Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "we're going up as fucking champions"  (Read 11439 times)
DMR

« on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 13:24:36 »

please don't sing this for 3 reasons;

1. it's too early for that
2. it makes us sound so fucking arrogant, i bet it merely adds more incentive to beat us
3. and my main point, it's possibly the lamest super-gay chant ever
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 13:30:10 »

as is the we are invincible and 1-0 to the champions...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 13:31:26 »

Agreed. Stick to the facts!

We are top of the league and the like.

And preferably only when we are doing well, its so easy to take the piss out of a team high up who have been bigging themselves up and then go behind in a game
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 15:16:39 »

Does this mean the long used song at all clubs "By far the greatest team.." is now redundant apart from use at Camp Nou?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 15:19:14 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Does this mean the long used song at all clubs "By far the greatest team.." is now redundant apart from use at Camp Nou?
No...but people don't take that seriously so it is fine. We're going up as fucking champions is blind optimism and making yourself seem a bit up your own backside unless it is actually true
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 15:22:17 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
Quote from: "RobertT"
No...but people don't take that seriously so it is fine. We're going up as fucking champions is blind optimism and making yourself seem a bit up your own backside unless it is actually true

I seem to remember it being sung from about October in 95/96, and we did.

So what if other fans think we are arrogant during a game.  As a bunch of fans we are fairly realistic away from the ground with many people suggesting we were not playing superbly so far, or even expecting us to run away with things.

Inside the gorund, we can be as annoying as we like.

The only chant I would ever like to see people decapitated for signing is EASY, which has no place in football.  Dry wit (either comning across as arrogant when winning, or suicidal laughing when doing badly!) has it's place.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 15:24:31 »

it doesnt help that the L&P lot Wink  cant even hold a tune....and sing everything too fast...and every chant dies after about 30 seconds.

Our away support was much better pre-L&P all their fault!!!!
my-velocity

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 17:03:21 »

Finally someone agrees with me.
mr ian

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 17:15:30 »

i ll tell you a chant that is shit

"ince is the guv-vun-nor
 ince is the guv-vun-nor
 ince is.............
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 20:14:16 »

Quote from: "DV85"
it doesnt help that the L&P lot Wink  cant even hold a tune....and sing everything too fast...and every chant dies after about 30 seconds.

Our away support was much better pre-L&P all their fault!!!!

says a L&P Lovely Cool
flammableBen

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 22:46:01 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
please don't sing this for 3 reasons;

1. it's too early for that
2. it makes us sound so fucking arrogant, i bet it merely adds more incentive to beat us
3. and my main point, it's possibly the lamest super-gay chant ever

What a load of bollocks, arrogant chants are part of football. The joy of chants like that is that they can also be ironic. Maybe we won't go up as champions but that's not the point. We should still sing it. Not sure I've got my point across to well here.

Football chants don't have to be literal. Infact if all football chants were literal it would be a pretty bad.

"We're top and winning another game but we'd be happy with a playoff finish!" sounds shit. Mainly because it is.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 00:03:57 »

I've always been half-inclined to think that more realistic songs might have a certain amusement value:

"By far the greatest team that Wiltshire's ever seen .... although Chippenham have their moments, Salisbury had that good run in the cup a few seasons back, Devizes are capable of surprises .... " etc

Or, for the town's increasingly large "non-indigenous but will turn out to support local team because I like watching football" population:

"I'm Swindon till I move, Swindon till I move....."

Come on, dmr, if you wanted all chants to be realistic, everyone outside the top flight would be singing "We're shit and we know we are". A bit of winding up the opposition and doing the "cock of the walk" bit is what makes football fun - because Christ alone knows at this level, the football rarely does  Cheesy
Doore

« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 13:47:26 »

Quote from: "mr ian"

"ince is the guv-vun-nor
 ince is the guv-vun-nor
 ince is.............

worst chant ever is that 'loyal supporters' rubbish.  Its completely self-aggrandising, its like standing up and singing I'm great over and over again.
Northern Red

« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 13:51:24 »

Quote from: "Doore"
Quote from: "mr ian"

"ince is the guv-vun-nor
 ince is the guv-vun-nor
 ince is.............

worst chant ever is that 'loyal supporters' rubbish.  Its completely self-aggrandising, its like standing up and singing I'm great over and over again.

Especially when its sung by the 2000 fans who've crawled out of the woodwork now we're top....
McLovin

« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 13:53:25 »

Football songs, regardless of quality lyrics, are sung way too fast at Town games. It's not a race...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: