Poll
Question: Which 04/05 player would you bring back?  (Voting closed: Monday, March 21, 2005, 21:36:45)
Darius Henderson - 14 (42.4%)
Jamie Slabber - 0 (0%)
Lee Holmes - 11 (33.3%)
Jamie McMaster - 0 (0%)
Andy Gurney - 4 (12.1%)
Paul Mitchell - 1 (3%)
Mike Proctor - 0 (0%)
Mark Yeates - 3 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The one's that got away  (Read 3163 times)
DMR

« on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 21:36:45 »

We've seen plenty of players at the County Ground move away for various reasons this season.

Who'd you have back, if you could have one?

For me, as good as Holmesy was, I'd have Henderson. He's doing well at Gills and clearly was Parkinesque in that he looked too good for this level and he was firing us up the table.

I think we miss them all in some ways though (except Opara and Yeates)
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 21:40:06 »

Its gotta be Holmes for me, he an obvious talent for the future. 4 Man of the matches awards in his time here says it all. will be interesting to see how much we miss him on friday

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 22:13:36 »

Old Gurn's  Tongue

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Marie

« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 22:15:24 »

who voted for yeates?
DMR

« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 22:24:16 »

2 have  :shock:

Good god
Dazzza

« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 22:27:54 »

Got to be the Holmes but I have to say had Darius have stayed and continued in the same style I think we may just be scraping in that old PO zone now.  

Long term it's Holmes every time.

Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 22:28:39 »

its time to hunt the chav lovers on the forum

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 22:45:30 »

Yeates wasn't that bad. He was outstanding against Hartlepool and played a part in all three of our goals. Just too similar to what we already had to make that much of an impression.

I went for Henderson though for his goals against city and all his other goals. Holmes isn't far behind though.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 21, 2005, 23:30:19 »

Think Yeates will be a star for the future, but we never had a chance of keeping him so he didn't really get away.

The differences between this season and last are Gurney and Mooney.  The loss of Mooney was enormous, but the loss of Gurney added insult to injury and we lost our two most likely captain candidates.  For me, this has cost us several places in the league.  Gurney could score goals out of nothing, and could rally the team.  I was a big fan of his and probably a little biased, but having said that, I don't rate any of those players particularly highly (Henderson didn't combine especially well with Parkin).
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 00:43:39 »

Darius Henderson Scored a bagload of goals for us and did extremely well, shame he didn't sign but it sounded as if his agent fucked the deal up really. In a way I'm glad he didn't sign as we got Roberts, but if he'd continued scoring in the same sort of form as he was in whilst on loan then we'd probably be much higher up the league.

Jamie Slabber Absolute toss. I don't think he'll even find a non-league club next season.

Lee Holmes Inconsistent at times, he's too much of an out-and-out winger for our style of play but he's been superb and I'd love to have him at the club, he will be a star one day - the solution to England's left midfield problem? Probably.

Jamie McMaster Too similar to what we've got, bit of a pointless signing really.

Andy Gurney Gobby shite, Beckham wannabe, moaning cunt Gurney - no. Inspirational, talented, wanting to play for the team and good captain Gurney - yes. Unfortunately, nothing of the former was shown earlier this season and towards the end of last.

Paul Mitchell Solid enough at right-back, as with Henderson him not signing paved the way for us to bring Jenkins in who has been pretty good bar a few dodgy moments.

Mike Proctor I've only seen him once and he didn't do a lot. No comment.

Mark Yeates On his debut against Hartlepool he was immense, ran the game and created all three goals. The following game away at Walsall he just simply didn't deliver. I think there's definitely talent there, but the attitude isn't right and from what I've heard he wasn't interested in being here unless he had a guaranteed first team place. I'm not a big fan of players like that.

Overall, I guess I'd take Henderson for immediate impact and Holmes for potential (both talent and financially).
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 10:03:11 »

The highlight for me was at Brizzle with Henderson on his debut.....what a day!!  :beers

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 10:08:05 »

That's got to be the highlight of the season that match.  Lovely day, great result, everything looked so good back then.

About Mitchell don't forget that before he came here he'd never played right back, he's a tough tackling midfielder normally.  Is he still at MK?  Or did he go ack to Wigan?
Piemonte

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 11:35:47 »

Its out of Henderson and Holmes for me - Yeates could match both for talent but has a bad attitude.

I'd go for Henderson. We'd be in the play off positions if we'd had him and SSP up fronbt together for most of the season.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 21:18:19 »

I think Mitchell got injured didn't he? So had to go back. May be wrong.

I would go for Lee Holmes. He has created so many goals in his time here and no defender looked capable of shutting him out of a game. Plus would be worth a lot of money one day.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 21:53:32 »

Of those listed I'd go for Henderson for the simple fact he looked a natural replacement for Money-more so than Roberts Proctor etc.Gurney is the least missed in my opinion,but for me the biggest missed catch is Freddie Eastwood.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: