Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Car Service / MOT  (Read 1229 times)
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 20:24:51 »

Whats the reasonable price for a little car service done (oil change) to be done?
Also what's the adverage price for an pre & mot to be done?

I got it booked for next week. Why do I dread mots  :x  :?

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 20:27:22 »

MOT should cost £30-£40 depending on where you get it done. I prefer the 'while you wait' ones 'cos I'm a nosy bastard and I want to make sure they do it properly.

Service wise, a good independent will do it for around £100 normally which should include your disposables like new oil & filter etc.

Also worth noting that Skurrays at Hillmead had an offer on not long ago, £99 for service and MOT. Not sure if it's still on or not.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 20:35:56 »

I used to go to Fish Bros peugeot (for obvious reasons) but went to Titcombes and never had a problem, mind you fred had problems there recently so I'd probably go elsewhere.

The skurrays one Sam mentioned is all dependant on car.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 20:41:01 »

Cheers sam. I was quite worried it may top over £200.

Skurrays is quite away from me, but I got a friendly chap who comes to my works place, takes the car and does it all for me.  He did my cam belt for £150, so he I think (hope) he's quite reasonable.

Just a bit paranoid over a few drops of oil now and then after the engine is switch off and hot. (which I am hoping will be cleared up when the oil gets changed.) Or doesn't affect the MOT.

God I hate cars.   :x  :x

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Sussex

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 20:56:51 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"
Also worth noting that Skurrays at Hillmead had an offer on not long ago, £99 for service and MOT. Not sure if it's still on or not.

Worth being a bit careful with these offers as some places* will make the profit back by finding other things 'wrong' to charge as extra on top.

Anything they suggest over the offer price, decline, pay the £99 or whatever and get a second opinion on the other things first.

*Not aimed at Skurrays in particular.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 10:27:07 »

Go to Titcombes

Wink
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 10:47:32 »

I went to Skurrays once, got the 9-30 am phone call telling me everything that was wrong and a fixed price service and MOT jumped up by 400%!!  Removed car and took it to somewhere recomended who told me that half of what was quoted was not needed and got it fixed for about £120 (bill picked up by the place I bought it from).  S&T Motors in Ferndale Road (by the working mens' club) are one of the fairest garages around, trouble is he is always busy and you need to book up at least three weeks in advance.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 10:48:14 »

Quote from: "Fred Elliot"
Go to Titcombes

Wink
Did you take your revenge or get your money back Fred?
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 16:18:48 »

Buy all the serviceable items: Oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter from a motor factors like Camberly Auto Factors in Cheney Manor for around £35-£40 and do it yourself!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 16:25:55 »

go to m&b, you pay whats due nothing more
TheKingCY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 16:39:31 »

Go to Greenbridge MOT Centre on Greenbridge Roa, next to Jesters.  Ask for Keith and tell him I sent you.  He'll look after you...

eality is just an illusion caused by lack of alcohol...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 16:47:03 »

Quote from: "TheKingCY"
Go to Greenbridge MOT Centre on Greenbridge Roa, next to Jesters.  Ask for Keith and tell him I sent you.  He'll look after you...

was about to suggest the same, well the MOT centre, not keith, coz i dont know who that it, but i've never had trouble with them.
though if you dont like swaring try and avoid the manager
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 16:50:52 »

Quote from: "ronnie21"
Quote from: "Fred Elliot"
Go to Titcombes

Wink
Did you take your revenge or get your money back Fred?

Went to CAB, who told me that I must give them fair chance to represent themselves.

So have sent a letter with a copy of the report from Haskins and I await their response.

Then I will pay my £35.00 and sue the robbing cunts
TheKingCY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 17:02:17 »

Quote from: "Chubbs"
Quote from: "TheKingCY"

was about to suggest the same, well the MOT centre, not keith, coz i dont know who that it, but i've never had trouble with them.
though if you dont like swaring try and avoid the manager

That'll be the Welsh bloke, Dai.  He ain't the manager but likes to think he runs the place!

eality is just an illusion caused by lack of alcohol...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: