Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your first Swindon v Oxford game...  (Read 11576 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 15:55:45 »

It was the away game in early 1992.  We lost 5-3, despite going a goal up (Shaun Close!) in the first minute.  I was in my first year at college in Oxford and had dragged a few mates along to the game, so it was especially gutting.

Surprised how many people on here have never been to a game vs Oxford.  Maybe we do have quite a few recent fans after all.  I've probably been to about 5 home games vs Oxford and a similar number away, and they've all been either brilliant or dire.  There is no middle ground.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #46 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 16:05:35 »

X mas either 76 or 77 we won 1-0 with the winner going in off Prophets arse. Only missed a couple home or away since. Had the pleasure of accompanying a few friends into their end one day towards the end of the 70's - didn't last long but they knew we'd been there. Also a cracker when we lost 5-0 there. The smokebomb home game was ace as was seeing Walters dumb bastard Beauchamp in front of the Intel as was then. Also had the pleasure of being on a stag day when we beat them 4-2 there and started the day at 11 am in one of their pubs - that got quite interesting as the early afternoon got on. Numerous other scrapes including a fucking long run up Drove Road once when they really took the piss down here.
Can't stand the bastards but they are always game for a laugh.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 10:46:04 »

1992/93 season - 2-2 draw iirc, Ling and Taylor i think it was on TV aswell.

Also had some cunt threaten to give us a shoeing a couple of years back, as the scum were playing away at Carlisle. We played Wycombe away but me and Ralph ended up missing the train and got cunted in Oxford, bad mistake  :?
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 11:01:39 »

Was around teh 90s but first away game alone was about 95 at a guess which was a eye opener.

The FA Cup game was one of my lowest points as a town fan having brought two cars from watford to watch it!

flash

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 11:53:26 »

First one was in 1968 with both sets of fans standing in the Town End confronting each other with the police looking on from the track when a barrage of eggs was launched at the scum by the Swindon fans.

The next time we played them two seasons later things had gotten much worse. There was the incident of the milk float that drove into a confontration between the two mobs on County Road, the air was absolutely thick with flying milk bottles and the road covered in broken glass and milk.
fatbury

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 13:07:35 »

it was 4th May 1982 ... Swindon 3 Oxford 2 .. Paul Rideout got a couple .. from what I can remember I was stood on the Stratton bank and got pelted by loads of 2p coins .. then someone chucked a 50p (more edges I guess).. BIG MONEY back then and as I was 9 at the time I was over the moon as that was pocket money for me back then!!!

Loads of trouble outside the ground too .. I remember me and my old man legging it down the Shrivenham road back to the car whilst chaos was breaking out around us!
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 13:20:59 »

5 FEB 1989
Oxford United (Home)
3 - 0 McLoughlin, MacLaren (pen), Calderwood

also this was my very first Swindon game too.
obviously got me hooked  Cool

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 19:17:08 »

Quote from: "tans"
1992/93 season - 2-2 draw iirc, Ling and Taylor i think it was on TV aswell.

Also had some cunt threaten to give us a shoeing a couple of years back, as the scum were playing away at Carlisle. We played Wycombe away but me and Ralph ended up missing the train and got cunted in Oxford, bad mistake  :?

Mine too Tans...and that volley from the scum that David Pleat creams himself over is going wide until Taylor chests it in.  Jammy scummers.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 21:00:50 »

1999 13 FEB Oxford United (Away) lost 2-0

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Scot Munroe

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 21:15:26 »

i think it was in 96 and we dicked them 4-1 with a ty Gooden screamer.
CliffP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 23:37:11 »

Quote from: "flash"
First one was in 1968 with both sets of fans standing in the Town End confronting each other with the police looking on from the track when a barrage of eggs was launched at the scum by the Swindon fans.

The next time we played them two seasons later things had gotten much worse. There was the incident of the milk float that drove into a confontration between the two mobs on County Road, the air was absolutely thick with flying milk bottles and the road covered in broken glass and milk.

Mine was the 1968 game as well - don't remember too much about the game but do remember that the only safe way to get to the game ( 13 at the time) was to meet up with my school mates at the College car park and walk mob handed to the ground ( down Groundwell Road and past the appropriately named Oxford Hotel ( now the Merlin) .
flammableBen

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 00:34:37 »

I'm going to go back in time and steal baby Ben, then go forward in time to 2033 and see if we're playing Oxford then. If we are then there's a possibility of there being 3 me's at the game. Now that would be amazing. Of course for the 3 Bens scenario to happen it requires:
a) for me to live until 2033
b) for me to gain the ability of time travel at some point in the future
c) there still to be an STFC in 2033
d) there still to be an OUFC in 2033
e) for Swindon to be playing Oxford that season

That's one hell of an accumulator.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 07:41:24 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
I'm going to go back in time and steal baby Ben, then go forward in time to 2033 and see if we're playing Oxford then. If we are then there's a possibility of there being 3 me's at the game. Now that would be amazing. Of course for the 3 Bens scenario to happen it requires:
a) for me to live until 2033
b) for me to gain the ability of time travel at some point in the future
c) there still to be an STFC in 2033
d) there still to be an OUFC in 2033
e) for Swindon to be playing Oxford that season

That's one hell of an accumulator.

Try an orgone accumulator....

See Wilhelm Reich.....and the greatest album ever Space Ritual.....Hawkwind.
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 09:50:00 »

Quote from: "CliffP"
Quote from: "flash"

Mine was the 1968 game as well - don't remember too much about the game but do remember that the only safe way to get to the game ( 13 at the time) was to meet up with my school mates at the College car park and walk mob handed to the ground ( down Groundwell Road and past the appropriately named Oxford Hotel ( now the Merlin) .

Mine was the away game in 1968. At Easter. That was the season that Oxford got promoted. 0-0 draw, but it was a ground record crowd. There were people standing on the roofs of the stands, and up the floodlights. I stood on a wall for most of the game. Pretty amazing atmoshere from what I can remember
magic8ball

« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 14:06:58 »

Quote from: "Amir"
Quote from: "Tails"
1-1 at the County Ground, Allison scored for us and they equalised in the second half I believe. In '95 anywho...

Same as that.  Blatent foul on Allison when Moody scored their equalizer :x

The 0-3 at the Manor in the same season is one of the worst games I've been to....the two home games in the following seasons made up for that.

Yep, me too.

That was the first, and last.

I was sat in the Arkells, and at half time, a few Pox lads came wandering down the steps, clearly somewhat inebriated. One of them made the mistake of falling on one guys lap, so the STFC guy got up and gave him a whack. Cue stewards/police lining up and down the steps for the rest of the game.

I was actually with 2 other friends, my dad and bro for that game.

Scary.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: