Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Royal Mail Again..........  (Read 5287 times)
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 12:15:27 »

Quote from: "Summerof69"
Amazon dumped Royal Mail a few months ago, so you're likely to get it via a courier.

Play.com uses RM, so it's sit and wait....

Not completely true.

TNT pick the mail up from Amazon but guess who still delivers it  

It's called 'downstream access'. Alot of companies use UK Mail, DHL and TNT to post their mail but Royal Mail are paid by these carriers to deliver them.

For the record, I have never and never will strike.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 12:17:40 »

Quote from: "Lumps"
I note these communist cunts are going on strike again on the basis that senior management thinks that losing £4m a week may be slightly unsustainable.

Of course once employed by the royal mail you are entitled to a job for life because we are still living in the late 70's

Privatise the post office and open up the whole postal industry to the free market. People will lose jobs, but thats just a fact of life. loss making Industries cant be propped up forever just to provide employment.[/quote]

In case you hadn't noticed the only portions of the mail that commercial operators are remotely interested in getting into, i.e. business mail, are already open to competition.

No bastard want's to invest in the infrastructure required to make pickups from every mail box 2/3 times a day and deliveries to every house in the country 6 days a week for the princely some of 30 odd pence an item.

That's RM's problem and the thing that's screwing them financially. They have to maintain that infrastructure and compete for the cash cow commercial contracts with the likes of TNT that don't.

If you seriously think the free market is the answer to every problem in every industry you want to have a little look at the way the country's public transport network is offering such a fantastic service.

No I dont think that the free market would be the answer to all problems, but at least that way the taxpayer dosnt foot the bill. and as for public transport, yes its shit so I avoid it. Is it any better or worse than when it was nationalised as BR though? I dont use it enough to have a valid opinion in either way

The royal mail is becoming less and less relevant in the digital age. less and less buinesses are using them anyway so I would'nt shed any tears or suffer any inconvienice at all if the whole thing just shut down.

As for the staff, they seem to be stuck in some union-based era wherby they seem to think that all change is bad and that they should be rewarded for offering a public service. The reason many of them are not highly paid is that they are reletivly low skilled. I dont mean that to be patronising but I dont see why mail sorters should be paid any more that the going rate for warehouse operatives especially given some of the benifits they recieve.

On that subject, the one bit of sympathy I have for them is their pensions. Whilst they are very generous by todays standards, I think its out of order that a long term employee should have his pension payments cut at this stage, when they have been promised more for 10/20 years etc.  By all means offer new employees a less generous scheme though.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 12:19:24 »

Quote from: "arriba"
maybe royal mail staff dont want to strike at all and been driven to it by ridiculous proposals from higher management?
their pension funds are being decimated,cuts in earning potential,forced into flexible hours, ect,ect.
posties dont earn big money,so most rely on their partners jobs to fund the household income.how are these people going to manage child care ect when they are being shoved into different hours week by week?

the problems in royal mail are not caused by the workforce either its poor management decisions and wasted investments using royal mail profit that is to blame.
if royal mail didn't exist the cost of delivering anything would go through the roof

Well said.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 12:40:16 »

I'd also add that this is unbelivable short-termism on behalf of the unions.

No post delivered for a week - Its not going to come as a suprise that its going to lose the RM business in the long run and bring about the end of the organisation as we know it sooner rather than later.

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 12:57:34 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"
maybe royal mail staff dont want to strike at all and been driven to it by ridiculous proposals from higher management?
their pension funds are being decimated,cuts in earning potential,forced into flexible hours, ect,ect.
posties dont earn big money,so most rely on their partners jobs to fund the household income.how are these people going to manage child care ect when they are being shoved into different hours week by week?

the problems in royal mail are not caused by the workforce either its poor management decisions and wasted investments using royal mail profit that is to blame.
if royal mail didn't exist the cost of delivering anything would go through the roof

Well said.

if agree then you should be out with your fellow workers.hopefully you will benefit from their strike action results.

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 12:58:27 »

Quote from: "Gazza's Fat Mate"

as for pension I'd lvoe one of thoise!

well pay into one like the posties do then!
flammableBen

« Reply #66 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 13:03:33 »

If they sacked all those boring postmen and replaced them with an army of post delivering midgets then I'd happily pay up to £2 for a normal letter. Imagine loads of midgets waddling along delivering your letters. It would be the greatest thing ever.
Gazza's Fat Mate

« Reply #67 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 13:45:13 »

I would pay into a penison if I could post the bloody applaication form!
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 14:00:42 »

Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 14:03:23 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
If they sacked all those boring postmen and replaced them with an army of post delivering midgets then I'd happily pay up to £2 for a normal letter. Imagine loads of midgets waddling along delivering your letters. It would be the greatest thing ever.

If they could reach the letterbox............

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 14:32:17 »

do it online or over the phone or even go into a bloody office and do it Wink
Spud

« Reply #71 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 14:40:24 »

If it was just about pay then i wouldn't be out on strike, personally i wish we weren't on strike but we've been forced into it by the stupid proposals of Mr Crozier and Mr Leighton.
sonic youth

« Reply #72 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 17:42:29 »

Stand up, all victims of oppression
For the tyrants fear your might
Don't cling so hard to your possessions
For you have nothing, if you have no rights
Let racist ignorance be ended
For respect makes the empires fall
Freedom is merely privilege extended
Unless enjoyed by one and all

So come brothers and sisters
For the struggle carries on
The Internationale
Unites the world in song
So comrades come rally
For this is the time and place
The international ideal
Unites the human race

Let no one build walls to divide us
Walls of hatred nor walls of stone
Come greet the dawn and stand beside us
We'll live together or we'll die alone
In our world poisoned by exploitation
Those who have taken, now they must give
And end the vanity of nations
We've but one earth on which to live

And so begins the final drama
In the streets and in the fields
We stand unbowed before their armour
We defy their guns and shields
When we fight, provoked by their aggression
Let us be inspired by life and love
For though they offer us concessions
Change will not come from above
Red81

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, October 4, 2007, 17:57:19 »

You have a wide music taste I see sonic?

Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: