Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sturrocks going to regret not signing a striker  (Read 7013 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 13:11:55 »

Sturrock's said time and again he likes his 'steady eddies' - thats exactly what Roberts is not - he'll sparkle one day and you won't see im the next - and the mnore of those you have the more volatile you are, and we need consistency. He'll be fringe next year, won't like it and move to Cheltenham. Shame, because he can be exciting on his day.

As for lumping it from the back - I half blame the midfield - watch a top-flight game and you'll always have someone dropping off and offering the option to the centre backs - Pook, Timlin, weston....whoevers in there has to be doing this all the time - only then can we get it wide and whip it in.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #46 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 13:15:17 »

If the team had good balance all over the pitch - and by this I mean positioning wise, Roberts would prove to be a massive asset to us.

But because we're always a but flat Roberts gets isolated. I think his confidence is a bit shot recently.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 18:47:32 »

I blame Andy King for not signing Freddie Eastwood.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 21:31:09 »

nah, his caravan wouldn't have fitted in round here Tongue

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, February 4, 2007, 22:03:29 »

Quote from: "StefPol"
Quote from: "DV85"
Quote from: "StefPol"
Quote from: "DV85"
Quote from: "STFC Bart"
I agree. I feel if we had a prolific striker we would have this league won by now

a 'prolific' striker wont score goals unless we create chances, we didnt create any today thats why we lost

The problem is midfield not the strikers...

In many games this season we've created loads of chances, yet our strikers havent been burying them in the back of the net.

Looking at the Swindon website, Roberts has scored 8 goals in the league this season.  I reckon Leon Knight (who scored his first goal today), will probaly manage to outscore Roberts by the end of the season.

In which games have we created 'loads' of chances?

Maccesfield last week, Rochdale at home, Stockport at home, Palace away, Brentford at home, Accrington away ...................
We beat Macclesfield 2-0 - what's the problem there?!

At Palace we did not create loads of chances...that was the problem!! We put them under constant pressure without really getting the ball into dangerous positions. When we did, Roberts missed one of note, Peacock had a half chance and Smith missed the sitter from that corner. Just because we played well it doesn't mean we created chances!
red macca

« Reply #50 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 09:25:53 »

Some stupid cunts around really.second in the league and all od a sudden our striker is shit the midfield is crap  fuck knows how we will survive :-))(

DV Have a look on this site www.imallwaysright.com
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 13:07:44 »

there are a lot of comments flying about here after a home defeat which we're all pissed off about so I thought I may as well join!
Most of Roberts' play is done outside the box so he will never get the goals that we all want from him. If you watch him when he drops deeper to get the ball he'll pretty much always end up going sideways i.e. picking it up on the left from Zab and then feeding it out to Shakes or vice versa. What aggravates me, is that he then doesn't show the desire (or the so-called pace that people talk about??) to attack the box and get himself into a scoring position.Luggy likes crosses coming in and they have been a lot better (especially Shakes), but no-one ever gambles near-post which at this level, is where most of our crosses end up. I do believe that Sturrock knows what he is doing, but for me, on Saturday his substitutions were bizarre, which yes, did include keeping roberts on the pitch. The boy Blair has defo got something about him and looks to get in behind the oppos defence which is something none of our other forwards have. Weston & Blair for Pook and Roberts @ Rochdale. On another note, I reckon Ifil has been working on his distribution as only 50% of his knocks forward are now finding row Z Shocked....but at least he plays to his strengths.
fatbury

« Reply #52 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 13:17:24 »

For me we are lacking a fox in the box who can bang in 20 plus goals a season .. wouldve made the difference in a tight game .. such as Super Sammy in the past - until we get such a player the games are always going to be on a knife edge - chances are being created but not taken .. that leads to extra pressure on the defence .. thats my case for a new forward - I suggest a top loanee from a top premiership club is needed perhaps
mattboyslim

« Reply #53 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 13:18:14 »

Agree jimbob.  Blair especially suggested he's more than capable of getting goals at this level, although I'd be interested in seeing the managerial decision on him if we gain promotion.  People become frustrated with Roberts when he over complicates, he's like the best kid in the school playground -  taking the ball on and crossing left footed when Jack Smith was the simple ball, he sometimes doesn't pass when its the best option. I think Roberts perhaps needs to be dropped for a game or two - in the play off season we left out SSP or Mooney occasionally (IIRC) when Fallon was looking dangerous, I feel perhaps that one or two matches out to make him hungary again and give Lukas of Blair a game, wouldn't do any harm.

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 13:54:13 »

the current squad have got us to 2nd in the league.there isn't alot wrong with it imo.maybe a little tweaking possibly but nothing drastic is needed
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 18:39:19 »

To be fair I don't think we should bother going anymore.

It's all downhill from here.

On and DV, how about Nicholas hitting the post or Roberts clean through on goal? Do they count as chances?
DMR

« Reply #56 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 18:40:56 »

The Roberts one was a fucking sitter Tails and he blew it in an utterley pathetic, so if that's me being overly critical of our strikers then I apologise.
DMR

« Reply #57 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 18:40:56 »

The Roberts one was a fucking sitter Tails and he blew it in an utterley pathetic manner, so if that's me being overly critical of our strikers then I apologise.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 18:44:44 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
The Roberts one was a fucking sitter Tails and he blew it in an utterley pathetic, so if that's me being overly critical of our strikers then I apologise.

Oh no, I agree with you.

DV said we had no chances which was a lie we had a few, those two being the ones that stick out. Apart from that it's hardly the end of the world, we've had these strikers all season and we're still second.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, February 5, 2007, 18:47:33 »

Quote from: "Tails"
To be fair I don't think we should bother going anymore.

It's all downhill from here.

On and DV, how about Nicholas hitting the post or Roberts clean through on goal? Do they count as chances?

Nicholas one was a shot from far out, so something out of nothing almost...

Roberts was a chance, ONE chance....and he didnt even shoot. Other than that nothing.

1 chance and 1 half chance a game isnt enough is it.

Saturday was the worst our midfield has played in a long long time
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: