Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sturrock on this is  (Read 1019 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 10:40:05 »

From the dugout... Paul Sturrock

Paul Sturrock
Billy (Paynter) had lost his way in football. He jumped into the Championship and things did not work out, they had a change of manager which did not help.

He went to Southend and again (Freddy) Eastwood was on fire and things did not gel.

He was needing a home and to be loved. He has surprised me by how technical he is.

He is still not match fit but he does things that Mickey Evans used to do at Plymouth, so I am quite excited.

There is a lot of work to be done on him but at 23 you have a bit of a diamond.

You have to remember there is Barry Corr and a few other strikers chomping at the bit to get in the team.

It could be a bit lively and a bit boistrous getting into the team.

(Simon) Cox held things up, made bad balls good balls.

He got his goal, he is a Jack the lad', a Billy Big-Time,' but he is doing the business for us so we will leave him alone.

I think Coxy worked so hard, he is a great foil for the boy Paynter to get his hat-trick.

I am very pleased for him because he is very infectious and worked his tail off.

On the opponents
I would not like to meet Bournemouth with their full compliment because they made it very hard for us.

We will take a crumb of comfort though that we have scored four goals and the striker we have brought in has got a hat-trick so I am quite pleased.

On the loan moves
Everyone has an idea who I am going for so I will leave it like that.

I don't like discussing it and I had made my mind up to commit to this back four and have a look at it today. I will assess the situation again over the weekend and decide whether I am going to do anything or not.

On the defence
It was the back four from hell in the first half, probably the poorest performance we have had. We were basically all over the place.

We got caught out a wee bit because we did not expect them to change their system.

It took us a long time to get people to adapt to that but once we matched up in the second half, it got a bit easier.

The disappointing thing for me is that is our poorest performance when we have not got the ball.

After we scored the disappointing thing was we dropped those gears again. We got a lucky goal to take the lead again and kicked on from there.

On lost leads
I am trying to get to the bottom of why we seem to sit back after taking the lead.

Last year there were not the clinical finishers in the league so we could get away with it and we caught teams on the break last year, but you can't do it this year.

Someone with a pass or a finish will have you.

We changed it the second half and were in their face and the second goal knocked a lot of the stuffing out of them.

For the second goal a lot of strikers would have dropped it as a lost cause but Billy has gone in there, there has been a mix-up and he has scored a goal.

On Aljofree's injury
There is good news and bad news with Hasney Aljofree. We will wait to see what happens, but it's a month minimum, four to six weeks, fingers crossed.

I have to make a decision whether I ask my people for a loan or not after the weekend.

I am interested in a lot of players.

I like the bit about Cox, "a billy big time" Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: