Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League shake up proposals  (Read 25647 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 01:11:04 »

We should drive on the right hand side of the road.

Spain do, and they win everything

Things get better but they never get good
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 07:41:08 »

We should drive on the right hand side of the road.

Spain do, and they win everything
Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 10:01:38 »

See Dyke's latest statement is that it will be "depressing" if Man City win the title....he also intends to carry on with his plan despite opposition from just about all quarters, except a handful of Prem clubs like Man City.

What is depressing is that a goon like Dyke, should be in the position of head of an organisation which is supposed to be custodian of our game.
iffy

« Reply #138 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 10:05:24 »

no chance. It's there or it aint.

Isn't the problem here that kids develop at different speeds and their skills at that age are quite low. So the kids who will stand out - the 'winners' - are the bigger, physically dominant kids who won't be so impressive when they are all 19. John Terry is always going come through in that system, Messi probably isn't.

Also, coaches have biases. If people haven't read Moneyball, there's loads in there on this (in baseball). Coaches think they can pick "it", but they can't. The story of moneyball is that the little fat kids who don't get out are far more valuable to the team than the obvious superstars.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 20:57:38 »

Isn't the problem here that kids develop at different speeds and their skills at that age are quite low. So the kids who will stand out - the 'winners' - are the bigger, physically dominant kids who won't be so impressive when they are all 19.
Very true, but at the age arriba was talking about (9), there's also an inherent bias towards the kids who've been playing organised football for a while - at U9s, you get kids who've never played in a team playing against kids who've been playing organised football for 4-5 years. Guess what? The kids who are new to it can look a bit awkward/make daft mistakes - give them a couple of years and they're running rings round some of the "better" players who just had a head start.

If people haven't read Moneyball, there's loads in there on this (in baseball). Coaches think they can pick "it", but they can't. The story of moneyball is that the little fat kids who don't get out are far more valuable to the team than the obvious superstars.
Don't know that that aspect of the theory behind Moneyball really applies down to kids tbh, at least not that young. IIRC it's based around professional sports, a lot of it isn't transferable into amateur sport at lower levels, much less into kids' sport. (Disclaimer: not read Moneyball itself, but read a couple of the books that claim to build on it and countless articles referencing it)

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Monday, May 12, 2014, 08:34:37 »

The point I disagreed with was that a kid with no talent at 9 could become talented in a year. Won't happen. Maybe good at local football level but I'm talking real talent here. What these shake ups are all about.
More kids than ever are playing football, yet there are less top English players than ever.

derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Monday, May 12, 2014, 12:26:34 »

Interestingly, I went to my Nephews football final on Saturday at Sixfields Stadium, it was an U11 final.

You could sort of tell which Kids have 'got it' technically, natural balance, the way they kick the ball etc. Obviously, the bigger stronger kids stood out. The managers had the kids well drilled, passing patterns etc, if all coaches coached to that, then we would have a generation of good technical players coming through. It takes time, of course is does. I cant comment on kids at U9, I think kids at this age are to young to be judged. that should really happen at somewhere around U13.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 20:32:23 »

A good read taking apart the Commision report :

http://theblueandwhitefanzine.co.uk/blog-b-teams/

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
SwindonOldie

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 20:59:44 »

I'm a bit pissed tonight.

Can you imagine if we had the money to keep this going?

Macari was God but this was good.

Pint Pint Pint Pint
SwindonOldie

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 21:01:33 »

what was the original post?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 21:08:24 »

I'm a bit pissed tonight.

Can you imagine if we had the money to keep this going?

Macari was God but this was good.

Pint Pint Pint Pint
We'd have run out of players by now
Barry Scott

« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 22:54:44 »

Reminds me, my mate sent me this the other day.

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 12:58:42 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10859378/Football-League-draws-up-plan-for-Premier-League-B-teams-to-enter-Johnstones-Paint-Trophy.html

The idea is for 16 B teams from clubs with Category One academies to join the 48 League Two and League One clubs in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on a trial basis for the next two seasons. The competition would start with 16 groups of four with one B team in each group. Each team would play each other only once, so the draw would decide whether home or away. The 16 winners would qualify for a straight knockout.

Obviously sounds better that reforming the league. The more interest point is that all b teams would play at their main clubs grounds and all gate receipts are given to the league clubs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 13:03:29 »

Not in favour of that either really. Even if it is only the JPT.

My view is that it is in danger of it being the thin end of the wedge regarding it legitimising B teams.  Plus it makes teaching Wembley harder.

Even so, the jpt proposal is no more helpful to raising the standard of the national team anyway.

Besides, the league cup is a B team cup now .
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 14:00:57 »

Not in favour of that either really. Even if it is only the JPT.

My view is that it is in danger of it being the thin end of the wedge regarding it legitimising B teams.  Plus it makes teaching Wembley harder.

Even so, the jpt proposal is no more helpful to raising the standard of the national team anyway.

Besides, the league cup is a B team cup now .

Shit idea....I'd rather they went back to having some Conference teams in, if it has to be tinkered with.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: