Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Friday Joke Thread  (Read 217882 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:39:18 »

I got the veet one, but it wasn't funny.

Veet apparently = weed in a Dutch accent?

Bit Veek, yeah (geddit?).

Who's Steven Wells, and does your brother have a different surname to you then?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:52:34 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Wells

Never really got into any of the so called Punk Poets.
Did see Attila the Stockbroker live once and was mightily impressed.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:57:26 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Wells

Never really got into any of the so called Punk Poets.
Did see Attila the Stockbroker live once and was mightily impressed.

I did think of Seething Wells, but couldn't imagine this was who the youth of today were talking about. I follow Attila on fb so get to see his musings - only ever invested in A Bang & A Wimpy on that brilliant Cherry Red sampler back in the day.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 10:18:15 »

I got the veet one, but it wasn't funny.

Veet apparently = weed in a Dutch accent?

I got the premise but it didn’t make sense to me.

Tennis Bergkamp didn’t get it either...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #769 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 10:59:48 »

Bit Veek, yeah (geddit?).

Who's Steven Wells, and does your brother have a different surname to you then?

No idea who "the" Steven Wells, but yeah my brother and I have different surnames, we had different dads.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 11:19:23 »

Great. So now all we have to work out is which Steven Wells Bamboo was talking about, and why.
It's tiring trying to read his mind, never mind his posts sometimes.  Head Hurts

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 15:04:52 »

Thanks RE: Joke. Possibly better when heard or delivered but "original" jokes are difficult to compose. Easy to slip into the traditional style though or "Dad" jokes. The old ones, you can't beat 'em!

Why would you need to be reading my mind? That kind of thing is left for Septic Peg surely? Hmmm As for the "baby jokes" if you're struggling RF, it is pretty much the basis for the start of this thread.

Tbh, I'd rather at least make conversation and my own inference (and at least have the balls to own up when getting it wrong). Rather than sitting on the fence, awaiting an outcome constantly (where's the fun in that when regarding speculation?) or making immature comments when someone has asked for advice (that one is reserved for my TEF stalker Valid Pint).

It's an easy life to just go along with consensus or agree for the sake of it but then is that really the true character of a person? I think a lot of people in general do trade a part of their true self off in order to keep others happy; possibly without even realising. Each to their own but that isn't me for the most part.

As for Steven Wells. Complete coincidence Jayo Smiley I was referring to Seething Wells, as RF and WB referred to.

Anyway, chuck us your shit jokes Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 15:53:51 »

Just mildly impressed someone of your vintage has even heard of Seething Wells.

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 16:13:16 »

Just mildly impressed someone of your vintage has even heard of Seething Wells.

I did used to spend a chunk of time south of the river  Wink

Haha, I always find that odd. Like with music etc. I like and admire a lot of spoken word stuff (or mutations of it). You'd find me in a tent at a festival listening to Billy Bragg ramble on all afternoon. The obvious ones like Benjamin Zeph and JC-C too but I do think Kate Tempest is incredibly talented. A lot don't like that she spills with her accent in tact. I think that keeps her genuine.

But back to Steven Wells. I used to read NME a lot during the mid nineties and was fascinated by soul, punk and several thrash bands (as well as all the alt elements that derive from.) but he also hated Richard Branson. I guess he was just relatable to me from the age of about 7 or 8 onwards.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 16:31:47 »

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 16:39:53 »

I did used to spend a chunk of time south of the river  Wink

Haha, I always find that odd. Like with music etc. I like and admire a lot of spoken word stuff (or mutations of it). You'd find me in a tent at a festival listening to Billy Bragg ramble on all afternoon. The obvious ones like Benjamin Zeph and JC-C too but I do think Kate Tempest is incredibly talented. A lot don't like that she spills with her accent in tact. I think that keeps her genuine.

But back to Steven Wells. I used to read NME a lot during the mid nineties and was fascinated by soul, punk and several thrash bands (as well as all the alt elements that derive from.) but he also hated Richard Branson. I guess he was just relatable to me from the age of about 7 or 8 onwards.

J C-C is now considered a national treasure... although not exactly a punk poet, more a dub poet Linton Kwesi Johnson is still going strong.... saw him several times I guess late 70's early 80's.

Steven Wells was born in Swindon
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 16:44:21 »

J C-C is now considered a national treasure... although not exactly a punk poet, more a dub poet Linton Kwesi Johnson is still going strong.... saw him several times I guess late 70's early 80's.

Maybe he's Jayo's brother then.

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 17:14:18 »

I like it Wink But I'll never be sorry for liking stuff that was supposedly "before" my time. I'm sure there is stuff you're interested in that many would think is boring af.

I love spoken word, my dad was a regularly published poet. We all have stuff that makes us tick. If the arts isn't for you, that's fine but I certainly won't mock you for whatever you might be passionate about (outside of STFC).

Aye, Kwesi Johnson is cracking but he's not that old Reg. Can't be any older than 70? Plenty left in him yet. Have never seen him yet though and early 80s you probably saw at his most relevant (unfortunately I was yet to be born). He could have some kind of revivalist prominence in the scene due to current events regarding black culture. But I think this is in part why I like Tempest as she is rather "dubby" to a degree at times but leans more to the modernist hip-hop style.

Yes indeed he was, which is why I asked the previous question. Certainly taken too soon.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 18:24:12 »

Smiley

That wasn't a reference to your penchant for older stuff, more a tongue in cheek reference to you derailing the joke thread and leaving everyone scratching their heads.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 18:36:12 »

Smiley

That wasn't a reference to your penchant for older stuff, more a tongue in cheek reference to you derailing the joke thread and leaving everyone scratching their heads.

Kneejerk from me (hands up) soz. Nice back track from you too  Wink

In my defense I don't think it warranted much head scratching (which I admit is rare for me). I did lead with a "joke" and the link to Steven Wells came about after I mentioned Jupitus (Porky, I think he went by). They were in a similar circle earlier on, so I wrongly assumed others would click on.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: