Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reg are you old enough to have seen Don Rogers play?  (Read 5494 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 20:49:18 »

Im just reading his biography and some of the paper write ups make him seem like the only man on the pitch .

How special was he?

In terms of todays players prices what would he be worth ?

/
W56196272
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 21:15:35 »

probably 30 million knowing are luck!
Dazzza

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 21:16:50 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"

In terms of todays players prices what would he be worth ?

I'd love to know that.

I'm only stabbing about in the dark but any advance on £8 million?

Doesn't sound much in terms of the Premiership but how for a player coming out of the lower leagues it's a kings ransome.

Rossi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 21:18:09 »

I saw him in the Legends of 69 video.  He looked like the best player on the park

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 21:19:56 »

When we sold him for 150K, the British record was 220K the previous season for Alan Ball......he then scored goals in the top flight for Palace.

In todays terms its difficult to compare, because he was unusual,  being a wide player who scored goals, either by shooting from long range, or the trade mark goal of getting in behind a defence through pace, or dribbling past players to get one on one with a keeper for a finish, although playing on the left he was right footed but the left was good as well.

Liverpool on several occasions tried to sign him, but the club held the contracts so they just refused.....he wasn't the sort of fella to make a fuss about it.

Accepting that its a different game today, more shirt pulling, cynical fouling etc if we had such a phenomenal player again today.....he would definitely be in 10 million bracket......

The nearest kind of player of recent times that I can use as a comparison is Danny Invincibile, although Danny obviously was nowhere near as good, he scored a few Don goals, Invincibiles performance v Wigan reminded me a lot of Don in the way, on that afternoon he single handedly destroyed a top lower league outfit by running at them and shooting from range.  Pub. :beers
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 21:35:24 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

Accepting that its a different game today, more shirt pulling, cynical fouling etc if we had such a phenomenal player again today.....he would definitely be in 10 million bracket......

Judging from the book there was plenty of cynical fouling going on,it seems everyone went out to kick the winger is hard as they could.This might explain why Don seems unable to remember a most of his career.

At one time there were 13 top class clubs after him .

/
W56196272
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 22:12:54 »

My Dad saw him play throughout his career and I think the best way he found to sum Don up was that his kit would always be as clean at the end of the match as it was at the start.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 22:24:52 »

I bought a footy shirt from his shop ages ago. Is that still there?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Rossi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 22:26:24 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
My Dad saw him play throughout his career and I think the best way he found to sum Don up was that his kit would always be as clean at the end of the match as it was at the start.

Exactly what my old man said

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 22:26:25 »

yep, went in there over Christmas to get his book for my Dad. He was there :]
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 23:56:39 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

Judging from the book there was plenty of cynical fouling going on,it seems everyone went out to kick the winger is hard as they could.This might explain why Don seems unable to remember a most of his career.

At one time there were 13 top class clubs after him .

There were definitely players who's remit was to kick people...I've had a conversation with the  scummer Shuker (pub landlord by then), who admitted that the scum's manager Gerry Summers, later Gillingham boss, encouraged him to dump the Don....but oddly this kind of full on approach could be avoided by well timed hurdling and acceleration, whereas todays more poofy shirt pulling and flailing arm technique can be effective in troubling an opponent....which is why the Italians have been doing it for years.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 11, 2005, 09:07:58 »

Didn't any of you go to his book launch thing at the county ground?  It was a really good night.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 11, 2005, 16:22:17 »

ive met hoim a few times in his shop, and asked him about the league cup final... asked him after if he gets annoyed about being asked and he said ' no, i bet loads of people would have loved to do what i did'  Soapy Tit Wank
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 11, 2005, 16:23:58 »

I bet you didn't embarass yourself like I did when I met super sammy parkin  Oops
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 11, 2005, 16:35:59 »

Quote from: "STFCBird"
I bet you didn't embarass yourself like I did when I met super sammy parkin  Oops

What did you do then???

y wings are like a shield of steel!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: