Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trouble before the game  (Read 15884 times)
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 20:40:37 »

Anybody on here get caught up in the trouble before the game?

Me and my mates were in The Inn On The Green, right at the top of the hill. Just as we were about to leave, 1.30 ish, a mob of 80 odd Rovers jumped the fences into the beer garden and laid into the 20-30 Swindon fans. A lot of the Swindon fans managed to get into the pub, for cover. One bloke had had his arm broken, quite a few had cuts from being glassed/punched. None of our lot were looking for trouble, majority wearing Swindon tops....not your average hoolie type.

Having stuck another £3 onto each ticket, so say for extra policing, the amount of police was a joke. We walked from Montpelier, past the ground upto the pub and back to the ground after it had all kicked off and I can only remember seeing one solitary copper...at Temple Meads.
lebowski

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 20:45:25 »

i too was at the inn on the green. earlier on in the day the garden looked to me to be full of swindon shirts, and familys - i can only assume it was the same when it got a bit tasty?

i was absolutely amazed that there weren't any police at bristol parkway, and even more amazed that there was no police presence, at all, along gloucester road, until it all kicked off.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 20:52:34 »

This is a cut & paste from my post on MOS...

I'm too depressed to write anything about the game itself...and others have said all that needs saying there anyway.

What leaves an even more bitter taste, however, is what happened at the Inn on the Green in Horfield at around 1.30pm this afternoon. Maybe I have just been lucky, but in 17 years of watching the Town I have NEVER seen or been involved in anything like the events that took place there.

Shortly beforehand, the atmosphere in the pub garden was light hearted. We were talking away, reading the papers etc. Mostly Swindon fans, but a few Rovers there too. A little banter, but no antagonism.

Then suddenly the mob appeared walked in to the garden from off the street and all hell broke loose. Bottles flying all around us and smashing glass. One of the thugs was carrying a wooden bat of some sort. We ran for cover back in to the pub and, very fortunately, none of my immediate group of family and friends was physically hurt.

Others were not so lucky. A bloke in his 50s on the table behind us was bloodied and dazed afterwards. I hope he got to hospital because he needed attention. One of the guys sat at our table is now in hospital, I hear, with a fractured eye socket. Less seriously, phones and wallets that were left on the tables when we ran inside were stolen. It all happened very quickly. Everyone was stunned.

I still wouldn't want to make too many generalisations...can't even be sure if the perpetrators were Rovers fans or just local hooligans.

But with the violence at the County Ground earlier this season and now this unprovoked attacked on a group of our fans who were simply enjoying a drink before the game - the possible ground share next year HAS to be refused. We said as much before today, and now have the proof.

This post probably sounds a bit chopsy and I'm still a little wound up to tell the truth. But football shouldn't be like this.
Panda Paws

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:06:53 »

I too was caught up in this, we just arrived at the inn on the Green, I left my bro at the bar to get the beers and I headed out into the garden to try and grab some seats. As has already been said, the patio area was mostly swindon, and mostly in colours as well. I came back inside, and next thing I know everyone piles inside and it kicks off big time. Some bellend came in around the side door, picked up the dirty glasses and headed back out to throw them, and not one copper in sight. The lack of police was ridiculous! we headed straight out of the pub again and just went to the ground, but there was lads walking round with bottles and shit, really nasty scenes. I was very fortunate with my timing, and hope that the injuries sustained are limited to those detailed above. No doubt they're sat around in some pub or online "claiming a result" whilst normal, law abiding fans are sat in A&E nursing broken bones.  Absolute animals!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:07:03 »

saw a few people sporting some battle scars....as we drove past that pub the police were just arriving....to abuse such as 'a bit fucking late now'

Saying that walking to and from the ground around the rovers fans was fine.

I guess like most sets of supporters you get those who go out looking for trouble, I wouldnt care if they kept it amongst themselves...if they want to do it, let the brain dead idiots do it.

Its when innocent bystanders get involved and injured which makes it even worse....esp if they were just sitting there minding their own business
sonic youth

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:09:22 »

If you can cope with the lack of grammar, try reading Gerald's (shilton_red) account of the game. Nevermind the violence, people standing up and swearing will bring about the end of society as we know it!

This was a disgrace this game . I sat in the xxxx stand ( or stood in it ) because of the mindless morons who support us who wont sit down . And they stand and block the gangways which is very dangerous especially in a full stand . Then we had our fans many who use obscene language , are unsporting and insulting . I was there i heard it and was disgusted by it . At half time I nearly walked out . I said to Jill is it worth me standing and watching the second half . We did and it wasnt allot better than the first . We played awfully , they wanted it more than us . We were all over the place . I congragulate the Rovers fans who dont use obscene language and support their team , they only have one song but its not full of filth or insults like some of ours . We cant accept decisions against us either , I know the ref was bad and the linesman worse, but you have to accept some things against you without calling the ref a F ----- C--t and then swaring at stewards only doing their job . There were women and children at the game and there was no need for this at all . I'll judge this as one game . but I will endeavour to see that we cut this bad behaviour out and where it exsists its punished . Also we must cut out the need for the police to dress like robocop and be there in such large nos . There were allot of public order problems before , in and after the game and this isnt on either . Who ever is the chairman or on the board of the trust next season has their work cut out . mad.gif I was wondering If Paul Davis ( trust chair ) might write to Rovers and apologise for the behaviour of some of our fans . It was disgraceful and im not proud tonight to be a Swindon fan . mad.gif
Panda Paws

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:11:05 »

Quote from: "DV85"
saw a few people sporting some battle scars....as we drove past that pub the police were just arriving....to abuse such as 'a bit fucking late now'

Saying that walking to and from the ground around the rovers fans was fine.

I guess like most sets of supporters you get those who go out looking for trouble, I wouldnt care if they kept it amongst themselves...if they want to do it, let the brain dead idiots do it.

Its when innocent bystanders get involved and injured which makes it even worse....esp if they were just sitting there minding their own business

Exactly! Every team has it's idiots, round them up and stick them in a field while the rest of us have a few beers, a bit of banter and watch the game.

In and around the ground was no problem at all fortunately. I was glad we were not in colours, and traveling from southampton, not swindon so we had n o problems just slipping out of the pub and to the ground. Just hope no one else is seriously injured.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:12:17 »

he's a twat, obviously

[Gerald, not Ted!!]
lebowski

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:12:19 »

oh dear, i was stood in the gangway, and used a few "swar" words!

Oops
lebowski

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:13:40 »

i may well have used the "c" word too - can i be banned for that?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:13:41 »

Tell that cunt I never fucking swear ok?
lebowski

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:14:34 »

:fatbury:
Panda Paws

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:15:17 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
If you can cope with the lack of grammar, try reading Gerald's (shilton_red) account of the game. Nevermind the violence, people standing up and swearing will bring about the end of society as we know it!

This was a disgrace this game . I sat in the xxxx stand ( or stood in it ) because of the mindless morons who support us who wont sit down . And they stand and block the gangways which is very dangerous especially in a full stand . Then we had our fans many who use obscene language , are unsporting and insulting . I was there i heard it and was disgusted by it . At half time I nearly walked out . I said to Jill is it worth me standing and watching the second half . We did and it wasnt allot better than the first . We played awfully , they wanted it more than us . We were all over the place . I congragulate the Rovers fans who dont use obscene language and support their team , they only have one song but its not full of filth or insults like some of ours . We cant accept decisions against us either , I know the ref was bad and the linesman worse, but you have to accept some things against you without calling the ref a F ----- C--t and then swaring at stewards only doing their job . There were women and children at the game and there was no need for this at all . I'll judge this as one game . but I will endeavour to see that we cut this bad behaviour out and where it exsists its punished . Also we must cut out the need for the police to dress like robocop and be there in such large nos . There were allot of public order problems before , in and after the game and this isnt on either . Who ever is the chairman or on the board of the trust next season has their work cut out . mad.gif I was wondering If Paul Davis ( trust chair ) might write to Rovers and apologise for the behaviour of some of our fans . It was disgraceful and im not proud tonight to be a Swindon fan . mad.gif

Is it wrong that I found this post quite humorous???
lebowski

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:16:50 »

very wrong!

mad.gif!!!!
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 21:17:24 »

Quote from: "Ted"

Is it wrong that I found this post quite humorous???

I did too Smiley

Assume the chap doesn't get out much?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: