Poll
Question: Which Way Are You Voting
In - 91 (62.8%)
Out - 44 (30.3%)
Shake It All About - 10 (6.9%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 71211 times)
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 11:53:59 »

The news today has plenty on large and medium company share prices being down, significantly so in some cases. Tax-payer-owned RBS shares are nearly as low as they were during the global economic downturn.

The pound is down again too (currently at a 31 year low against the dollar), if it stays down too long then imports (of which we do a lot more than we export) will become more expensive, and inflation will kick in.

The second referendum should be about whose face goes on the £1million note.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 12:00:45 »

What a loss to the UK. Now he can repeatedly put his nose in the trough with his mates. What a bloke. What a great legacy but somehow he'll come out of it alright unlike the common bloke in the street. 
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting he deserved to be well remembered, he's a complete arsehole IMO, just that his "legacy" was important to him and he's fucked it up. Which is different from the very comfortable retirement he'll still be able to enjoy. Whether the rest of us do remains to be seen
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 13:32:22 »

As regards the Sweaties....it will be years before they join the EU.  Firstly the Act of Union 1707 will need to be unpicked, then they will need to apply to the EU, and satisfy the criteria of joining the Euro and Schengen...again which will take years, even if mainly the Spanish don't apply a veto.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 13:35:36 »

Well Sturgeon has already spoken to Brussels about this.. They may not have to. We'll see.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:39:19 »

The people have spoken we all need to move on.

We need the best politicians with the highest economic competence and the best lawyers/negotiators to steer us through.

I do believe the decision made by the electorate is the right one, but we all need to pull together now however people may have voted. These farcical calls for a 2nd vote are an embarrassment as are these ridiculous petitions
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:50:47 »

I think it's easier to say 'we all need to pull together now' when you don't think that Brexit is a really shit idea.  I'm certainly struggling myself.  I think the whole thing is a misguided fuck up of epic proportions that our kids, in particular, are going to pay for...so I'm going to need a little more than 72 hours before I dust myself down and put the whole episode out of my mind.

I agree with you about the petitions, which are embarrassing.  Democracy is democracy.  The decision is valid.  Let's see how it works out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:57:42 »

The people have spoken we all need to move on.

We need the best politicians with the highest economic competence and the best lawyers/negotiators to steer us through.

I do believe the decision made by the electorate is the right one, but we all need to pull together now however people may have voted. These farcical calls for a 2nd vote are an embarrassment as are these ridiculous petitions

Well said. There needs to a proper split, absolutely no point in negotiating something which looks like membership without the opt outs, and therefore effctively worse.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:03:44 »

These calls for people to "move on" are irritating the fuck out of me. This is something that has actually ignited a lot of interest in political discussion amongst those who were previously unwilling or unable to engage. Discussion should be encouraged, even provoked, as clearly the 65/70% of 18-24 year olds who didn't bother to vote (apols if stats are off slightly) need a wake up call.

I've got classes of 12/13 year olds wanting to know why they get no say in their own future. They need to know why discourse of this nature is so damned important.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:06:28 »

Most MPs chose which side of the referendum to support based on what they perceived as the best bet in either furthering their political career or just keeping their job.

They will easily backtrack on their 'convictions' if there's a chance of getting further up the greasy pole.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:11:50 »

I've got classes of 12/13 year olds wanting to know why they get no say in their own future. They need to know why discourse of this nature is so damned important.
Don't remember anyone consulting me on anything when I was 12. You get a say when you're 18.

If you can't be arsed to exercise that right, tough shit.

All part of today's feeling of entitlement and then boo hoo when you get kicked in the nuts.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:12:53 »

These calls for people to "move on" are irritating the fuck out of me. This is something that has actually ignited a lot of interest in political discussion amongst those who were previously unwilling or unable to engage. Discussion should be encouraged, even provoked, as clearly the 65/70% of 18-24 year olds who didn't bother to vote (apols if stats are off slightly) need a wake up call.

The non voting 18-24 year olds will have had ample opportunity to engage in the democratic process through PHSE, which has been compulsory for the last 15 years. It could be argued they haven't been arsed could be laid at the door of schools who've reluctantly undertaken this, as it's not seen as a proper subject, in a half arsed way.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:26:56 »

I think it's easier to say 'we all need to pull together now' when you don't think that Brexit is a really shit idea.  I'm certainly struggling myself.  I think the whole thing is a misguided fuck up of epic proportions that our kids, in particular, are going to pay for...so I'm going to need a little more than 72 hours before I dust myself down and put the whole episode out of my mind.

I agree with you about the petitions, which are embarrassing.  Democracy is democracy.  The decision is valid.  Let's see how it works out.

I don't get all these "my kids future being affected" statements. How so?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:36:59 »

Maybe they're worried their little darlings won't be able to go and get pissed up in Magaluf and make them proud.
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:40:43 »

The non voting 18-24 year olds will have had ample opportunity to engage in the democratic process through PHSE, which has been compulsory for the last 15 years. It could be argued they haven't been arsed could be laid at the door of schools who've reluctantly undertaken this, as it's not seen as a proper subject, in a half arsed way.

I totally agree. But why isn't it seen as a proper subject? Because the government don't value it. I had a Y11 class for PSHE (once a fortnight) this year. They had exercise books dating back to Y8 which nobody has ever bothered to look in. Why would you? Not examined, so books don't get scrutinised by the higher ups = no point wasting 2hrs of valuable time marking them.

ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:43:24 »

Don't remember anyone consulting me on anything when I was 12. You get a say when you're 18.

If you can't be arsed to exercise that right, tough shit.

All part of today's feeling of entitlement and then boo hoo when you get kicked in the nuts.

But did you give a shit when you were that age? Did you have something this important to care about? I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) no. But the point is, at least they give a shit. Our in-school referendum had a turnout similar to actual thing, which is remarkable I think. So discussion ought to be fostered.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: