Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A view to Stockpork....  (Read 1445 times)
Dazzza

« on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 19:26:02 »

Chris Turner takes his Stockport side to the County Ground Saturday hoping to wrap up the signing of Turner's regular number Colin West.

Since his appointment on the 17th of December Turner has had mixed success winning 2, drawing 2 and losing 3 of the games he has been in charge.  However the three defeats have come against the top 2 sides Luton, Hull and an unlucky 2-1 loss against a rejuvenated Brizzle.

Putting that into perspective prior to Turner’s appointment Stockport had lost 6 games on the bounce and managed just 5 goals in 9 games.  

Familiar face Mark Robertson may well figure for Stockport after impressing in a 1-1 midweek reserve game.  New loan signing powerful centre-half Joe Dolan from Milwall is likely to make his debut.

Last seasons corresponding fixture saw Stockport take all three points for 2nd successive year in a 2-1 victory with young 18 year old County keeper James Spencer keeping them in the game denying Tommy Mooney a hat full of chances.

Rather more worrying is that you have to go back to 1985 for the last Town victory at home against Stockport with Macari signing midfielder Peter Coyne grabbing the only goal in a 1-0 victory.

As for the Town side it’s anyone’s guess as to what formation and side King will send out.  Only the suspended Ifil and injured Roberts have been ruled out at this point so King has close to a full squad to choose from.

Personally I’m not holding my breath.  It’s make or break for both sides as we try and retain any lingering hopes of the playoffs while if Turner is to have any hope of keeping Stockport up they must  take all three points to avoid the gap between them and Peterborough opening up any further.

This has all of the hallmarks of a game we don’t normally perform well in.  A team fighting to stave off relegation always seems to bring out the worst in us.  Stockport will come out kicking and fighting with a strong emphasis on not conceding anything.

Despite the expectation that this is a game we should win, personally I’ll take a point, a structured formation and a familiar line up to build on for the future.

If we do concede first or go behind on Saturday I can’t see us coming back.  Confidence appears low throughout the team and the potential flare up from the fans is really going to hammer the player’s confidence even further.

Prediction wise as much as I hate to say it I can see a loss.

Swindon 1 – 2 Stockport
Bridge-Wilkinson 12
Daly 58
Slabber 84

Johno

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 19:28:38 »

Stockport have the chance to win their 2nd away game of the season. don't think they'll get a better opportunity and they will need to take it just as much as we need to win. so hopefully will be a good game where if we go behind once the crowd will jump straight on King.
so maybe swindon wil be up for it, but i doubt it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: