Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good digital camera  (Read 1508 times)
OneAndrewFitton

« on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 00:36:52 »

I am looking to buy a decent new digital camera for between £150-£200, These are the one's that i am looking at: Lumix FX33

Also been looking at this one:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_fujifilm_finepix_f40fd_2.php

The Panasonic Lumix FX33 seems best to me as it has lots of features like picture stabilization and face detection etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 00:45:22 »

The Fuji link didn't work.

That Lumix looks alright. Good ISO range and plenty of different shutter speeds to choose from should allow you to take good pictures in a variety of situations. Uses Leica lenses as well, one of the best in the business. Uses SD cards, so cheap and plentiful supply of these. Beware though that most of these cameras are crap in indoor, low light environments - even I struggle with a DSLR and dedicated flash.

One thing to be wary of with Fuji gear is they only use xD cards, manufactured by themselves and Olympus, hence more expensive.

EDIT: Take a look at the Canon S3 IS, priced at 180 quid.

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductName=Canon-Powershot-S3-IS&ProductID=1031

I have the previous model (S2 IS) that has served me well for two years. Its not pocket-friendly though, if thats an important factor.
OneAndrewFitton

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 01:02:05 »

Quote from: "pumbaa"
The Fuji link didn't work.

That Lumix looks alright. Good ISO range and plenty of different shutter speeds to choose from should allow you to take good pictures in a variety of situations. Uses Leica lenses as well, one of the best in the business. Uses SD cards, so cheap and plentiful supply of these. Beware though that most of these cameras are crap in indoor, low light environments - even I struggle with a DSLR and dedicated flash.

One thing to be wary of with Fuji gear is they only use xD cards, manufactured by themselves and Olympus, hence more expensive.

EDIT: Take a look at the Canon S3 IS, priced at 180 quid.

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductName=Canon-Powershot-S3-IS&ProductID=1031

I have the previous model (S2 IS) that has served me well for two years. Its not pocket-friendly though, if thats an important factor.

Thanks for the message, the fuji link is working now.

I've had a look at the Canon S3, it has got some good reviews, what is the image quality like on the S2? I'm looking for a camera that doesn't blur when taking pic's, i know the Lumix FX33 doesn't blur, the Canon S3 has optical image stabilization which i presume means it doesn't blur?

I'm not too worried about the size of the camera, just looking for something that has good image quality and anti-blur etc.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 01:13:57 »

I have got some excellent shots out of the S2. The one below was taken by my wife (who IMO is a far better photographer than I), and is currently mounted in a 48" x 30" frame in a friends lounge.

http://www.capturedeleganceonline.com/gallery-photo-37.html

Even with IS, there is still a risk of blurred images if you are not stood still, shooting in low light with or without flash etc. IS helps reduce that blur, but it can't overcome the limitations of the Mk 1 human operator - not yet at least.

Having read that Fuji review, it doesn't sound like a good option to me. No IS feature at all, which seems important to you.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 07:20:04 »

i'm getting one of those Lumix jobbies for my little bro for christmas, I've been told it's pretty much the best for under £200.
McLovin

« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 11:36:54 »

I have the Lumix and its really quite good.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 11:41:06 »

Panasonic Cameras are very good, I have the TZ3 (c.£250) which is a few bits up and it's excellent. Not beautiful, but very functional and the pictures are good, which is the main thing.
Lumps

« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 13:38:42 »

Got the Mrs one of the Canon IXUS range the other year, and she's been very happy with it. Neat little thing. The models have changed a bit since then but they're well regarded still from what I read.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/index.asp
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 14:00:55 »

Argos & Curry's have brought a lot of cameras down in price at the moment - just bought a Fuji that had been reduced by about £50
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 17:21:36 »

I know fuck all about cameras but as a which magazine subscriber  Oops 2 panasonics come out on top. first one is lumix dmc-fz30 £250ish scoring 73% or dmc-fz8 £210ish scoring 71%.

If you want me to look up one that you've seen, i'll do the honours

dmc-fz30

The 778 gram 8Mp Panasonic DMC-FZ30 is a great camera, one of the highest scoring ever. It combines good image quality - very good in manual mode - with an excellent range of features.

The FZ30 is fast. Shutter delay is an outstanding 0.1 seconds, well into Digital SLR territory. On pressing the on button, it takes 1.9 seconds to be ready to take a photo. Again this is very quick for a compact camera. The time it takes the camera to ready itself for a new photo after taking the last one is a reasonably quick 2.2 seconds.

dmc-fz8

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 is an easy Best Buy, and as a compact(-ish), versatile camera with lots of features and a big zoom, it's hard to beat. This is a highly impressive camera, and one of our favourites.

This model’s predecessor, the FZ7, was one of the best long-zooming cameras around, so we had high expectations of the FZ8 – and we’re not disappointed.

these both look like pro-styie cameras rather than what I'd consider a traditional looking digital camera so the best 'normal looking' gets a score of 68% fujifilm finepix f30 £100 and is described as follows:-

One of the key features of the Fujifilm FinePix F30 is the maximum ISO setting of 3200, meaning that it’s a great camera for taking pictures in dim light without flash. In fact, it’s a very good camera all round – and at 192 grams with compact dimensions it’s nice and portable too.

Picture quality on the F30 is very good, noise is kept under control well. Shutter delay is also reasonably good at 0.4 seconds, although shot to shot time in burst mode is slow – almost 1.8 seconds. At least the burst mode is unlimited.
sonic youth

« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 18:04:12 »

Quote from: "jimbob"
I know fuck all about cameras but as a which magazine subscriber  

christ, how old are you?
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 18:11:53 »

magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 21:31:18 »

my mrs just brought herself an Nikon S51.

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/coolpix/s51/index.htm

good camera and reduced from £250 to £140 in Jessops  Cool

jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 21:33:21 »

Quote from: "magicroundabout"

no, no, no.....according to which mag  Wink
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 21:36:07 »

Quote from: "jimbob"
Quote from: "magicroundabout"

no, no, no.....according to which mag  Wink

but compared to everything else for the money it was a good buy.

and plus she paid for it not me  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: