Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 ... 312   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gigs  (Read 1073208 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3405 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 16:41:03 »

enjoyed the stranglers last year at Grillstock. Agree that you know more of their songs than you think..

Darkness are doing this year's Sunday at Grillstock Sad
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #3406 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 19:24:57 »

Should be a good 10 mins then.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #3407 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 21:14:40 »

First saw the Stranglers about 40 years ago. They must be ancient if any of the originals are still in it. Older than me I reckon.  This summer marks the 50th anniversary of Sgt Pepper.... a strange feeling.

I thought the same (that maybe there weren't many original members left, just the lead singer perhaps), but did some research when I got home and was pleasantly surprised. The awesome bassist is original, as is the dude on keys I think, along with the lead singer. The drummer was some young chap.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3408 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 21:29:54 »

I thought the same (that maybe there weren't many original members left, just the lead singer perhaps), but did some research when I got home and was pleasantly surprised. The awesome bassist is original, as is the dude on keys I think, along with the lead singer. The drummer was some young chap.

It's only bassist JJ Burnel and Dave Greenfield on keys from the original lineup now. Jet Black is a bit too knackered to bash the skins these days, and Hugh Cornwell meandered off ages ago to do his own minor thing. A friend said that they were great with Ruts DC at the weekend.

Buzzcocks were shit.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #3409 on: Sunday, March 26, 2017, 22:10:18 »

That makes sense about the lead singer, Wikipedia says he went off in 1990, has it always been the current replacement? He had presence but the bassist and keys stood out.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #3410 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 08:00:17 »

enjoyed the stranglers last year at Grillstock. Agree that you know more of their songs than you think..

Pretty sure I know them all!  Cheesy

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #3411 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 08:10:40 »

That makes sense about the lead singer, Wikipedia says he went off in 1990, has it always been the current replacement? He had presence but the bassist and keys stood out.
Hugh Cornwell left in 1990. He and Burnel wrote all the songs.

Cornwell was replaced by Paul Roberts on vocals and John Ellis (former member of The Vibrators) on guitar.

John Ellis left after alll his songs were rejected for an album in 2000. He was replaced by Baz Warne (bald bloke who used to be in the Toy Dolls).

Paul Roberts left in 2006 (much to the relief of many fans) and they reverted to a 4 piece with Warne & Burnel sharing vocals.

Jet Black is now in his 70s and struggling with health. He was replaced for live gigs by his drum tech Ian Barnard but is still in the band and makes appearances every now and again.

Cornwell is still going strong on his own (touring as a 3 piece band). He stopped playing Stranglers songs for 10-15 years, but has more recently incorporated them back into his setlist. He has produced a number of very different albums since leaving the Stranglers, while the Stranglers (especially in the last few years) have focussed on back catalogue and when they have produced albums, they have gone for the tried and trusted formula (imho).

Cornwell has a new album written (and I think recorded) but its not known when it will be released.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 27, 2017, 08:17:14 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3412 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 09:56:57 »

Jet Black was a neighbour of a bird I used to be with in the early 80's. 

She lived in the Cotswolds....when I say neighbour, it was the next nearest house but plenty of distance in between. Used to amuse me how The Stranglers sought at the time to have the urban, street cred, working class image, but Jet was the epitome of a country set arriviste.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #3413 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 14:51:34 »

It's only bassist JJ Burnel and Dave Greenfield on keys from the original lineup now. Jet Black is a bit too knackered to bash the skins these days, and Hugh Cornwell meandered off ages ago to do his own minor thing. A friend said that they were great with Ruts DC at the weekend.

Buzzcocks were shit.

Buzzcocks are shit these days.Diggle is a prize dick

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #3414 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 15:52:09 »

Hugh Cornwell left in 1990. He and Burnel wrote all the songs.

Cornwell was replaced by Paul Roberts on vocals and John Ellis (former member of The Vibrators) on guitar.

John Ellis left after alll his songs were rejected for an album in 2000. He was replaced by Baz Warne (bald bloke who used to be in the Toy Dolls).

Paul Roberts left in 2006 (much to the relief of many fans) and they reverted to a 4 piece with Warne & Burnel sharing vocals.

Jet Black is now in his 70s and struggling with health. He was replaced for live gigs by his drum tech Ian Barnard but is still in the band and makes appearances every now and again.

Cornwell is still going strong on his own (touring as a 3 piece band). He stopped playing Stranglers songs for 10-15 years, but has more recently incorporated them back into his setlist. He has produced a number of very different albums since leaving the Stranglers, while the Stranglers (especially in the last few years) have focussed on back catalogue and when they have produced albums, they have gone for the tried and trusted formula (imho).

Cornwell has a new album written (and I think recorded) but its not known when it will be released.

I had no idea Ian Barnard was now drumming for them.  If its the same one I did a european tour with Stevie Wonder he was drum tech on a few years back.  Very nice man.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3415 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 16:09:06 »

Buzzcocks are shit these days.Diggle is a prize dick

I know. Should have learnt from seeing them in Oxford a few years back. Awful sound, hoping to hide all their mistakes under noisy guitar thrash, couldn't understand a word they said between numbers. I liked Shelley's angsty electro-pop stuff after he left them too. But nothing's survived. Just pot-bellied amateur pub punk. Not sure I've seen a band go that badly to seed. I'm hurt.
 Crying

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3416 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 22:06:49 »

The Jesus and Mary Chain in Leeds tonight. The Church  Smiley

Leeds is a Northern Powerhouse because it has 5 x JDW's.
Locals seem friendly.

You're only here to watch The Town......
Happy days.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #3417 on: Monday, March 27, 2017, 22:42:53 »

How were they Wobbly?  The Mary Chain are in Oxford soon, but can't help thinking some things are best left in the part of my brain untouched in 30 years*

*see also Buzzcocks discussion for those another 15 years older.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3418 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 06:15:34 »

How were they Wobbly?  The Mary Chain are in Oxford soon, but can't help thinking some things are best left in the part of my brain untouched in 30 years*

*see also Buzzcocks discussion for those another 15 years older.

Good. Volume turned up, much more raw sound since last time I saw them.
The new material stands up well.

Atmospheric venue. Not for those who actually like to see the band on stage, as only Jim Reid was barely visible behind the wall of dry ice.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #3419 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 06:27:09 »

Saw Circa Waves at o2 brizzle last night - average. The support band The Magic Gang, however, were very good.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 ... 312   Go Up
Print
Jump to: