Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 ... 312   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gigs  (Read 1073571 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3915 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 09:43:59 »

Reading DV Canio’s dystopian vision of the future of spectator sport in general and football in particular (on another thread) got me thinking about live music.

As a keen gig goer, the next gig for me that is still pencilled in, is not until the end of June, everything else has been wiped. Some of the rescheduling from March to August for example is looking a bit optimistic.

I can’t see venues opening before the end of the year at the very earliest.
If further down the line venues are allowed to open with the minimum number of staff etc, could live streaming be a solution? (Assuming that most bands will still want to include the obnoxious drummer or the tardy bassist in their collective “social bubble”).
Live music, like football, needs an audience, a crowd.

Some of the live performances put up on Facebook from some loft conversion with just the singer, a selection of guitars and an effects pedal kit have been good and a very different experience, but it’s not the same.

Anyway, here are some of the things that would normally irritate at a gig, but are now just missed.

Being quite tall, but always ending up behind someone just that little bit taller. Every time.

Taking up position in a good viewing spot only to find that it’s on the main route to the bar or the toilets.

Ending up next to a group of talkers.

People who barge their way through to the front as soon as the lights go down.

People who carry three pints into a packed crowd. The good old raised double hand triangle formation.
I couldn’t do that. The meek shall inherit the earth approach to life would mean politely standing behind the first obstacle until they noticed me and then hopefully move aside.

People who try and squeeze into that non-existent gap.
It’s a gradual process and after about 4 or 5 songs it’s like wearing an unwanted second skin.

Don’t mind people who perch on somebody’s shoulders, but there should be a rule that only one of them is allowed to face the stage.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #3916 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:02:53 »

Don’t mind people who perch on somebody’s shoulders, but there should be a rule that only one of them is allowed to face the stage.

I really do mind this. Pyramid Stage/main stage at a fest, I would expect it but still find it very selfish, utilitarianism and that. I guess if you're tiny and can't see when stood, it's okay for a bit.

Do it in the wrong crowd and you won't be up there for long. When Dizzee Rascal was new (first album time) there was a lot of anticipation in the tent at Reading before he came on. Anyone on shoulders got pelted with cups and liquids and if that didn't work they were physically dragged off the shoulders.

A lady near me tried to literally "shush" some talkers once. It was a James Blake gig and I laughed out loud when she tried it.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3917 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:40:59 »

I was gonna say, I haven't been to many gigs where people on shoulders weren't immediately pelted with cups and cans. Particularly at festivals.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3918 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:02:23 »

shoulder sitters, talkers at acoustic gigs and persistent phone videoing. shoot them all.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3919 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:04:40 »

I've got no problem with phones. Memories fade. I've got videos from gigs I went to years ago that I love watching back.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3920 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:07:21 »

Only ever notice people on shoulders at New Model Army gigs and that's for a couple of songs where they wave their arms around a bit. Adds to the experience.

Fans at Mission gigs used to build human pyramids i.e. standing on shoulders.
Saw one effort that didn't end well.

Not been to Glastonbury but would probably find the load of flags and banners near the front a bit annoying.
I guess they are used so that friends can find them again?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3921 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:11:18 »

Quote from: Tails
I've got no problem with phones. Memories fade. I've got videos from gigs I went to years ago that I love watching back.
the whole gig  =🔫
a song or two I get
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3922 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:23:07 »

the whole gig  =🔫
a song or two I get

oh yeah, that I agree with!
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #3923 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 14:46:57 »

Only ever notice people on shoulders at New Model Army gigs and that's for a couple of songs where they wave their arms around a bit. Adds to the experience.

Fans at Mission gigs used to build human pyramids i.e. standing on shoulders.
Saw one effort that didn't end well.

Not been to Glastonbury but would probably find the load of flags and banners near the front a bit annoying.
I guess they are used so that friends can find them again?

I am missing gigs but not as much as attending the cultural home of English football. All gigs postponed until October.
I don't mind people on shoulders as long as it is just a song or two. In my yoof, and being tall, I was quite in demand by young ladies! On shoulders and pyramids at NMA (and years ago The Mission) is part of the experience and like that the crowd take care of those at the top. A family indeed! Hopefully this will remain despite the increasing age of the audience and dodgy hips.
Stopped going to big festivals like Pilton in 1992. The biggest I go to is Beautiful days and flags etc aren't an issue.
I can only add dodgy guts (not mine!) as a source of annoyance in a confined space.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3924 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 15:32:32 »

All gigs postponed until October.

Any source for that ?
Have tickets for Rammstein at the Ricoh 20th June and that shows as still going ahead.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3925 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 15:56:37 »

Any source for that ?
Have tickets for Rammstein at the Ricoh 20th June and that shows as still going ahead.
I would be absolutely shocked if any gigs take place in the UK before the end of July/early August at the earliest.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3926 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 16:45:50 »

I would be absolutely shocked if any gigs take place in the UK before the end of July/early August at the earliest.

Yeah me too,I think in this case its down to the band to cancel or a blanket ban which I haven't seen yet.
I know Rammstein have had to cancel most German dates as there is a ban on large gatherings there for during their tour.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #3927 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 17:37:01 »

Ive got gigs booked to work on the 3rd and 5th of September. 
Manchester Ritz on the 3rd and Alexandra Palace Theatre on the 5th.

Fuck knows if they will actually happen or not.  Im pretending its all going ahead and if it doesn't then maybe I'll get paid anyway.

Never knowingly overstated.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #3928 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 17:38:23 »

Any source for that ?

No blanket ban that I am aware of. I meant gigs that I have tickets for.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3929 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 17:49:42 »

I've got Gigs in September. I very much doubt they will happen. How you going to tape of a mosh pit into 2m squares?
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 ... 312   Go Up
Print
Jump to: