Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any town fans up north?  (Read 2267 times)
denniswisesbarmyarmy

« on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 22:52:29 »

Hey,

I was just wondering if there are any town fans living up north in areas such as birmingham, liverpool, dervy, yorkshire, manxhester etc?

Would be good to talk to fellow town fans up north if there are any which i am sure there are.

Went to the game today, we played quite well but should have won, however i will settle for the draw.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 23:08:43 »

theres Northen Red, Manc Red and theres others too just cant be bothered to list them. where you from then WisesBarmyArmy?
Northern Red

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 23:40:26 »

Birmingham - North? That's not north! It's called the Midlands for a reason  Wink

A definite problem in defining the boundary between the North and South is the tendency of those living in the far South to include too much of the country in their definition of the North, while those from the far North invariably include too much of the country in their definition of the South. In particular there is much confusion over the status of central parts of England, for example a county such as Derbyshire would almost certainly be considered Northern by a Londoner, while someone from Newcastle Upon Tyne may consider it Southern.

Interesting subject - Where is the North-South Dividing line?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-South_divide_in_the_United_Kingdom

(Well not that interesting but it's better than most of the twaddle on here  Tongue )
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 23:42:06 »

i consider anything north of Birmingham North
Northern Red

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 23:44:05 »

Anyhoo back to the point.
My Northern adventure has taken me from Lancaster to Leeds, and I'm currently in Carlisle pondering the next move. (Interview in Preston on Thursday)
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 23:44:38 »

cool! what's Carlisle like?
Northern Red

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 23:48:56 »

I'm biased as the wife's from here. (and she's veto-ing my nasty comments about the place...)

Not bad for football - I went to Carlisle vs Brighton today - Brighton are fairly gash these days, which made me so happy  
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 00:17:20 »

Quote from: "Rich"
i consider anything north of Birmingham North

anything north of membury is north

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 09:24:00 »

Quote from: "Northern Red"
Birmingham - North? That's not north! It's called the Midlands for a reason  Wink

A definite problem in defining the boundary between the North and South is the tendency of those living in the far South to include too much of the country in their definition of the North, while those from the far North invariably include too much of the country in their definition of the South. In particular there is much confusion over the status of central parts of England, for example a county such as Derbyshire would almost certainly be considered Northern by a Londoner, while someone from Newcastle Upon Tyne may consider it Southern.

Interesting subject - Where is the North-South Dividing line?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-South_divide_in_the_United_Kingdom

(Well not that interesting but it's better than most of the twaddle on here  Tongue )

Um up north for me is anywhere substantially north of Swindon, because funnily enough I have to head up north to get there. Birmingham is in the midlands, however it's far enough for me to call it 'up north'.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 12:26:24 »

For me the north begins on a line roughly running  E/W through Nottingham to Stoke ...but its not a fixed boundary, but rather a general indicator...couple of weeks ago I was walking NE of Derby,  in a nondescript area roughly between Ilkeston Heanor and Belper....this would be south of the line, but in terms of poverty, grime and the general slack jawed mien of the grizzled locals.....would definitely qualify as the north.
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 13:08:35 »

I am at uni in Manchester, please dont try to groom me
cib

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 15:02:13 »

Ditto Manc red, that includes trying to groom me
santini

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 15:58:22 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
For me the north begins on a line roughly running  E/W through Nottingham to Stoke ...but its not a fixed boundary, but rather a general indicator...couple of weeks ago I was walking NE of Derby,  in a nondescript area roughly between Ilkeston Heanor and Belper....this would be south of the line, but in terms of poverty, grime and the general slack jawed mien of the grizzled locals.....would definitely qualify as the north.
Check your map Reg. Ilkeston is level with Nottingham and both Belper and Heanor are North of Ilkeston so ... "this would be north of the line".

Try calling it East Midlands. Everybody else does Cool
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 17:55:20 »

Quote from: "santini"
Check your map Reg. Ilkeston is level with Nottingham and both Belper and Heanor are North of Ilkeston so ... "this would be north of the line".

Try calling it East Midlands. Everybody else does Cool

My use of the term roughly, was just to provide some sort of guide as to the whereabouts of the walk.....at no time did it  go further north than than the northern most point of Ilkeston and as such was never north of Nottingham, which I woulsd happily call the east Midlands, although Eastwood of Clint and Freddie fame I would certainly classify as the north, and would consider DH Lawrence to have been a norvern writer.
santini

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 20:59:08 »

My use of the term roughly, was just to provide some sort of guide as to the whereabouts of the walk.....at no time did it  go further north than than the northern most point of Ilkeston
Making the comment re proximity to Belper and Heanor redundant - not like you to be so imprecise Reg.

"Just west of Ilkeston" would have saved your reputation!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: