56:47 »

I remember a while back when everyone thought Sean O'Hanlon was a better player than Jerel Ifil  Cheesy
glos_robin

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 21:59:06 »

Quote from: "DV"
I remember a while back when everyone thought Sean O'Hanlon was a better player than Jerel Ifil  Cheesy

I think it's safe to say O'halon was that shit himself he made Jerel suffer. O'hanlon was the king of backing off with classic examples being Kuffour scoring at Torquay and Cotterill scorring for City against us..........how the fuck was he our captain

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 21:59:33 »

guilty!
aint seen o'hanlon for a while so dont know how he's doing.
ifil defensively is awsome now,his interceptions of passes is a joy to watch.
if he could pass the ball he'd be borderline prem quality i think.
i'm so glad he's gone from zero to hero. i really like him now.
that said he was diobolical for a while
mattboyslim

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 21:59:59 »

At the time I did, and looking back at the time I think i was right.  Jerel has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years or so, better control, better positioning, no need to make rash challenges so often and more passes staying on the pitch.  Sean O when with us was a solid player, and pretty young too when he first came, however he developed a penchant for the £££ and his career promise never really blossomed IMHO.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:02:25 »

the crowd now forgive the beasts flaws with his passing.because he is so good at recovering
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:03:45 »

I always thought we overrated Sean'O and he looked much better at Right Back then Centre Half.

He was the worst captain we've ever had and wasnt near vocal enough and couldnt lead the defence like he was supposed to do.

He was shit.

Ifil I didnt doubt, although he had a shit season it was clear his confidence under King was shot. We all remember his 3(?) loan spells in our Play Off seasons - each one of them he was immense and I would have voted him up there with Parkin and Mooney as Player of the Season that year if he'd played a whole season and been our player.

Glad to see he's got better and proved the doubters.
glos_robin

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:04:49 »

Don't think it helped with King blaming every goal/defeat/world war on Ifil.........shot his confidence and some people actually listened to King and jumped on the bandwagon
sonic youth

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:06:36 »

ifil knows he can't pass so just gets rid of the ball, i'd rather he did that than risk losing possession. otherwise he's got everything; pace, strength, reads the game, strong in the tackle without giving fouls away, good temprament, consistent, excellent man marker.

his concentration has improved immeasurably and his error proneness has all but disappeared.
mattboyslim

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:07:46 »

I remember seeing ifil playing full back away at Mansfield when on loan, at the time I was at uni an not seeing many games, and his performance was awful, largely due to him not having the finesse to put crosses in, even now I don't think he would be any good at full back, however as a CB he has blossomed to be outstanding for this level, and IMHO tends to play better when an old head is next to him as proven when he's played with Williams, Vincent and Aljofree, in comparison to Sean O.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:08:24 »

i doubted him,slated him and didn't want him in the side.
he was awful for quite a while.but i will hold my hands up and say he proved me wrong.he was by far our best player last season and if he gets the award this term i will be delighted for him.

the bizzare thing about his distribution, is that he generally does better when he has less time to think about a pass.
he can play a great ball at times and also carry the ball brilliantly out of defence too.
give him a few seconds, then boof its in the stand
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:17:52 »

Quote from: "arriba"
i doubted him,slated him and didn't want him in the side.
he was awful for quite a while.but i will hold my hands up and say he proved me wrong.he was by far our best player last season and if he gets the award this term i will be delighted for him.

the bizzare thing about his distribution, is that he generally does better when he has less time to think about a pass.
he can play a great ball at times and also carry the ball brilliantly out of defence too.
give him a few seconds, then boof its in the stand

I can understand the second bit....sort of....my left foot....if I have no time to think about it and swing a boot at it....I generally do better than if I have time to think about kicking it with my left foot....weird!!!
sonic youth

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 5, 2008, 22:18:31 »

i can sort of understand that. i'm similar when i play football and can't really explain it either. i think it's down to impulses and such
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, January 6, 2008, 01:48:17 »

beast hands down
Barry Scott

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, January 6, 2008, 02:49:02 »

Ifils flaws, like others have said, are now minor against the massive quality he has at CB. Like SY said, he's almost got it all. I almost wet myself when i see wingers or strikers try to skin him and loose 99 times out of 100. The man is immense and few will better him.

I love watching him man-mark as well. They may as well be off the pitch such is his ability to mark someone out the game. Lita anyone? Or even Scotland on Jan 1. Every time he tried it on you could Scotland's confidence draining more, it was beautiful.

I don't care one of our strikers scores 50 goals this term, Ifil was robbed last year and i want to see him as player of the season. He's a nice bloke as well, when i've met him he's come across as quiet, shy and humble.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: