Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Long Rant  (Read 7129 times)
land_of_bo

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 13:03:11 »

I hope the plastic paddys choke on their overly priced guiness in their disney-ireland theme pub and suffocate under their cuntish novely hats.

Better?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 13:07:55 »

You ought to see the fuss that Americans make over 'St Paddy's'. Now that would make you angry!

NMH

P.S. Might listen to The Pogues on Saturday to get into the spirit of things.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Gazza's Fat Mate

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 13:33:41 »

Don't get me started on the americans! well done land of bo much better keep it up!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 14:09:57 »

St Patrick wasn't even Irish  Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 14:16:10 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"

No but St George wasnt English either!

But I am all for celebrating St Georges day as it is OUR national day.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Devon Red

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 14:27:12 »

I don't mind people going out on St Pats as usually they're simply using it as an excuse to just get pissed, not actually caring about the occasion, but it does annoy me how more efort is made for this than St George's day. Me and a load of mates went out last year wearing England shirts, flags, etc and got turned away from one place saying we were "inappropriately dressed"...the same place that had been handing out paddys stuff a couple of months earlier with no complaints!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 14:32:07 »

Quote from: "jjedmunds"
Quote from: "simon pieman"

No but St George wasnt English either!

But I am all for celebrating St George's day as it is OUR national day.

Absolutely. I do actually think St Patrick's is more about drinking Guinness and getting drunk but I think that's the appeal.

I think if the marketing people did the same for St George's the same would happen.
sonic youth

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 14:48:51 »

St Patrick's Day is a marketing exercise for Guinness, which is a bastard but Guinness is so nice.

I don't 'celebrate' either but I'd rather celebrate my Englishness than the fact I'm fucking British
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 15:10:24 »

Quote from: "Nomoreheroes"
You ought to see the fuss that Americans make over 'St Paddy's'. Now that would make you angry!

NMH

P.S. Might listen to The Pogues on Saturday to get into the spirit of things.

It would indeed make me angry Yes

Irish Americans seem to have a kind of Disneyized version of Ireland in their own minds with leprechauns sitting on every second shamrock or something. A bit like this one in fact:

http://img.tfd.com/dict/4D/67E48-leprechaun.gif

(Look at him, bless him he even has a little pot of gold :? ) and where the IRA are noble, selfless 'Freedom Fighters'.

A prime example of this kind of thing is the possible number one pick in this year's NFL Draft - Brady Quinn - I mean, FFS! Brady Quinn! is there anyone in the whole of Ireland who is called Brady Quinn? It's like they have to be more Irish than Irish. Of course, he attends Notre Damn University, home of the "Fightin' Irish". Just for good measure, he hails from Dublin, Ohio - Give me a break :roll:
Gazza's Fat Mate

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 15:37:39 »

I wrote to JD Weatherspoons a few years ago arfter being turned away one saint geogres day have a saint geaogre flag etc.

I got a letter back from Mr Irman Khan, Customer Services Manager. He stated that as the flag of saint george may cause offivnse to ethinc minoties the bar staff were correct in refusing me entry. I responded pointing out to him that as these people were in England they should respect the English culture etc.

Any way a few months went by and nothing happened and I forgot about it. I then got a letter from the Commission for Racial Equality suggestiong that my letter was bording on racist and I should show more consideration to minortires feelings. I didn't write back as i didn't wanna get into a row with the cre who god knows what might have happened!
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 15:55:42 »

Cheesy

Spud

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 16:04:58 »

The other week a woman my gf works with was going on about Mothers Day, she then says that it's the day after St. Patricks Day.

I replied with "Well i wouldn't know that being English and all!"

What annoys me is English people who go out for St.Patricks Day but not St.Georges Day.
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 16:09:40 »

I have alot of irish family living in Ireland but agree with you.
You know in they hardly do anything, it's just another day in the pub! none of this shamrock shite where i come from!

It's all a marketing ploy as far as i'm concerned - although they are trying to grasp it with St Georges day to. I seem to remember the pub i worked at last year got sent a load of promo stuff but none of it was ever put out unlike the Guinness stuff. I think patriotism is making a big come back here and im glad to see it, fingers crossed we'll see flags flying on St Georges day in the near future!

Plus i have no idea why English people would celebrate it when alot of the Irish i know dislike us so much from history etc
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 16:11:28 »

Does this mean lawro can get ratted all day on st georges day?

Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 16:15:25 »

Quote from: "Bushey Boy"
Does this mean lawro can get ratted all day on st georges day?

You think i have a choice if you lure him with your cooking and amazing body?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: