Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 [249] 250 251 252 ... 312   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gigs  (Read 1072880 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3720 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 10:37:56 »

Miles Kane for me in Bristol tonight - he’s superb live.
Smashed it as usual - great gig. I do like the Bristol 02 as a venue.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 10:54:58 by Quagmire » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3721 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 11:14:14 »

I do like the Bristol 02 as a venue.
Really? I hate the venue myself, my band played there twice about 5 years ago and the facilities for bands is very poor, also when a gig is a sell out, or close, there is very little space inside for punters and its a messy layout.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3722 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:02:52 »

I like the messy-ness of it. I have watched Miles Kane, Foals and Courteeners their and it’s always been what I would call a ‘proper gig’ .
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3723 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:11:11 »

it’s always been what I would call a ‘proper gig’ .
IE cramped and sweaty! yes I know what you mean I just prefer a little more elbow space in my old age!

sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #3724 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:33:35 »

Have had mixed experiences with tribute acts in the past. Oasish are at The Vic this Saturday. Anyone know if they are worth the tenner they are asking for entry?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3725 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:44:38 »

Have had mixed experiences with tribute acts in the past. Oasish are at The Vic this Saturday. Anyone know if they are worth the tenner they are asking for entry?
They’re awful - come to our Kasabian tribute in Melksham on Saturday instead  Wink
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3726 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:45:10 »

IE cramped and sweaty! yes I know what you mean I just prefer a little more elbow space in my old age!
Exactly that, cramped, sweaty and covered in lager.  Pint
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3727 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 13:58:00 »

Got punched on the bicep in Bristol O2 Academy once.
For no apparent reason, but the punching of strangers is a popular pastime in Bristol apparently.
There are better venues there. The Fleece is a favourite.

Pete Murphy in Manchester tonight.
Probably last chance to catch some classic Bauhaus live.
Hopefully it will be worth the journey.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3728 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 16:11:00 »

Really? I hate the venue myself, my band played there twice about 5 years ago and the facilities for bands is very poor, also when a gig is a sell out, or close, there is very little space inside for punters and its a messy layout.

Sheffield O2 is similar if I remember, the stage area and "pit" is good and intimate but because they have a mezzanine, if you like to be towards the back (near the bar) then your view gets cut out by the mezz and also the fucks the sound up. It only sounds decent if you're near the stage area. It's just a weird "messy L" shape. Poor layout. For punters and performers (unless you're the lucky 100 close in). Not ideal.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3729 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 16:13:01 »

For no apparent reason, but the punching of strangers is a popular pastime in Bristol apparently.

Enjoy Wobbly. That should be a cracking gig.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3730 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 16:29:47 »

Sheffield O2 is similar if I remember, the stage area and "pit" is good and intimate but because they have a mezzanine, if you like to be towards the back (near the bar) then your view gets cut out by the mezz and also the fucks the sound up. It only sounds decent if you're near the stage area. It's just a weird "messy L" shape. Poor layout. For punters and performers (unless you're the lucky 100 close in). Not ideal.
Yep sounds very similar indeed.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3731 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 08:49:59 »

So did you enjoy the thin white count? I saw the tour a month back and thought he was on great form.

Just bought tickets for Peter Hook & The Light in Jan. Anyone seen them? I fear his voice and presence won't do justice to the JD classics, but having missed the original, this is as close as I'll get.

Oh, and a tip for you as a Magazine fan: check out Via Sacra on Dave Formula's Satellite Sweetheart album. Effectively the last Magazine song ever, and better than anything since The Correct Use of Soap.  Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3732 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 09:09:27 »

So did you enjoy the thin white count? I saw the tour a month back and thought he was on great form.

Just bought tickets for Peter Hook & The Light in Jan. Anyone seen them? I fear his voice and presence won't do justice to the JD classics, but having missed the original, this is as close as I'll get.

Oh, and a tip for you as a Magazine fan: check out Via Sacra on Dave Formula's Satellite Sweetheart album. Effectively the last Magazine song ever, and better than anything since The Correct Use of Soap.  Wink

Yes, it was very good.
The chiselled features still very much in evidence.

Saw Peter Hook earlier this year.
Ok and as you say about the voice etc.
I think that the current set might be more New Order, but they do open with the JD stuff.

Will check out the Dave Formula one.
Saw Barry Adamson recently.
Finished up with "Light pours out of me".
King of Cool.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3733 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 09:46:59 »

Just bought tickets for Peter Hook & The Light in Jan. Anyone seen them?

Saw them at Gloucester Guildhall last year and thoroughly enjoyed them.  
Just my opinion but I'd happily see them over current New Order any day of the week. I prefer the JD/early NO sound. Sure he's touring Technique/Republic now, good albums though.

Big fan of Hooky, never going to win a singing award but it was never about the voice for me anyway (including Curtis and Barney in that too).
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3734 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 12:51:32 »

Saw them at Gloucester Guildhall last year and thoroughly enjoyed them.  
Just my opinion but I'd happily see them over current New Order any day of the week. I prefer the JD/early NO sound. Sure he's touring Technique/Republic now, good albums though.

Big fan of Hooky, never going to win a singing award but it was never about the voice for me anyway (including Curtis and Barney in that too).

Oh lord, I dumped New Order after their second album. Never did get the whole dance-friendly thing. Still, I'm sure I'll get snippets of the misery I'm looking for.  Smiley

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 [249] 250 251 252 ... 312   Go Up
Print
Jump to: