Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: scotland's big game  (Read 6720 times)
mattboyslim

« Reply #30 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 12:25:01 »

Scotland's problem isn't really a narrow defeat to italy, it's dropped points against Georgia, rather like England, losing in Moscow and Croatia is not that bad, but failing to turn over Macedonia is what will cause you problems, not that former Eastern Bloc countries are bad, but they are the Birmingham Citys and Fulhams of international football, to hit the heights you need to beat the weaker sides.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 12:30:21 »

Quote from: "janaage"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
gutted.  That match sums up what it's like being a Scotland/Swindon fan.

Football's a bastard at times, that goal reminded of Town v Brighton in 04.  Gut wrenching.

Although Scotland got a dodgy decision on the goal,   you can hardly complain, Italy scored a valid second, incorrectly ruled out and Ferguson's goal was offside.

Sorry Reg, not meaning to be pedantic here, but where in that post have I complained??  About anything?

I accept the result, yes the free kick shouldn't have been given but that's football.  As you say the ref/linesmen made many errors, they were inept, but not biased.

End of the day we were the third best team in the group.

Fair enough, I didn't say you were complaining per se, but rather implying a complaint,  in the semantics of the word "gutted"......this to me suggested a feeling of injustice rather an acceptance of kismet.
Sussex

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 14:47:32 »

Shoot me down by all means, but in my experience -

England fans hope the Scots, Welsh and Oirish do well so long as we're not up against them.

The Scots just want England to lose.

Deep-fryed mars bar anyone?

x
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 14:54:43 »

Quote from: "Sussex"

England fans hope the Scots, Welsh and Oirish do well so long as we're not up against them.

x
I think you've got the idea Sussex  Wink
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 15:42:00 »

gutted.  That match sums up what it's like being a Scotland/Swindon fan.

Football's a bastard at times, that goal reminded of Town v Brighton in 04.  Gut wrenching.

Although Scotland got a dodgy decision on the goal,   you can hardly complain, Italy scored a valid second, incorrectly ruled out and Ferguson's goal was offside.

Sorry Reg, not meaning to be pedantic here, but where in that post have I complained??  About anything?

I accept the result, yes the free kick shouldn't have been given but that's football.  As you say the ref/linesmen made many errors, they were inept, but not biased.

End of the day we were the third best team in the group.

Fair enough, I didn't say you were complaining per se, but rather implying a complaint,  in the semantics of the word "gutted"......this to me suggested a feeling of injustice rather an acceptance of kismet.

gutted as in we just lost to a last minute goal, no injustice, just "typical", just our luck.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 15:55:20 »

Shame for the UK that Scotland didn't qualify.

It's difficult to feel sorry for the Scots though, given the fact they dislike us so much and want whoever we play to win.

(The above is a generalisation, but is borne out by most Scots I know)

It's All Good..............
Barry Scott

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 16:29:01 »

Kind of my thoughts. I wanted Scotland to qualify and thought they were doing great. But then kept meeting or hearing sweaties amused and satisfied at England failing and Scotland doing well.

When they didn't manage to qualify, and Israel added insult to injury, i was warmed at the prospect of seeing the egg on their faces.

To be honest though, i don't really give a fuck. I just had to get my post count up.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 17:05:21 »

Inevitable that Toni would score

I come from a land down-under
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 17:20:44 »

x

other than the welsh i think thats spot on. the jocks hate us, but we don't care and have a bit of sympathy for them when they go out, it's a bit like the Gills seeing us as rivals.
DMR

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 18:06:11 »

i fucking loved it when the wops got the winner, i'm a bad person
caveman

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 09:07:35 »

absolutely hilarious
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 09:17:02 »

x

I agree.
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #42 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 11:20:06 »

Must say we cheered when the Scotland score came through however I must say fair play to Scotland for the results etc they got. Its not easy really to play in the group they did. The Scots Would have had a field day if they qualified and we didn't. Looks like there will only be one british team at Euro 2008 now... well unless Northern Ireland qualify.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #43 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 12:37:58 »

To me, Scotland are the international Oxford. I don't want them to qualify for anything but the way they don't qualify is always greatly entertaining. Pre Vogts they used to screw it up at the last minute. Under Vogts they just got straight down to work and screwed up from the first minute - now they're back to screwing it up at the last minute again. The nat=ural order of thnigs has been restored.
Saying that England are crap at the moment. I did enjoy the comments about Beckham's delivery. It must be really difficult to find a 6' 7 from a corner - once.
Lumps

« Reply #44 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 12:42:36 »

x

A long long time ago when the Pox were a side that operated in the top couple of divisions of the football league, there was a little club called Wycombe Wanderers who lived just up the road. At the time they were an up and coming non-league side, and the Pox fans used to take a bit of a patronising interest in their fortunes. When the results were announced at the old Manor, the Chairboy's victories would get a big cheer.

As the seasons went on however, the fortunes of OUFC declined and, under the genius management of Martin O'Neill, WW climbed the leagues. Perhaps not suprisingly the Pox fans stopped cheering when Wycombe won and started cheering when they lost.

Now I don't know what the other side of this little relationship might have been but I think it's unlikely that Oxford wins were cheered to the rafters at Adam's Park during this period.

Even now that the postions have been almost entirely reversed I'd guess that the tradition of having been the poor relation locally would mean that Wycombe probably still have little sympathy for their neighbours. And you can't blame them.

So think about it. It's not a suprise that England fans feelings about Scotland, Wales, The Republic and NI are different to the way our fans feel about your side. It isn't a relationship of equals, and it's unlikely to ever be.

A few decades back when Scotland were more genuinely on a par with England in the international game, England fans were only too glad to see them lose. When Ally's Army came home from Argentina before the postcards in '78 the English laughed every bit as hard as the Scotland fans had laughed at England's failure to qualify.

So just get over it you miserable bastards. You've got about 20 times as big a population to draw your team from as Wales, Scotland, or NI, you've got more money than us and are probably always going to be better than us.

If you can't take a bit of piss taking when you concede a goal to San Marino in the first 3 minutes of a game then football isn't the game for you.

Personally, as I've said before, I like watching England play because I'm genuinely ambivalent about it. By that I mean not that I don't care about the result, because I do. But, I was as happy when you were hilariously clueless under Graham Taylor as I was when you were great and put 5 past Germany.

The only thing I've got against Mclaren is that he's a bit dull. I think you're due another comedy manager who's stupidly out of his depth next. Andy King anyone?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: