Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 92% back Fans' consortium  (Read 4249 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 20:59:35 »

Bit like the Rams, they stayed just around the corner from their old patch - St Louis or LA, does it really matter?

To even contemplate it really goes against the whole ethos of football as it has developed in this country.  How can you set limits before the move is too far?  30 miles?  Well, you be contemplating moving Liverpool to Manchester with a few more strides, or how about Sunderland shifting on to Newcastle?  Portsmouth could try out Southampton for a bit.

Aside from that, what about the other clubs any move would impact?  Just because we are a bigger team than Chippenham, should we be allowed to effectively plant ourselves in amongst their town and supporter base?  Why couldn't Man Utd move down to Swindon and build a new super stadium for themselves (if we had the land to build on) so they could be closer to the major transport links?

On another thread NMH discusses getting back to what football was all about in the golden days, but then you talk about US stadiums (where we are headed BTW) and franchising being the way forward.
Maverick

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 21:05:21 »

That is why I so hate the premiership and all it stands for Rob ... money, power and branding ..... the hell with the ordinary fan ..... oh and of course not forgetting Franchise .... I hated our season in the Premiership .... and it is so much worse now .... but I do envy Colchester ...  I would love to be back in the Championship .... at least until that completely sells out as well.
fatbury

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 21:15:58 »

Quote from: "Nomoreheroes"
Quote from: "fatbury"
not going to matter to this board tho is it .. they dont care about the fans .. just how much money they can make out of relocating to Chippenham ..nothing else is important to them

Probably not the best place to say this, but what is so wrong with relocating ? I've been lucky enough to live abroad for a few years and attend sporting occasions in the US. The stadia and facilities are so far in advance of any of the old decrepid stadia in the UK. Its lovely to go for a slash and not have to wade through piss, or queue for ages to go into a corrugated iron shed. Its nice to be covered and protected from rain, sleet and snow etc. Its just a nice experience as when the facilities get 'tired' then what happens ? A new stadium is built !

At the end of the day, as long as the relocation isn't major and the team name doesn't change then who cares !

NMH

are u Mike Bawden?? a good majority of current fans would NOT go if Swindon relocated to Chippenham ... its a simple as that .. id rather start AFC Swindon if that happened
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 22:16:06 »

Chippenham is not right for STFC

-Our fanbase would become divided
-The name of the club would be a farse
-We would be intruding on Chippenham Town's patch

Ignoring the financial side, there is not a single positive - keeping the County Ground would be favourable to all

As it stands we DO need the money, and this board has quite clearly shown that it is not capable of sorting that out within the Borough. That is why they need to move on.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 16:43:41 »

Quote from: "Maverick"
In my opinion ... the moment is passing ... if the talks come to nothing ... what then?  Fans are fickle .... some will stay away again by way of protest ... but most will continue to go, especially as for once we are having a better season ... I know of a few people who have started coming back again just because we are up for promotion.

Maverick - recent history has shown us that the moment doesn't pass, it simply delays from time to time.  These boards are quiet at the moment, and rightly so.  We are waiting on the outcome of the meetings that we have been hoping for for months.  While these sensitive discussions take place, we as fans need to bide our time - and that is what is happening.

I think it helps to think back to the occasion when Paul Sturrock went on record to voice his support for the current board late last year.  For a couple of days, the takeover movement suffered something of a body blow.  We weren’t expecting that and I, for one, was depressed as hell.  But it didn’t kill the movement, because the dissatisfaction with the board (and the desire to work for a better future than they can offer the club) is deeply rooted.  The movement suffered a temporary winding, and then came back as strong as ever.

Similarly, if this is still going on in May and if (hopefully when) we get promoted, it will inevitably distract us temporarily from the politics.  (I hope it does, anyway.  We deserve something to cheer about.)  But the lull will be temporary.  After the euphoria dies, we will be one division higher and still facing the same long term issues.

More immediately, I am quite sure there will be another, probably bigger, show of dissent if the board try to block progress in the talks.  (There is little to suggest this is happening at the moment, so I remain hopeful.)  Diamandis is receiving less criticism at the moment because it seems he is now talking.  If that perception changes, so will the respite.

And if Chippenham begins to move up the agenda, there will be all out war!  The moment certainly has not passed.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 17:15:51 »

Ardiles, I like what I have just read, good post sir.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 17:16:06 »

I note with his customary even handedness Maverick fails to analyse the 3% in favour of Board vote.....which is clearly a rigged multi-voter.....there's no way 135 fans support the Board.

I guess Maverick just couldn't find time to get any more in.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 17:20:45 »

Oh come on Reg, I'm sure as most board supporters are honest, upstanding pillars of the community they wouldn't have voted more than once.  Only the dregs of society who support the consortium would resort to such dirty tactics.
Maverick

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 21:05:07 »

:-))(
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 21:20:00 »

I can't believe people have got so little to do (on either side) than sit there and try and rig an Adver poll.  It's pretty clear that the consortuim have the majority so hopefully that will translate into action
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 21:25:04 »

Quote from: "Nomoreheroes"
not going to matter to this board tho is it .. they dont care about the fans .. just how much money they can make out of relocating to Chippenham ..nothing else is important to them

Probably not the best place to say this, but what is so wrong with relocating ? I've been lucky enough to live abroad for a few years and attend sporting occasions in the US. The stadia and facilities are so far in advance of any of the old decrepid stadia in the UK. Its lovely to go for a slash and not have to wade through piss, or queue for ages to go into a corrugated iron shed. Its nice to be covered and protected from rain, sleet and snow etc. Its just a nice experience as when the facilities get 'tired' then what happens ? A new stadium is built !

At the end of the day, as long as the relocation isn't major and the team name doesn't change then who cares !

NMH

are u Mike Bawden?? a good majority of current fans would NOT go if Swindon relocated to Chippenham ... its a simple as that .. id rather start AFC Swindon if that happened

I think NMH wants them to relocate to the other side of the pond.

'Soccer' is so highly regarded in the States and steeped with history and tradition that he may have a point though.
flammableBen

« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 21:45:05 »

Quote from: "redbullzeye"
I can't believe people have got so little to do (on either side) than sit there and try and rig an Adver poll.  It's pretty clear that the consortuim have the majority so hopefully that will translate into action

I voted about 10 times, then realised it was a bit silly so voted 9 times for no and unsure. Messes up the percentages a bit though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: