Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 ... 312   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gigs  (Read 1083027 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #3810 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 15:59:07 »

We were a shambling Indie band called the purple room.  That was the very start of us playing.  Didn't get much further to be fair!

Never knowingly overstated.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3811 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 16:08:01 »

Yes, Ian Dozer. The memory of Thomas Dossevi continues to interfere with clear thinking.

About the only Swindon band I can name now are Charred Hearts.
Who didn't waste the opportunity to over play when supporting Buzzcocks at MECA at few years back.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #3812 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 16:21:03 »

Yes, I saw that Buzzcocks prelude. Was that the band where the singer bravely /recklessly/ ill advisedly (delete as appropriate) dived into the (fairly sparse at the time) mosh pit? He got away with it, mind and seemed to jolly well enjoy the whole experience.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #3813 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 16:27:11 »

Still relating to that era but to a different musical genre, anyone attend the illegal rave near Lechlade in ‘92?

https://freepartypeople.wordpress.com/category/lechlade/
woolster

« Reply #3814 on: Sunday, June 23, 2019, 13:49:29 »

2 tickets booked for the mighty Maiden, in Vegas Pint Pint
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3815 on: Sunday, June 23, 2019, 17:46:37 »

2 tickets booked for the mighty Maiden, in Vegas Pint Pint

Been on the tramadol again ? 🤣
woolster

« Reply #3816 on: Sunday, June 23, 2019, 18:56:55 »

Been on the tramadol again ? 🤣
no, had an interest free offer i couldn't pass up Yes
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 23, 2019, 19:04:33 by woolster » Logged
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #3817 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 12:29:55 »

Anyone remember attending gigs in the little venue within the Link Centre in the late 80’s? Saw The Popguns, Seers, Chesterfields, King of the Slums amongst others. Good early indie education!

Yes! I used to go there a lot and played there with various bands i was in. Great little venue! My band supported the Vibrators and Adorable there over the years.
I saw a pre- Brimful of Asher Cornershop there just after we beat Leicester in the play offs. They were a Leicester band and the promoters tipped red and white confetti on their heads when they came on stage,much to the bemusement of the band.

Also used to do a brilliant comedy night there,where i saw a pre fame Eddie Izzard,Alan Davies and Jo Brand and loads of others.
I've not lived in Swindon for 20 years,is it still going??
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3818 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 14:17:01 »

Looking forward to Lets Rock Exeter this coming weekend, VIP tickets lined up with...

Human League, Billy Ocean, Belinda Carlisle, Nik Kershaw, Go West, Snap, Thomas Dolby, The Real Thing, Betty Boo, Johnny Hates Jazz, Tight Fit, Belouis Some, Owen Paul, Belle Stars, Musical Youth, Westworld, Brother Beyond and Tight Fit.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3819 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 15:30:00 »

Looking forward to Lets Rock Exeter this coming weekend, VIP tickets lined up with...

Human League, Billy Ocean, Belinda Carlisle, Nik Kershaw, Go West, Snap, Thomas Dolby, The Real Thing, Betty Boo, Johnny Hates Jazz, Tight Fit, Belouis Some, Owen Paul, Belle Stars, Musical Youth, Westworld, Brother Beyond and Tight Fit.

Don't drive down the middle of the road on the way there.  Wink

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3820 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 15:34:05 »

Don't drive down the middle of the road on the way there.  Wink
Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep Smiley

Nothing wrong with a bit of middle of the road pop, not every band or artist thinks or wants to change the world with their music, some just want to play music for fun.

Also for me the 80s was what I grew up throught teenage years listening to so it makes for a decent days entertainment.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 24, 2019, 16:35:53 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3821 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 15:51:33 »

Yes! I used to go there a lot and played there with various bands i was in. Great little venue! My band supported the Vibrators and Adorable there over the years.
I saw a pre- Brimful of Asher Cornershop there just after we beat Leicester in the play offs. They were a Leicester band and the promoters tipped red and white confetti on their heads when they came on stage,much to the bemusement of the band.

Also used to do a brilliant comedy night there,where i saw a pre fame Eddie Izzard,Alan Davies and Jo Brand and loads of others.
I've not lived in Swindon for 20 years,is it still going??

In the mid 80's when The Link opened, SBC was run by Labour and as such they had an officer who's job it was to facilitate the provision of "art"  this would range from the public art still on display in W Swindon, through to esoteric jazz nights in The Link.... nice. Such fripperies are long gone.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3822 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 16:20:28 »

Yep I think your interpretation of the set list is pretty much spot on.
Hope you enjoy Thetford 👍
Great concert in a superb venue with virtually the same set list as Westonbirt...you know what you're going to get with PW - and an absolute belter of a second encore comprising of Start! Precious, Move On Up and A Town Called Malice.

This is a staple of his set list these days, which is great as it's one of my favourite Jam/PW tracks...

Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #3823 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 20:00:27 »

Glad you enjoyed it OST !  👍
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3824 on: Monday, June 24, 2019, 20:10:55 »

Lee "Scratch" Perry in London tonight.
Fuck me, 83 and still going strong.

Not expecting much in the way of vocal quality.
Being in the presence of legend and genius is enough.

He must have smoked some shit in his time.
Still, good enough for him, good enough for the next potential PM.

As an aside, didn't someone on here mention that they had tickets for Download (one of the Wooly's maybe)?
A bit muddy at the site by all accounts with people packing it in before the festival started.
A wet and muddy Glastonbury will be good fun.
A far cry from the early 70's when Reg could run around the site stark bollock naked and nobody would bat an eyelid.

How was he? I'd better get a shift on and see him. Is he still sort of semi resident at the jazz cafe?
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 ... 312   Go Up
Print
Jump to: