Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smoke Free Swindon  (Read 6805 times)
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 09:01:18 »

GRRRRRRRR! Smoking is what gets me through games to be honest  Sad
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 09:15:02 »

Personally I only smoke in the concourse (ie not in the stand during the game as I would feel I was being inconsiderate) and wouldn't be that fussed if I couldn't but there's a lot of people who will be really p'ed off by this - many will see it as yet another PC/Health Nazis attack on the pleasures of the ordinary working man, and it will just wind them up. I don't see this bringing one single new fan in, but alienating (or adding to the reasons not to go) a lot of existing fans, so for that reason alone, it just strikes me as damn stupid. I'd have thought the club would be wanting to avoid doing anything which could be harmful to gates, particularly in a season in which we're repeatedly told there's this massive overspend.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 09:18:21 »

Keep the cigarette away from the match - as they say at Fir Park.

Personally, as a non smoker, I have no problem with smokers having a puff in designated areas but don't enjoy sitting next to chain smokers for 90 minutes a week.  Although sometimes I do consider starting when watching STFC.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 10:37:10 »

Quote from: "pauld"
Personally I only smoke in the concourse (ie not in the stand during the game as I would feel I was being inconsiderate) and wouldn't be that fussed if I couldn't but there's a lot of people who will be really p'ed off by this - many will see it as yet another PC/Health Nazis attack on the pleasures of the ordinary working man, and it will just wind them up. I don't see this bringing one single new fan in, but alienating (or adding to the reasons not to go) a lot of existing fans, so for that reason alone, it just strikes me as damn stupid. I'd have thought the club would be wanting to avoid doing anything which could be harmful to gates, particularly in a season in which we're repeatedly told there's this massive overspend.

i see where you are coming from and think maybe there should be an area for people to smoke.but anybody using the excuse that they will not go to football because they cannot smoke there is rather silly.its banned virtually everywhere else already so people will adjust to it.
sonic youth

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 10:46:34 »

paul's got a point, this will alienate some fans - especially if you can't smoke anywhere in the ground.

if i could smoke at half-time in the concourse, or even down the front of the stand in the open air, i wouldn't be too bothered.

smoking "zones" would be the way to go though to allow people the choice to smoke during the game. that way non-smokers and smokers alike can keep away from each other.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 10:48:17 »

On the plus side if you get given a smoking pass to go outside its all off to the CGH Cool I really want to give up if im honest.

/
W56196272
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 10:51:51 »

I have tried and failed  Sad

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:00:23 »

bird and yeovil.if you want to quit bad enough you can do it.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:00:53 »

oh fuck off

/
W56196272

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:02:00 »

just offering some advice. you said you want to give up
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:02:16 »

Quote from: "arriba"

i see where you are coming from and think maybe there should be an area for people to smoke.but anybody using the excuse that they will not go to football because they cannot smoke there is rather silly.

Absolutely and I don't think anyone would stop going solely because of that, any more than people have stopped going over the past few years because of just one alone of the myriad reasons (poor football, high prices, King etc), but it's all about tipping points - the thing that finally makes you say "Sod it, I've had enough" - and we need to be doing everything we can to encourage people to stay and encourage the stay-aways to come back, not drive them away. I understand the reasons why people would welcome a ban and sympathise with it to a great extent but for me the overriding concern has to be to capitalise on Sturrock's appointment and ride the wave of hope this has brought to do everything we can to get old fans back and keep the ones we've got. So anything that might deter people from going, make them feel unwanted, alienated, pushed out, whatever, this is just the wrong time to do it as much as anything else. Why not wait till the smoking ban comes in in the summer, then introduce this next season? Why run the risk of alienating people now? Seems like every time we get a positive for people coming back, they find another thing to put them off  :evil:
Rich Pullen

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:05:07 »

I don't smoke but have no problems with folk smoking at games. It's not as bad as it was before. My only memory of my first Swindon game in 1990 was the smell of cigarettes/cigars in the Arkells.

Smoking designated zones are definately the way to go here. Smokers will have heart attacks otherwise!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:05:34 »

i see where you are coming from and think maybe there should be an area for people to smoke.but anybody using the excuse that they will not go to football because they cannot smoke there is rather silly.

Absolutely and I don't think anyone would stop going solely because of that, any more than people have stopped going over the past few years because of just one alone of the myriad reasons (poor football, high prices, King etc), but it's all about tipping points - the thing that finally makes you say "Sod it, I've had enough" - and we need to be doing everything we can to encourage people to stay and encourage the stay-aways to come back, not drive them away. I understand the reasons why people would welcome a ban and sympathise with it to a great extent but for me the overriding concern has to be to capitalise on Sturrock's appointment and ride the wave of hope this has brought to do everything we can to get old fans back and keep the ones we've got. So anything that might deter people from going, make them feel unwanted, alienated, pushed out, whatever, this is just the wrong time to do it as much as anything else. Why not wait till the smoking ban comes in in the summer, then introduce this next season? Why run the risk of alienating people now? Seems like every time we get a positive for people coming back, they find another thing to put them off  :evil:

i have to say the timing is a bit soon and it should be from the start of next season,when we will be in league 1 Wink
it is unfair on season ticket holders who smoke to change mid season.
i see both points.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:11:10 »

with fabulous advice like "if you really want to give up its easy" you should think about writing a book. Alan Carr made millions with his stop smoking books surely you could as well.You are the worst kind of ex smoker keep your advice to yourself thanks.

/
W56196272
Piemonte

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 11:22:50 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"

with fabulous advice like "if you really want to give up its easy" you should think about writing a book. Alan Carr made millions with his stop smoking books surely you could as well.You are the worst kind of ex smoker keep your advice to yourself thanks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: