Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where have all the wasps gone?  (Read 6695 times)
Stevens

« on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 08:05:33 »

I have a lot of fruit trees in my garden and normally plagued by wasps come September.
This year a wasp sighting has been a rarity, what has happened to them.
Even though they are generally a pest and flipping hurt when they sting, they have a very important job in keeping down the mosquitoes and other insects etc.

Ladybirds also quite rare this year.

Maybe I have missed news about the decline, so any comments:

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 08:44:49 »

There were loads about where I work (not in Swindon). They took great pleasure in attacking me every time I went outside. That's the downside to vaping with nice flavours I suppose.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 09:16:55 »

They are all in Cotswold Water Park hanging round the bins overflowing with discarded lolly sticks and soft drinks cans

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Randle

I must be crazy to be in a loony bin like this.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 09:22:23 »

Dislike the things intently.

There have been fewer this year, none around my apple trees. Also, not so many Daddy Longlegs.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 10:27:11 »

Coventry.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 10:30:25 »

They have all moved here.

Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 10:40:24 »

They are all in Cotswold Water Park hanging round the bins overflowing with discarded lolly sticks and soft drinks cans

Ha, I went to that "beach" about 20 years ago and the place was swarming with them, never been back since.

It's weird, I don't care about spiders, snakes or any other creepy crawlies, but wasps I just hate and go out of my way to avoid them (In other words, I run off screaming like a little girl)

The lack of wasps is a great thing in my opinion.
Stevens

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 10:40:58 »

That is just a blank space on my computer Ardiles.

I live near Maidenhead, Berkshire - conversation in the pub last night about wasps (or the lack of wasps) was a general interest of where have they all gone. Sounds like the Cotswolds nother has changed.

But here in the middle of Berkshire they have nearly disappeared, and good shout about the daddylonglegs, a rare species indeed at the moment.

Mentioned earlier ladybirds are not seen in large numbers this year, maybe the larger European bug which plaqued southern England a few years ago killed the locals and pissed off back to warmer climates.

Lots of big hairy spiders though.
Maidenhead Red

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 11:01:58 »

That is just a blank space on my computer Ardiles.

I live near Maidenhead, Berkshire - conversation in the pub last night about wasps (or the lack of wasps) was a general interest of where have they all gone. Sounds like the Cotswolds nother has changed.

But here in the middle of Berkshire they have nearly disappeared, and good shout about the daddylonglegs, a rare species indeed at the moment.

Mentioned earlier ladybirds are not seen in large numbers this year, maybe the larger European bug which plaqued southern England a few years ago killed the locals and pissed off back to warmer climates.

Lots of big hairy spiders though.

They're all in Cox Green, Stevens. I've seen quite a few buzzing around my place. Bastard things

Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Green83
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 11:27:13 »

Ha, I mentioned to my mum the other day that we seem to be inundated with ladybirds at the moment (such interesting conversations we have..) they're everywhere! Still, they're quite beautiful. Wasps are wankers.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 11:33:14 »

Ladybirds are actually known to bite if there's too many of them. Occasionally they have a population explosion and they eat all their prey (aphids) leaving no food left. Forced through starvation they then try to eat anything, people included.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 11:38:05 »

Ladybirds are actually known to bite if there's too many of them. Occasionally they have a population explosion and they eat all their prey (aphids) leaving no food left. Forced through starvation they then try to eat anything, people included.

So what you're basically saying is that we're under attack  Sad it was nice knowing you all x
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 11:40:17 by Ells » Logged

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 11:43:38 »

They're all in Cox Green, Stevens. I've seen quite a few buzzing around my place. Bastard things
Nip into Steane & Co and see Gin. He'll sell you some wasp eradicator pronto.
Maidenhead Red

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 12:12:00 »

Nip into Steane & Co and see Gin. He'll sell you some wasp eradicator pronto.

I had a nest in my shed a while ago that I had removed. I'm wondering if they're now trying to relocate elsewhere on my property! I shall have to pop in there! I haven't been in that shop in ages

Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Green83
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 12:39:29 »

Wasps are wankers.

Wasps are bees with  small man syndrome.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: