Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shaun Goater  (Read 4146 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 11:56:37 »

Shaun Goater has played 49 times for Reading, and due a clause in his transfer from Man City, Reading will owe City 50K when he plays his next game.  For this reason, Reading have told him he is surplus to requirements and almost certainly will not play him again.

35 at the end of this month, I believe he'd be a great aquisition and provide a good contrast to Parkin.  He would also be a player for Parkin to look up to, as he is currently the most senior striker on the playing staff, which is saying something when he is just 23 years of age.

Goater is a lethal finisher, and would probably cost next to nothing seeing as he is surplus to requirements at Reading.  Wages could be an issue, but the lad just wants to play, and I think he would easily displace Fallon and Slabber from the first team.  However, Goater's arrival would make 3 up front a geniune possibility, and increase competition and pressure on Fallon and Slabber to get the goals.  Fallon's criminal miss at the end of the game yesterday demonstrates to me that there is still not the competition at the sharp end of things, where we have struggled this season in comparison to last.

I believed Goater was on his way when we first heard the rumours about Mooney, but instead we got the bald brummie, and whatever you say about him he was a great acquisition for the club.  King - don't miss out on the Goat!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 12:30:55 »

Have you forgotten about Roberts?
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 12:33:34 »

brummie? he's from middlesborough.
saying that though goater would be a good acquisition, maybe a loan. king would probably look into it if he really did want to get rid of fallon, but i dont think he does

officially blacker than the night.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 12:58:53 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
Have you forgotten about Roberts?

ahaha shit yes I had.  I've only seen him play once in fairness, so he's not especially memorable!!!  I didn't get to bed till 2.30am last night so be fair.  Even so, Goater would be a nice addition, particularly as King seems hell bent on playing players out of position - Roberts on the wing, Igoe on the wing, Howard in the middle etc.

Loan deal would be good Decks, but don't see the point - Reading don't want him.  They would probably be more keen for a permanent deal - we cud get him on contract till end of this season.  If we're serious about playoff push we need a striker back before Roberts will be fully fit.

He used to play for Birmingham and it starts with B, so I call him the bald Brummie.  I think he's from near Darlington actually - the club he supports according to FM and where my mum is from, about 15 miles from Middlesborough.   Wink
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 13:04:48 »

he was born in boro. he told me himself

officially blacker than the night.
Spencer_White

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 14:52:07 »

Goater is on 9 grand a week at Reading and every Reading fan I have spoken to says that he is crap and well over the hill.

Mooney was on less than 2 grand a week here.

He's got no motivation to play for Reading in the 2nd, so why would you think he is interested in the 3rd?

Not going to happen (phew!).
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 16:08:09 »

His motivation would be that he would be a big fish in a small pond, a bit like Mooney at Oxford.

Having said that we can't afford to pay ANY more wages, let alone whatever he would want.
Dazzza

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 16:50:28 »

I think he's got maybe a season, season and a half in him at this level.  

Unfortunately he's going to cost vast amounts in wages and I would think he may well rather bow out at the end of the season and carry on with his "Charidy" work than play lower down the leagues.

A much better alternative would be Patrick Suffo.

Only 27 and just been released by Coventry.  He and Sam Parkin up front would scare the living shit out of any defence.  He's got a fairly good goal tally in the Championship and just the sort of player that I could see flourishing at this level.

Plenty of power and height he’s built for this league and is more than capable of grabbing 15-20 goals in a good season.  Plus when was the last time we boasted a World Cup “star”?

Of course comes down to wages and if he would be prepared to take the drop.  I don’t think we have any transfer resources what so ever anyway so it’s all a bit pie in the sky but it’s nice to have a ramble and dream.

Elsterap

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 22:02:39 »

I really dont think we need a attacker right now.  I would prefer a midfeilder or defender.
What about Danny Coles of Bristol City, just been put on the transfer list.  He isn't going because he's crap either, he's just unhappy there.  He would be a good replacement for Ifil (overrated) and it would put pressure on our defence to fight for their places.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 6, 2005, 22:11:27 »

Goater and Suffo are pipe dreams, but Danny Coles is way out of our league.  He is unhappy due to Bristol underachieving - we're currently behind Bristol, albeit on goal difference.  Doubt Bristol would be willing to let him come here, its not a Roberts situation in that Bristol want to keep the player.

Suffo would be a brilliant signing but he is most definitely going to go to a bigger club than one in Div 2, unless it's Wendy's.

Mooney was on 10K before he came here was he not?  So Goater on 9K may not be such an obstical....  At his stage in his career, he may be more interested in first team football.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 7, 2005, 07:38:51 »

he would be a good catch, but i don't think the club will want to pay another contract this season.
Piemonte

« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 7, 2005, 16:52:22 »

city turned down £500k from cardiff in the summer for Coles.

he aint gonna be signing for us.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 7, 2005, 16:59:07 »

What about if we bid £1m?    Wink
Elsterap

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 7, 2005, 19:13:40 »

Quote from: "Piemonte2"
city turned down £500k from cardiff in the summer for Coles.

he aint gonna be signing for us.

Bet they dont get that now they've put him on the transfer list.
Spencer_White

« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 7, 2005, 19:19:14 »

Quote from: "janaage77"
What about if we bid £1m?    Wink

That would be good, to just go out with a bang. We know we will go bust, so lets put in a £65 million bid for Ronaldo just for a laugh.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: