Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New investment - Bill Power - £1M  (Read 11468 times)
STFC Village

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:08:59 »

Can Power fit the Bill at Town?
27th April 2006

SO just who is Bill Power and why does he want to be part of Swindon Town’s future? In an exclusive interview, he tells JON RITSON that his hopes and dreams are firmly grounded in reality.

BILL Power’s only regret about joining Swindon Town is that he didn’t get involved sooner.

And far from barricading himself in the boardroom with the ‘suits’ and the prawn sandwiches, you’re more likely to find him nattering to fans over a pint and a pie in the pub.

Oh, and be warned. If you have a go at him on an internet message board, there’s every chance he’s already logged on and eager for a debate.

Nor is he depressed by the state of the club he is joining, he is positively brimming with excitement about the future.

The 52-year-old Londoner, born a stone’s throw from his beloved Queens Park Rangers, made his fortune in satellite communications, will be very much ‘hands on’ at the County Ground, especially as he’s planning to retire from business in the not-too-distant future.

And far from being depressed by the state of the club he is joining, he’s excited about the future for Swindon Town.

He said: “Why Swindon? Well, I’d kept in touch with Mark Devlin since our days together at QPR. He invited me down to Swindon, I talked to the people at the club and felt it was something I wanted to be part of.

“I knew Swindon needed help and felt I had something to contribute.

“I am a relatively wealthy man but this isn’t going to be a case of an endless pot of money being thrown at the situation.

“Budgets are in place for next season and I am hoping that the funding I put in will put us back on an even playing field.

“First and foremost though I am a fanatical football fan.

“I’m more at home in with the fans, shouting and screaming at the referee rather than sitting in a suit in the director’s box.

“I believe the relationship between a club and its fans is key.

I’m quite happy to meet with and talk to people, over a pint and cheese sandwich in the pub.

“Or it might be that it’s on the message boards.

“I’ve never been afraid to get stuck into those

“Fans want facts not innuendo and rumour and I’d like to think that 99.9 per cent of QPR fans would tell you that that’s what I was about.

“They might not always like the answers that you give them but I firmly believe that successful clubs, although there’s always the odd exception, have all got good relationships with their supporters.

“I am not afraid to tell the truth and what fans want is to know that the people running their club are pulling in the same direction.

“I’ve heard all the horror stories about the problems the club has had but let’s try and move forward now.”

Investment is all well and good but Power appreciates that what fans really want is success on the pitch.

It doesn’t suddenly mean that Iffy Onuora has millions to splash around on players but Power hopes he can be the difference between Town landing ‘realistic’ targets and missing out.

He said: “Let’s say that the manager has spotted the next Wayne Rooney and it will cost £100,000 to land him. Hopefully he would be landed.

“My only real regret is that I wasn’t able to get involved sooner to be honest.

“I suppose the message to the fans is to stick with us.

“This is a big club for League One, should the worst happen it would be an even bigger one in League Two, and we want to take it forward.”

Who is Bill Power?

Bill Power, 52, was born just over the road from his beloved Queens Park Rangers.

The son of Irish parents, he grew up on the White City estate which overlooked Loftus Road. Hence began his love affair with a Hoops side that featured the likes of Stan Bowles and Rodney Marsh.

He began his working life as an electrician before he and his business partner made their respective fortunes by setting up a satellite communications company. Among their clients are governmental departments from numerous countries.

While Bill’s business was booming, his club certainly wasn’t. He contacted QPR and made an initial investment of £200,000, eventually becoming both a shareholder and director.

Another shareholder was former Italian football agent Gianni Paladini.

The pair would eventually assume control at Loftus Road after toppling the previous board but their relationship turned sour with matters coming to a head in August 2005.

Power was ousted by Paladini at a board meeting, a meeting which also saw then chief executive Mark Devlin leave the club.

Cool
sonic youth

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:09:42 »

interesting to see his comments about interaction with fans. devlin's started using the forums and it seems likely that mr power will follow suit.

in fact, didn't devlin say that using message boards/forums at qpr was power's idea?
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:09:56 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Jesus H Christ, good news about STFC.  Does this make us wone of the richest clubs in League 2?

I feel the need to get even more drunk than originally planned on Saturday and start singing "We've got the Power".

a few changes to the barrell of money song may be required as well.

Are you He-Man?
Dorset Red

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:10:59 »

Quote from: "STFC Village"

Iffy to stay in charge?

Interesting question. Would it be worth seeing what Iffy can do when he actually has a tranfer budget?
If he can find players like Paul Smith, Hammuer Bouazza, Toumani Diagouraga and Lee Peacock when he has no money to spend, what could he do with a couple of hundred grand in the kitty?

Personally I think it's time for us to change Manager but I wouldn't necessarily think it was the end of the world if Iffy were to stay on.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:11:25 »

So we've got an Irish QPR fan on the board of Swindon Town now?  Couple that with a scottish jockey who supports some other club too!

Things are never straight forward at the CG are they?
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:20:18 »

bloody fantastic !  He sounds like he means business too. can't remember the last time i felt this optimistic !
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:22:13 »

Fuck me this is absolutely incredible.  The million pounds will secure our payment of the CVA. I feared next season may be our last.

Will the club finally have some direction now?
STFC Village

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:23:08 »

Quote from: "STFC Village"
He said: “Let’s say that the manager has spotted the next Wayne Rooney and it will cost £100,000 to land him. Hopefully he would be landed.
Shocked Fuck me, i just read my own post :shock:
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:24:04 »

Quote from: "STFCBird"
Jesus H Christ, good news about STFC.  Does this make us wone of the richest clubs in League 2?

I feel the need to get even more drunk than originally planned on Saturday and start singing "We've got the Power".

Are you He-Man?

No, that's I've got the Power.

We've got the Power was a line, maybe the title of a dance track many moons ago.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 09:47:36 »

Quote from: "STFCBird"

Are you He-Man?

No, that's I've got the Power.

We've got the Power was a line, maybe the title of a dance track many moons ago.

snap
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #40 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:19:15 »

What great news to wake up to! This is great in so many ways because it sounds as though money will be spent on players. We also now have a director with football experience which is something we have been lacking for a while. I think another important thing is it might show SBC that STFC is a going concern - they may be more inclined to help us out a bit more with regards to the stadium plans.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:22:50 »

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/qprlsa/vpost?id=1083612
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #42 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:25:43 »

Those comments are well good. I'm still waiting to wake up and this will be a dream.
Dazzza

« Reply #43 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:29:54 »

What fantastic news   Cool

Just what the doctor ordered in every sense of the word.  I don't think I've felt this optomistic about the Town in over three years.

Impressed with the QPR fans thoughts on him seems like a real gentleman.

TalkTalk

« Reply #44 on: Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:30:25 »

Looks like Iffy might be staying put.

WESTERN DAILY PRESS

TOWN SAY: THANKS A MILLION!

10:05 - 27 April 2006

Swindon Town will today announce the appointment of a new director who will pump £1million into the cash-strapped club - with the promise of more to follow. The news is an enormous and timely boost for Town, whose ex-manager Andy King yesterday revealed plans to take the club to a tribunal over unpaid wages.

However, new director Bill Power said he had already paid King off.

Former QPR chairman Power has been brought to Swindon by deputy chairman Mark Devlin, who was chief executive at Loftus Road alongside Power.

The 52-year-old is a multi-millionaire who made his fortune through satellite communications company Datasat. He will formally join the board on May 15. His money will be used to help keep the club afloat - it is currently losing between £500,000 and £1million a year - and buy new players.

Last night Power said: "I am not Roman Abramovich but I can afford to put in the sort of money that will make a difference at Swindon - and I am more than happy to do that.

"The initial investment is a million pounds but we want to push it on and improve everything for everybody." Power also threw his support behind rookie manager Iffy Onuora and said he wanted to work with supporters' groups.

"I like Iffy, he has lots of plans and I want to go along with those plans. I am looking forward to working with him, " he said.

King, Onuora's predecessor, was sacked in September but under the terms of his contract was entitled to a year's salary from that point. The Daily Press understands his salary was not far below £100,000.

King claimed he had not been paid since November and Devlin confirmed that was the case.

However, Power yesterday said he had paid King off, avoiding the costs of going to court.

"That problem has already been resolved, " he said. "Andy has actually been paid off now so hopefully that is that. I have helped myself there because we wanted to clear it up quickly." Swindon are likely to be relegated to League Two on Saturday and King told the Daily Press that, with that in mind, he did not wish to comment until Monday.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: