Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England V South Africa  (Read 7739 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 18:44:26 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
No doubt now, heads must roll after this debacle,  its about as big a mismatch as Ireland v Australia.

New selectors, new coaches, new captain and new players.

Can we change the sport as well?  are we any good at the odd sport Real Tennis?
lebowski

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 18:49:25 »

Quote from: "mexico red"
as ive said before useless fucking cunts

how about this for a team

prior
loye
adams (c)
peiterson
irani
yardy
shah
flintoff
wright
broad
panesar

a team and captain thats used to winning

as much as i love mal loye's trademark slog sweep for 6, i would rather see some young blood at the top, someone like surrey's james benning. that boy can certainly ping a cricket ball.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 18:50:49 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
No doubt now, heads must roll after this debacle,  its about as big a mismatch as Ireland v Australia.

New selectors, new coaches, new captain and new players.

Can we change the sport as well?  are we any good at the odd sport Real Tennis?

The sport is in need of some major changes....the structure of International cricket is now farcical, as has been shown by this tournament, too many pointless one day internationals clogging up the calendar and leading to player burn out and opening the possibility of corruption.
Scot Munroe

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 20:00:17 »

I listened to all of it at work and it was dreadful. We are missing Trescothick at the top of the order. Who can bully sides.
Spud

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 20:10:36 »

Thank fuck i went out before the South African innings started i think i would have kicked in my HDTV.  :?

Why the fuck isn't Owais Shah in the side? oh that's it, it's because we might actually win games then.
sonic youth

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 20:29:40 »

that was truly woeful, watched it in walkabout...it was funny at the time  :?
red macca

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:21:52 »

Right im going to comment as someone who does not really know fuckall about the sport and i maybe totally wrong but this is the way i see it.

I cannot remember us ever actually having a good team we got a lucky win in the ashes and everyone starting going mad about it.The problem with any decent sportsman outside football is that they get caught up in the celebrity shit that goes with it.It has happened to jenson button,gavin henderson and its now happening to the good cricketers.To a certain extent the cricket team is like the football team and the supporters expect more than the teams are probably capable of.

I await the abuse
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:24:26 »

I agree with Reg, heads must roll.  Probably the first to go will be Andy King - I heard he was in charge of tactics! :king:
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:28:13 »

Quote from: "red macca"
Right im going to comment as someone who does not really know fuckall about the sport and i maybe totally wrong but this is the way i see it.

I cannot remember us ever actually having a good team we got a lucky win in the ashes and everyone starting going mad about it.The problem with any decent sportsman outside football is that they get caught up in the celebrity shit that goes with it.It has happened to jenson button,gavin henderson and its now happening to the good cricketers.To a certain extent the cricket team is like the football team and the supporters expect more than the teams are probably capable of.

I await the abuse

I do think the one day team is very poor standard wise, but that in itself is a huge concern.

The team that won the Ashes was pretty good though, and still could be as a Test team but they won by going out and attacking Australia.  Since then we've retreated back to the old just try and stay in mentality, especially at one day level and I just don't get why.
DMR

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:42:04 »

I await the abuse

No abuse, but you're miles off and the fact you're implying footballers make the best role models is laughable.

I'm annoyed and disappointed like everyone, but this is no suprise. We've been a poor ODI side for a long time, and Test cricket is rightfully our priority.
DMR

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:45:43 »

Mex, get real...

prior- tried, tested and failed
loye- tried, tested and failed. get over the novelty of the slog sweep and there's no international class there
adams- why go back to someone who couldn't cut it in 1998 and can't decided whether he wants to retire, coach, play for sussex or what?
peiterson- of course
irani- old old old, the bowling's gone and decent bowlers will get him out
yardy- too slow a batsman, unfit, not a wicket taking option
shah- yes, get him in the side
flintoff- sort himself out, or fuck off
wright- Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick
broad- in a year, yes
panesar- yes
red macca

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:49:04 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"

I await the abuse

No abuse, but you're miles off and the fact you're implying footballers make the best role models is laughable.

I'm annoyed and disappointed like everyone, but this is no suprise. We've been a poor ODI side for a long time, and Test cricket is rightfully our priority.
Tell me where i once said footballers are role models :?
DMR

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 21:51:51 »

sort of, that's how i interpretated it.

you said footballers handle the fame and the money better than any other sportsmen which is just clearly wrong
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 22:00:02 »

The exact result England needs.

Not to mention the World Cup.

The brand of cricket played by England here has been a disgrace.

One-day cricket is not rocket-science; bowl straight, hit straight and work harder at fielding than anyone else.

England on the other hand; have quick bolwers bowling everywhere, try and dabble every ball through third man, fielding goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Mex's team is so bad it's not funny. We've got close to the 15 best players in the squad and need to stick with themn. England's problem is a lack of experience, most of our guys have only played 30 ODIs as opposed to 300 for most opposition players. We need to identify the bets players and stick with them for four full years. For this summer:

1. m prior+
2. i bell
3. o shah
4. k pietersen
5. p collingwood
6. a flintoff
7. r bopara
8. bowling all-rounder that goes well early season
9. s broad
10. m panesar
11. j anderson

and macca if the 2005 ashes result was a lucky win what about the 7 conescutive series wins against world class opposition home and away that led up top it??
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 22:00:15 »

dave i picked a team with the exception of flintoff and panesar who know how to fucking win.

why not? you saying the current lot are better?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: