Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morrissey  (Read 2868 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:16:03 »

I doubt anybody cares, but anyway - he was fucking ace.

Got lost in Birmingham trying to find the NIA, ended up driving out of Birmingham then back round on the M42. I probably drove past jim's house. The venue was alright, bit big and wasn't very full but the sound was pretty good and we were quite far back in the seats but they had some big screens so I could see Mozzer flailing on those. It was brilliant, it opened with a deadpan Scouse voice reeling off a list of bad cultural things, then Moz appeared and the opening bars of How Soon Is Now kicked in. It was fucking immense. They only played that song about three or four times live when the Smiths were about and he's played it at Reading in the summer, Glasgow on Monday and last night at Brum already. Fucking mental! He did a few Smiths songs - Bigmouth Strikes Again, How Soon Is Now, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, Shoplifters Of The World Unite - and also quite a few of the new album tracks, I Have Forgiven Jesus was superb and so was Irish Blood, English Heart.

We left before the encore because I didn't want to fuck about getting out of the car park, but the M42 was closed so we spent an hour driving around Birmingham anyway :/ Found out later that the encore was Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me. Gutted. That's what I get for leaving early! Eventually had to go the long way round and take the M5-A40 home and got in at about 2:30 this morning. It was worth it.

Morrissey was incredible. He just enthralls you, you can't take your eyes off him. Amazing presence, passion, and he looks so fucking cool. Nice body for someone in his mid-40's as well :D The crowd was a bit poor really, only about three quarters full and most people sat around us were just sat looking bored. It was obvious by the reaction of the crowd which songs were Smiths' songs as the place livened up a great deal, but nevertheless it was a fucking great gig.

I'm well hyped still :D
McLovin

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:18:26 »

Nice review.  How long was he on stage for?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:20:05 »

About an hour and a half. Came on about 9:15 or so, PJ Harvey supported but I don't really like her.

This is the setlist btw

How Soon Is Now?
First Of The Gang To Die
November Spawned A Monster
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Bigmouth Strikes Again
I Like You
Redondo Beach
Let Me Kiss You
Subway Train (into) Munich Air Disaster 1958
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Friday Mourning
I Have Forgiven Jesus
The Never Played Symphonies
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Irish Blood, English Heart
You Know I Couldn't Last
-encore-
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
McLovin

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:22:24 »

I never, ever remember the set list of any gig i've ever been to, which is a shame really.

PJ Harvey doesn't do it for me either. Infact, i'm not really a fan of female vocalists unless they are doing something more feminine.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:24:57 »

you went to see your favourite artist and left before the encore?  What is wrong with you lad? You wouldn't catch me doing that at a Bryan concert  Oops
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:25:13 »

I couldn't remember the setlist either, I stole it from morrissey-solo.com :)

I don't mind a few of PJ Harvey's tracks but overall I think she's a bit samey. I also don't like female vocalists much either :/
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:26:30 »

Quote from: "STFCBird"
you went to see your favourite artist and left before the encore?  What is wrong with you lad? You wouldn't catch me doing that at a Bryan concert  Oops

Yeah well I suffered from not hearing Last Night... and leaving early didn't get me home any fucking earlier either! He didn't play Everyday Is Like Sunday which is a shame, my favourite Moz song :\
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:29:09 »

oh dear.  Leaving early to avoid traffic never works, you always pay for it somewhere.  Did you get stuck in Oxford yesterday?  That accident on the A34 was well harsh
McLovin

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:33:49 »

I always hover by the door for the last song/encore, especially at London gigs as the last train back to Swindon is at 11:45.

I paid heavilly at the Oasis Finsbury gig where i was forced to sleep on Paddington station, and vowed i'd never end up like that again.
spacey

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:33:55 »

Fancy leaving early, shame on you! Weird about the crowd, everyone was going mental when I saw him in Blackpool.He played Everyday is like sunday as well. Cool
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:50:03 »

Quote from: "STFCBird"
oh dear.  Leaving early to avoid traffic never works, you always pay for it somewhere.  Did you get stuck in Oxford yesterday?  That accident on the A34 was well harsh

I met a mate in Abingdon and we left from his place and went up the A34, saw the accident it looked nasty. A lorry had spun and was wedged right across the southbound lanes with all of it's contents spilled over the road. I heard it caused havoc, my Dad phoned to warn me. Didn't cause us much grief though.

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
I always hover by the door for the last song/encore, especially at London gigs as the last train back to Swindon is at 11:45.

I would have done, I've never left a gig early before - I even hung around for half an hour after a Manics gig for no particular reason whatsoever. I wanted to take the train up there but the last one back to Oxford was at 9:30 and Moz didn't even come on stage til 9:15 :|

Quote from: "spacey"
Fancy leaving early, shame on you! Weird about the crowd, everyone was going mental when I saw him in Blackpool.He played Everyday is like sunday as well.

pffft Smiley I feel guilty about leaving early but I wasn't the only one who did it. Moz ripped off his shirt, threw it into the crowd and went off stage and we left. I wasn't to know he was going to do an encore... ahem! I think the crowd was because of the venue, it looked as if they were having fun down in the standing area and they were all bouncing along to Bigmouth Strikes Again and stuff but up in the seats it was a bit sterile. I'd liken it to the Arkells except a few people actually sung. There was a lady near me who must have been in her late 30's who was dancing around in her seat so I didn't feel like to much of a spaz flailing in my seat.

I saw him play Everyday Is Like Sunday at Move on TV, it was incredible - he stopped singing for a verse and chorus and the crowd was amazing, I was hoping to witness something like that...oh well!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 15:55:28 »

Somebody pass SY the lube, he wants some Mozza loving!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: