Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust's role in any protests  (Read 927 times)
TalkTalk

« on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 23:55:54 »

Trust board member I may well be, but the more I think about it the more I don't think the Trust should be involved in any of Saturday's protests (whatever they eventually are).

As Si rightly pointed out, the Trust are viewed with some suspicion by not a minority of STFC supporters (e.g. 1,000 members out of 6,000 "regular" fans, the other 5,000 have had ample opportunities to join for a quid).

IMHO this has to be a groundswell, grass roots Day of Protest.

That's not to say that as individuals we cannot be involved of course.
flammableBen

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 00:00:02 »

I think that what would have been the "Trust view/plan" got voted out a bit today; with everybody backing everything. I can understand why that made it a bit awkward, being stuck in a situation saying we can't back this or that.

I don't blame Paul for standing up and chairing it because I doubt there are many people out there who would have done it. It might have been a good idea to ask though.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 01:07:15 »

Yes it would have been a good idea to ask and I'll hold my hands up that we didn't. However it was also important that the meeting allowed everyone to express their point of view (which I think we did to a fault) and that those who opposed the general consensus had ample opportunity to express that view - again I think we achieved that. It was also important that the meeting arrived at some firm decisions as to what we actually wished to do and why - again, I think we achieved that. Someone had to call the meeting, someone had to chair it to ensure those things happened. Realistically that probably needed to be a recognised fans' group to do that in the short timescales available.  Given the hugely emotive nature of any such meeting and the very real danger of our club ceasing to exist in the not too distant future I think we did OK. It's not perfect, but very little in life is.

As for Trust involvement in organising protests etc, any such event will inevitably be seen as having more prospect of success (or conversely less chance of descending into farce) if it is seen to be organised. Of the established supporters groups connected to Swindon Town, let's face it, it's pretty much only the Trust who are going to step up to the plate and do that. That's not Trust trumpet-blowing - someone needed to mobilise fans and we're perhaps in the best position to do that, but one of the best things about this evening was the number of non-Trust members who attended and actively participated throughout the discussions. This is not a time to be concerned about who's a member of what, we all need to band together and show the world at large that our club matters.

We (collectively) now have four days to organise a demonstration of why our club is worth saving - under those circumstances what matters is that everyone rallies to the flag, not whether they agree 100% with the Trust, or whatever other factional concerns people may try to bring to bear. The core question is very simple - is a tradition of 127 years of senior football worth saving? I'd say yes (obviously) and I would hope that anyone who cares not just about Swindon Town FC but also about the reputation of Swindon as a town with any kind of character and/or the future of football in this country outside of the established "Big Clubs" will join us on Saturday.
flammableBen

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 01:31:20 »

Your completely right paul. And I didn't mean to sound harsh, it was more a part of a point which has been spread over a couple of threads.

You did a brilliant job today. It was always going to lose focus but you kept it as tight as could be expected. I'd like to have a go at the people who made nothing points just for the sake of it, but I think both of mine were them.

As in setting yourselves up to organise a march on Saturday, I can see two options. You get an excuse out of it, or you got for it proper.

Either way, you go girl.
flammableBen

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 01:41:51 »

That sounded really suck up to mr trust chairmen ness and I didn't want that.

Your the beat that my heart skipped.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 03:26:57 »

I should hope the TRUST do get involved. FFS this is about saving our club, it's why I'm a member, & the board have the contacts, knowledge etc to organise things.
eg. I could put a leaflet together explaining whyat it's all about, but I wouldn't be able to get it printed etc.
I'm pretty sure tho' that a pitch invasion can't (And shouldn't) be backed as I'm certain it is illegal.

From the Dark Side
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: