Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 07/08 Starting 11  (Read 4819 times)
Jamie05

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 23:12:25 »

I can see a three central midfield and two wide men formation. Sturrock wants us to be hard to beat - that means a solid back four and a very defensive midfielder (Adams?). So Jack Smith (or a replacement), Ifil, Aljofree and Vincent. I think we all want to see the future legend, Gnapke, and he's in negotiations. I would give Phil Smith the nod over Brez, but it depends on form in the preseason.

Great box to box midfield in Easton and Peacock. Not convinced in Roberts (unless he's in a confident, winning team). Zaboub on the left with Corr up front. Leaves out the 20 goals a season striker - but we haven't got one.

That team is so much better than the one that got relegated. So much more talking and fight. I think we'll do ok this year and build a solid base.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 09:24:28 »

Not at all happy with Roberts and Zaboub being first choice wideys-back up players in League One in my opinion

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
fatbury

« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 09:28:18 »

Brezovan
J Smith Ifil Aljofree Vincent
Roberts Easton Peacock Zaaboub
Corr Sturrock

(at present!) - the areas I see us strengthening are right wing and forward - Holmes and Akinfenwa?)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 09:28:25 »

To be honest, I hate King, but he did get us to a play off semi in League 1, Sturrock got us promoted from shit league 2.

I'm not saying Sturrock's crap, just that he is not the messiah.  I think he would have done better with the squads that King and Iffy had, kept us up maybe in 2005/06.  I just think it's crazy talk to expect play off aspirations based solely on the Manager.  The quality of player at the team is better than 05/06 (or seems to be heading that way) but not hugely.  Sturrock can eek a few more points and a bit more quality gives you some more, but we were so far off the pace in 05/06 that we shouldn't expect miracles.

When all is said and done, between Fallon Cureton, who probably managed the workload of just over one main srtiker, we had 21 goals or thereabouts in 05/06.  We don't have that this season coming as it stands.
Barry Scott

« Reply #19 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 11:54:26 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
Brezovan
Corr Sturrock

(at present!) - the areas I see us strengthening are right wing and forward - Holmes and Akinfenwa?)

Isn't Holmes a left winger?

Either way, Roberts has looked superb at times on the right, i think he'll suprise a fair few next season and really cement the right wing as his position. I also think that from mid-field Roberts and Peacock will get 20 goals between them with ease.

It's a left winger we need imo, we only have 'boub don't we?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 11:59:40 »

i dont think peacock will be as regular starter in the side as last season,and if roberts doesn't deliver neither will he.
i'd gladly take 20 goals between them but dont reckon they will get anywhere near that amount
red macca

« Reply #21 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 11:59:58 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
To be honest, I hate King, but he did get us to a play off semi in League 1, Sturrock got us promoted from shit league 2.

I'm not saying Sturrock's crap, just that he is not the messiah.  I think he would have done better with the squads that King and Iffy had, kept us up maybe in 2005/06.  I just think it's crazy talk to expect play off aspirations based solely on the Manager.  The quality of player at the team is better than 05/06 (or seems to be heading that way) but not hugely.  Sturrock can eek a few more points and a bit more quality gives you some more, but we were so far off the pace in 05/06 that we shouldn't expect miracles.

When all is said and done, between Fallon Cureton, who probably managed the workload of just over one main srtiker, we had 21 goals or thereabouts in 05/06.  We don't have that this season coming as it stands.
Thats the difference though rob , i think sturrock would of actually got us promoted rather than just the play offs
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 12:09:44 »

agreed.

But that isn't the team we have now, not even a patch on it in fact.

Forward line alone is a huge difference, midfield more creative.  The back 4 and GK are probably on a par if not a little better now (based on how the players performed in 03/04).

In fact, take the play off team and put our current forward line in the place of Parkin and Mooney and I don't think we'd have reached them.
red macca

« Reply #23 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 12:14:35 »

good points but our midfield next year (peacock,roberts) mainly will score more goals than our wingers did in that season...Its a case of wait and see i suppose.. The players sturrock has worked with before were not world beaters tbh but as a manager he seems to get the best out of half decent players
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 13:58:53 »

You are all forgetting one important player that is going to shine in League 1 and score at least 15 goals whilst providing ooodles more from the flanks.

Shakes! Time for you to shine son!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
mattboyslim

« Reply #25 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 14:03:14 »

Quote from: "Bob's Orange"
You are all forgetting one important player that is going to shine in League 1 and score at least 15 goals whilst providing ooodles more from the flanks.

Shakes! Time for you to shine son!

Bob, I think you've been in Luxembourg too long if you're that delusional, life might be good out there, but not that good!
fatbury

« Reply #26 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 14:14:49 »

Quote from: "Barry Scott"
Quote from: "fatbury"
Brezovan
Corr Sturrock

Isn't Holmes a left winger?

Either way, Roberts has looked superb at times on the right, i think he'll suprise a fair few next season and really cement the right wing as his position. I also think that from mid-field Roberts and Peacock will get 20 goals between them with ease.

It's a left winger we need imo, we only have 'boub don't we?

Luggy likes to play his winger cutting in - ie on the wrong side - dont forget we still have Caton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: