Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ron Atkinson BBC1 now  (Read 3155 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 13, 2004, 23:25:26 »

Why on earth did he agree to do this awful programme? It's not going to improve the situation at all.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 13, 2004, 23:35:38 »

digging a hole for himself really.

Its weird really, if you speak to many people around that age range they do sometimes make comments like that. Just because they haven't grown up around with the racial mix that we have today i guess. who knows.

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 13, 2004, 23:50:51 »

Big Ron is clearly a racist,in his defence I seriously dont think he realises it.He is from a a generation of people who see no problem in thinking this way.Its how they have grown up and is part of their make up they see the uproar his comments caused as political correctness gone mad.Obviously they are wrong but if people think comments like his aren't made by the white working class community every single day then they are wrong.I think racism is rife on the council estates of this country and the problem doesnt lay at the door of a senile perma-tanned ex football manager ..

/
W56196272
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 13, 2004, 23:51:22 »

Quote from: "Whits"
digging a hole for himself really.

Its weird really, if you speak to many people around that age range they do sometimes make comments like that. Just because they haven't grown up around with the racial mix that we have today i guess. who knows.
thats exactly what i was thinking until a minute ago, but then the programme pointed something out. during an england match against cameroon, atkinson said that one of their players "didn't have a brain". his co-commentator tried to rescue the situation by saying "a footballing brain, you mean, Ron?" "yes" he replied. they went to a commercial break and Ron was heard to have said "do you reckon I got away with that?" "probably" the reply came. "it's alright, his mum'd be the one to complain and she's probably living up a tree somewhere in Africa".

I used to think it was just a mix of ignorance and a poor grasp of the language, but I'm not so sure now.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 13, 2004, 23:53:52 »

Also, Ian Wright said on They Think It's All Over that despite all Ron's claims in terms of buying black players, supporting anti-racism campaigns, etc. he "still takes the pi$$".
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 09:56:05 »

I saw about five minutes of it and it was all film from the 60's/70's and people saying they should go back to the Carribbean. I'm not sure what relevance that holds to Big Ron myself.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 10:06:00 »

I agree with Yo-vil, the older generation don't believe they are racist but as they didn't grow up in the mixed race Britain we live in now their way of thinking was embedded in them from an early age.

We should all start being age-ist to get back at the old fuckers!!!
Piemonte

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 11:50:18 »

I think the key is to hate everyone so as not to discriminate
McLovin

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 12:41:09 »

A nice theory there, Pie!

How is saying that someone doesn't have a brain racist, btw?
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 13:36:43 »

and people get called brainless when they do something stupid, regardless of colour........

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 14:16:26 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"

How is saying that someone doesn't have a brain racist, btw?
They didn't go in to detail but I think he implied that he didn't have a brain because he was black.
McLovin

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 14:41:13 »

hmmmmm, ok.

The thing with his comment is, i honestly believe the only slur Ron was trying to make was on Desailly's performace, he just picked a very wrong word to describe who he was talking about.

'He is a f*cking lazy big French b*stard' would have been far better...
DanOUFC

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 16, 2004, 16:21:37 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
hmmmmm, ok.

The thing with his comment is, i honestly believe the only slur Ron was trying to make was on Desailly's performace, he just picked a very wrong word to describe who he was talking about.

'He is a f*cking lazy big French b*stard' would have been far better...
But then people would accuse him of being xenophobic
DanOUFC

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 16, 2004, 16:23:09 »

Hey what's happened to my old posts!?!? I made about 5 but now they've gone
 Crying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: