Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1 up front?? We're playing 3 up front.  (Read 3748 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:00:55 »

The words of Andy King.  Apparently we had Parkin, Holmes and Igoe up front from the start v Brentford.  So Parkin's not that lonely figure of a man standing up on his own.  

King really needs to consult someone on his tactics, because that's just a load of BS.

(Sorry if this has been posted already but I'm only a Mon-Fri 9-5 poster!!)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:23:11 »

Quote from: "janaage77"
The words of Andy King.  Apparently we had Parkin, Holmes and Igoe up front from the start v Brentford.  So Parkin's not that lonely figure of a man standing up on his own.  

King really needs to consult someone on his tactics, because that's just a load of BS.

(Sorry if this has been posted already but I'm only a Mon-Fri 9-5 poster!!)

Its very similar to the formation that was used when I first started watching in the 60's.......you had one striker...at first Jack Smith, then a number of others were used like John Stevens, Frank Large, Bill Atkins, Keith East, Dennis Brown, Jimmy Lawton even Jack Howarth who went to Aldershot and scored sack loads, had a couple of games.

Then you had 2 wingers....at first it was Rogers and Summerbee, then when Summerbee went it was the likes of Bruce Walker and Eric Weaver and later Don Heath.

The system was essentially 3 up front because the wingers never went very far back into their own half.....an inside forward, todays midfield player was to get forward and join in a bit like Grant Smith has shown he can do.

This was someone like Ernie Hunt or Roger Smart.......so DR ended up as STFC's post war record goalscorer, EH is in the top ten and RS is just outside......I think this is what King means when he says its 3 up front.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:26:07 »

But do you see it, as the game develops, that we are playing that way or don't you think that Holmes and Igoe just become midfielders who get sucked into the middle third and don't support Sam enough going forward then don't get back either.

How many teams have ever gained success through this formation?  Not many.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:28:14 »

you need very specific players to do this. Robben and Duff at chelsea are an example. Igoe couldn't ever play this role the way it's supposed to be played. He drifts inside too much anyway
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:28:54 »

Bloody hell, my Dad's been going longer than Reg.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:40:10 »

Quote from: "janaage77"
But do you see it, as the game develops, that we are playing that way or don't you think that Holmes and Igoe just become midfielders who get sucked into the middle third and don't support Sam enough going forward then don't get back either.

How many teams have ever gained success through this formation?  Not many.

We are trying to play it , to stiffen the midfield and not concede so many goals, unfortunately our concession of goals is as King points out down to school boy errors, which whatever system you play will always cause a problem.......this has been a consistent since the first game at Wrexham, and  begs the question what can be done about it?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 11:16:00 »

What did Harry Fleming used to be like Reg?

Just wonderin' like. Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 11:30:33 »

Don't know..... ask pere Sonic.

Can remember his sport's shop which was in Commercial Road.....also used to get chips from Jock Walker's shop in Corporation Street on getting back on train from away games.....he still served into his 70's.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 18:05:43 »

If Holmes and Igoe were up front then I can hit a donkey's arse with a banjo.
I missed the donkey's arse! :|
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: