Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Player Motivation  (Read 2072 times)
BigStan

« on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 17:59:29 »

I don't think Reevesy did himself any credit by saying this week that players don't take money worries onto the pitch with them.

I would rather he was brutally honest and say that finding out, yet again, that they weren't going to be paid on pay day was a hell of a de-motivating thing to happen to the players.

During King's tenure as manager delays in paying the players has become almost endemic. A cheque instead of an electronic transfer direct into the player's accounts is a quite common way for the club to gain a few days breathing space with its cash flow.

Cheques made out of rubber probably aren't totally unknown.

Whilst the players are, by most people's standards not badly paid at all, they all have the same sort of regular financial committments that the rest of us have.

I've been in situations myself where I've been asked if I can help my employer out by waiting a while for my salary ("Just this once, you know") and I can assure you that happy was not a word I'd use to describe my mood.

If it had become a regular thing I'd have looked elsewhere for work.

That's easier said than done for a League One footballer.

I'm sure that a lot of fans would say thay the players should just grin and bear it. Well I've got news for them. No matter how much money players are on, no matter how easy a life they have, not getting paid won't encourage them to go out and die for the cause.
Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 18:40:04 »

Got to agree if its £800 or £4000 a month not knowing how or when you’re going to get paid is going to eventually affect anyone’s desire to do their job.

Being a man of little responsibility at present being paid a day here or a day there really doesn't matter but if it became a regular event each month I’d become hacked of pretty damn quickly.

Those with mortgages, rent and the like must seriously wonder.

It’s hard to compare footballers to wage slaves like the rest of us.  For the best part they’re doing something they enjoy and getting paid for it and getting respect, admiration and a degree of fame for doing it.  Apart from my local milkman there is not many other jobs that can offer all of those things.

I’d like to think that any player worth their salt is going to give 100% come Saturday in a Town shirt or otherwise but in reality it doesn’t happen.  With the poor run of late, King and Robbo both appearing to let slip that things are not rosy in the dressing room , not getting paid is just the sort of thing that will make the players question themselves and their commitment.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 19:32:18 »

apparently though, they always get paid their wages within the month, it's just things like bonuses that are being paid late
jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 19:43:27 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"
apparently though, they always get paid their wages within the month, it's just things like bonuses that are being paid late

and the band played 'believe it if you like!'
BigStan

« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 22:02:49 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"

I take it that's based on Holt's words this week.

This'll be the same Holt who two seasons ago before the Brentford away game promised the players that they'd get cheques for their wages the day before the game.

When they didn't turn up he promised that he'd bring cheques to training on the morning of the Tuesday night game.

Not making an appearance at the training ground he left a message that he'd be travelling on the coach with the players to Brentford AND that he'd have cheques with him.

He actually made his own way to the ground, not surprisingly without the cheques.

Anybody standing outside the main entrance that night after the game would have seen King pinning Holt to the wall in the corridor outside the boardroom, having failed to get any answer about when the wages would be paid.

The players only got paid when King rang Mick McGuire of the PFA and got them to organise a loan. It had never occurred to Holt to do that.

On that particular occasion the club was one day away from ALL of the players having their contracts made void because of late payment. I believe the if the club is more than 10 days late making wage payments then the players can simply walk.

For Holt to come out with a statement about the basic always being paid within the month is interesting to say the least. Perhaps he meant that wages have always been paid within A month.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 22:08:41 »

that's a fair point and maybe that's why player morale is low. I see no reason for the players not to get paid now though, after being loaned the 750k
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: