Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When England lost to Norway in the qualifiers....  (Read 2048 times)
faringdingdong

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 12:41:07 »

Does anyone remember the famous clip of the Norweigian commentator reeling off the list of famous English folk (Lord Nelson, Henry cooper etc) and then telling us all that we took a 'Hell of a beating'?
Anyone know if this clip is on t'internet anywhere?

We wanna go somewhere else. We're not threatened by people anymore. All our insecurities have evaporated. We're in the clouds now. We're wide open. We're spacemen orbiting the earth. The world looks beautiful from here, man.
el duque

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 13:11:18 »

Quote from: "faringdingdong"
Does anyone remember the famous clip of the Norweigian commentator reeling off the list of famous English folk (Lord Nelson, Henry cooper etc) and then telling us all that we took a 'Hell of a beating'?

Yes. I think that "Lady Diana" made the list too. "Your boys took one hell of a beating"... Classic. Don't know where to find it on the internet though.

Baddiel and Skinner did a piss take of it, when doing a Phoenix from the Flames of a Dutch game... Essentially the same commentary, but with a dubious list of 'Dutch' celebrities... ending with Dick van Dyck
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 13:19:57 »

Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Atlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana!!! Maggie Thatcher. Can you hear me Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating. Your boys took one hell of a beating."

EDIT:

Is this it? I can't play it at work...

http://www.btinternet.com/~alexc/audio/canyouhearme.ra
el duque

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 13:40:18 »

Quote from: "Batch"
Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Atlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana!!! Maggie Thatcher. Can you hear me Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating. Your boys took one hell of a beating."

EDIT:

Is this it? I can't play it at work...

http://www.btinternet.com/~alexc/audio/canyouhearme.ra

That is the one. I've just asked my Norwegian housemate, Knut (no laughing!) if he can track it down on MP3.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 13:41:09 »

I could convert it to mp3 and up it if you want
el duque

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 13:52:25 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"
I could convert it to mp3 and up it if you want

Fantastic
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 14:12:23 »

Righto will do it now.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 15:59:02 »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gdvji4

That's the mp3 version. It took a lot more effort than I thought it would so I hope it works ok!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 16:34:12 »

it works.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 19:16:53 »

Quote from: "faringdingdong"

I remember that from watching it on TV as a young kid. And losing 2-1 to them was a much bigger shock in those days than it would be now; that was the first time they had ever beaten us.

It was a strange qualifying group as two games previously we lost 2-1 away to Switzerland and the gloom and doom merchants were out; then we went and won 3-1 in Hungary. Then we lost in Norway but a 1-0 home win against Hungary put us through to the 82 world cup.
DMR

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 23:09:05 »

I'm with Gascoigne on this one.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 6, 2006, 03:34:47 »

I have to admit I was actually at the game.  Thee were a bunch of Scotsman in the row in front, they went mental when Norway scored (twice) and when the final whistle went.  Overall, Norway deserved to win.  

England went one up and then stopped playing.  It loked like a formality after the first goal went in.  Ron Greenwood dropped his duty free on the way back, just about summed it all up.  I seem to remember about four Liverpool players in the England team.  They played better for their club.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: