Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reaction To Brentford Game - Another Wasted Journey  (Read 3042 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Saturday, January 22, 2005, 19:09:13 »

Went to Griffin Park today with two friends, and they could see Swindon's failings after just 90 minutes, yet King still cannot after four years in charge.  The two goals conceded were both coming, and Swindon were incredibly lucky that Burton managed to miss an open goal in the opening exchanges, although may look back at the one-on-one Parkin should have scored.

The team are not happy.  Parkin is clearly not relishing his role up front by himself, and showed his frustration.  Brian Howard will rightly be annoyed at not featuring at all today, as his impressive record against Brentford and his creative play makes him an ideal candidate to bring on if we are chasing a game.  Nicholas has disappeared from the team-sheet, when he is one of the quickest and most natural defenders at the club.

Andy King's post-match interview demonstrates his tactical failings.  He argues we have 3 up front, with Holmes and Igoe up front.  Igoe was virtually anonymous today, and missed a good chance early in the second half.  Holmes was marked out of the game and didn't get into his stride, and Parkin found himself surrounded every time the ball was hoofed up to him from the back.

We need a manager who will:
- Motivate players, not criticise and point the finger
- Select the right players - where is Andy Nicholas?
- Play the correct formation
- Make logical substitutions at sensible times

The crowd could see the goal coming, as the ball was constantly being hit into Swindon's area before being cleared, but Sam by himself was unable to hold the ball up.  Had Fallon come on earlier  he may have been able to assist holding up the ball and relieve pressure on the box.

Positives From Today:
- Smith committed to the cause - scored a good, brave goal, if not lucky as 'keeper came off his life, and defended well.  Had a couple of poor efforts from long-range though
- Heywood looking good - had a decent game, although took a nasty knock to the head in the second half
- Communication - the team are communicating better

Negatives From Today:
- O'Hanlon in midfield does not work - he is an average midfielder, but we miss someone at the back with his grit
- Formation just doesn't work - Igoe is too unreliable, and Holmes is now being targetted by managers as a danger man
- Miglioranzi looked a long way from his best today, slow on the ball, unable to hold onto the ball, played poor passes, but in his defence is still returning from injury
- Jenkins at left back does not work - sound defensively but useless going forward
- King doesn't adapt his tactics to the situation.  He is inept.  My friends could see the failings of the teams in 90 minutes, yet King is seemingly blind to them.  His post-match interview does little to inspire confidence
- Slabber didn't get a touch again - he's not a player in the mould of Holmes who will create chances.  Yet to see any evidence other than the reserve game on his finishing ability
- The crowd were restless, and obviously getting on King's back

Andy King set the target of 12 points from the next 4 games.  So far we have taken a point from an easy home game.  No matter how much of an ardent King fan you are, this fact cannot be denied.  King targetted these games as must wins for the playoffs, and as the target is the playoffs, he is failing his objective.  The LDV excluded, we have Stockport at home and Oldham away.  After these games, I think the board should seriously consider his position.  Anything less than two wins and surely his fate is sealed as the playoffs would inevitably be out of reach.

One more to sign up to the Andy King Out Brigade please.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 22, 2005, 19:56:09 »

i made the trip today, and the main thing we lacked was having and the ball. when we did get it it was HOOF! when we got forward we looked like doing something.

like i have said before if we don't make playoffs. King out!
Spencer_White

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 14:49:40 »

I like Kingy, and I recognise what he's done for us, but if we dont win on tuesday, thats the end of my tether.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 15:12:58 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
I like Kingy, and I recognise what he's done for us, but if we dont win on tuesday, thats the end of my tether.

ain't that the truth, amen
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 15:45:35 »

Spencer: King's personality is not under scrutiny, I love his post-match interviews and think he is probably a great bloke, if not a little arrogant.  But as a manager he seems clueless.  He is not without his qualities - it is impossible to deny the calibre of players he has brought here, it is the way in which he employs this players.  He seems to upset them, pick the wrong ones and put them in the wrong shape.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 15:51:05 »

He's certainly put Brian Howard in the wrong shape, all these are good points, and it is why I'd like to see Mike Harford come in, to work as number two.

Don't know if there's any realistic chance of it happening, but he's not gone back to Luton yet, which may indicate a bit of contract sorting needs to be done with Forest.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 16:01:02 »

Reg - Steve Coppell had very little impact in his short spell here three seasons ago, albeit for a very short period.  I think the problem would be that King is too proud to accept the fundamental problems which exist and thus Harford would have difficulty getting his input across.  Coupled with King's strong personality, I doubt any assistant would have little affect.

There was a similar debate last season, the season before and the season before that when King's tactical failings were once again highlighted by long runs of poor forms.  Sky Sports describes teams such as Arsenal and Man Utd having "blips" - we seem to have major dips in form which have a significant impact on our final position in the league.  The "blips" we have experienced thus far seem to have extinguished any hope of promotion.

The only way, in my opinion, for the team to move forward and to move into the Championship is to get rid of King, or move him into a purely scouting role.

Howard should have started yesterday, no doubt.  We missed a play-maker with Igoe and Holmes' anonymous performances, yet King stubbornly refused to listen to the crowd and make a substitution.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 16:20:24 »

What Coppell did do.....is show that a proper manager would go nowhere near the job.

He preferred Brighton for all their problems, King has tried to get harford on board before he's obviously a fella he can work with and he's shown at Luton he can do a good job.
DMR

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 18:56:31 »

Crap yesterday, we were totally pissed all over from start to finish.

5-0 would have been a fair reflection.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:03:45 »

This is all very depressing reading for a Monday morning.   Crying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: