Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "World Trade Center" - Hollywood eh?  (Read 2256 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 22:23:41 »

Just seen various advertisements for this film.

It angers me, but then most things do, what do you think right or wrong?

Where is the money going? Why did they make it? Is it tasteless?

I think to have made a movie out of this is wrong. I feel it's tasteless and unnecessary. I don't wish to offend anyone, but we all know what happened and i can't help but feel there is fuck all need for a dramatisation to made on the subject where vast sums of money will change hands (I expect).

After all the outrage of people selling pictures and video on eBay, i find it funny that making a major motion picture is acceptable.

I know there's a difference, but it's pretty small. I'm sure many families will be proud, and many not. I also feel sure that many feel such an event should be "documented" in this way and others fiind the whole hollywoodisation of such an event vulgar.

I will not watch it ever. Opinions anyone?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 22:25:46 »

is any of the money going to the people affected by it....

Were the people affected by it given any input into whether or not it should be made.

If this film has been made purely for money reasons, I find it quite disgusting
flammableBen

« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 01:42:36 »

I'm a cynical bastard but the film does seem to come at a time where the american goverement are struggling to keep up public opinion on their "war on terror".

From the trailers I've seen (both the one on british tv and the completely different us based one I just watche on the internet) it comes across as loved up propaganda to a level comparable to the presidence speach in independece day.

Cheesy 'Go America!' films only help goverments that have to rely on emotional support instead of intelligent support. I suppose I have to concede that it's also a good way of making a film. But then as other people have asked, where is the money going? I'd be suprised if the answer was to families of dead iraqi civilians.

I hope that all makes sense, I may have had a drink.
faringdingdong

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 01:45:44 »

Typical that 'hollywood' makes a film about something happening on their doorstep.

Still waiting for that Tsunami blockbuster to come out then?

They couldn't even spell it.

We wanna go somewhere else. We're not threatened by people anymore. All our insecurities have evaporated. We're in the clouds now. We're wide open. We're spacemen orbiting the earth. The world looks beautiful from here, man.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 06:24:58 »

Can't wait to see this one, should be ace, special effects will be brilliant.

Apparently because New York's so busy they had to rebuild Manhatten in the middle of Arizona, they then had to fly to radio controlled boeing 747's into the replica twin towers.

Like I say, should be ace.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 07:48:41 »

I'm going to see it tonight  Cheesy
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 07:56:17 »

Quote from: "janaage"
Can't wait to see this one, should be ace, special effects will be brilliant.

Apparently because New York's so busy they had to rebuild Manhatten in the middle of Arizona, they then had to fly to radio controlled boeing 747's into the replica twin towers.

Like I say, should be ace.

Ace? Not really.

As to the money, they donated some pathetic amount in opening week - like 10% or something - but the rest is going into the film studio's coffers.

If you ask me, it's a dreadful attempt at trying to show they weren't to blame for what happened ...
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 08:20:25 »

You're right Chris, it's not going to be ace, I apologise.

I feel it is disgusting that Hollywood over the years has felt it necessary to makes films about people's death.  They have been making far too much money at the expense of others.  Why should we put up with outrageous films such as "Titanic" where 1,000 people died, Braveheart, where numerous British subjects were slaughtered, countless Gallipoli where thousands upon thousands of Australians were sent to their death, countless second world war films, many made in the 1950's, where millions of people worldwide were killed in battle.

I also find it shocking that Hollywood are 100% telling the truth in these films, was William Wallace really australian, did the Rose really fall for a commoner on board the unsinkable ship?

Surely Hollywood should be sending 95% of their profits to the surviving families of these poor innocent people, and sticking 100% to the truth, no matter how boring it gets, either that or could they please make another 150 Harry Potter films.  

Many Thanks
kaufman

« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 08:55:40 »

in some ways janaage is right in that they have been doing this for years

braveheart
schindler's list
titanic
countless vietnam films
hotel rwanda
private ryan

but the difference with this film is everyone watched this event unfold live on tv before their eyes and i dont really see the point of making this.

i find it a bit sick thinking the special effects team on the film spent hours upon hours trying to get special effects right of people dying (falling from the towers, being crushed e.t.c and they were probably using real footage as reference.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:22:21 »

If you don't like the idea of it just don't go, it's pretty simple really.  Then it'll be a massive flop and hollywood will get the picture.
kaufman

« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:55:04 »

Quote from: "janaage"
If you don't like the idea of it just don't go, it's pretty simple really.  Then it'll be a massive flop and hollywood will get the picture.

yep, agreed  Wink
McLovin

« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 10:16:00 »

I won't watch it, because it doesn't really interest me. I have no problem with it being made though. It's not a new concept to make a film based on real life tragedy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: