Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Evans opts for blackpool  (Read 3861 times)
Stef Troll

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:00:34 »

Tis on the official site

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10341~834275,00.html

Good luck to the man i say, but im pretty confident we can get a good replacement. Evans kicking ability and distribution was shite, so not really sad to seehim go
Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:07:00 »

Good luck to him and I think he's been fairly good about how the whole thing has been handled.  

Personally, I think he's made a bit of a mistake going to Blackpool as it's hardly the move he's aspired to in the past and I suspect despite being in the League below in terms of putting himself in the shop window we'll be the Harrods to Blackpool's Aldi next season.

Certainly very replaceable and I’d suspect this Chelsea lad may well fit the bill.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:33:58 »

It just goes to show up though the bullshit stuff, that some come out with, like players will be more likely to sign if they heard of the manaager blah blah.

They go for more money end of.....

It also is perhaps a first lesson in STFC reality for Wise, namely there's isn't really any new money or direction from the Board.....Evans is a reasonable L1 keeper, no better, but he has 3 seasons experience behind him and keepers tend to improve with age.

Replacing him with as good or better with the money on offer will not be as easy as some think.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:43:30 »

Reg, I'd guess that he was already a fair wage earner at the club, especially as he already negotiated a new contract last season.  Blackpool are a little awash with money as well right now, so I'd reckon they may have offered well above his "worth" to most clubs and getting involved in silly negotiations should not be our thing, even if we have a bit more in the petty cash tin.

Good luck to him, but I do think a more than adequete replacement can be found over the summer - lets not forget, unless they are number 1 they don't tend to play very often, unlike other positions.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:49:40 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Reg, I'd guess that he was already a fair wage earner at the club, especially as he already negotiated a new contract last season.  Blackpool are a little awash with money as well right now, so I'd reckon they may have offered well above his "worth" to most clubs and getting involved in silly negotiations should not be our thing, even if we have a bit more in the petty cash tin.

Good luck to him, but I do think a more than adequete replacement can be found over the summer - lets not forget, unless they are number 1 they don't tend to play very often, unlike other positions.

Although I tend to agree with you, we shouldn't get involved in silly negotiations that policy cost us our place in L1.....the likes of KIng and Iffy expect and are prepared to work within these constraints, I'm not sure that Mr Wise will be and we may have another T*dd/ Evans scenario on our hands ere long.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:52:52 »

I agree - They will get a couple of decent replacements in the summer - no bother. Cool
McLovin

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:54:11 »

I'm struggling to get the Todd/Evans thing out of my head too. Glad I'm not alone.
Dazzza

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:55:22 »

I think it’s more the duration of contract that sealed it

We offered a one year deal to Blackpool’s two with the incentive of playing in the League above and as you say Reg a couple of extra quid on top.  

I don’t think it’s a cut and dry case of grabbing the money although as with anything if another side offers substantially more than we were prepared to offer then it will only help serve to grease the wheels.  Evans also reportedly took a pay cut last season and although the lack of offers may have been more telling in his decision to stay it’s a tad harsh to paint him as your typical money grabbing footballer.

I’m not sure but I think the clubs unwillingness to budge on what was originally set out on the table may well have something to do with Wise having already earmarked his number one for next season.  O’Hanlon’s revised offer was very fast in coming and a three year deal (if correct) for me definitely marks a change in transfer policy that has caused so many problems in the past.  To that effect it’s strange that something similar was not presented back to Evans, which with Wise claiming he’s wearing the trousers when it comes to being in ‘complete control’ of everything at the club it would indicate he wasn’t perhaps as eager to hold onto Evans as he was the club’s captain.

Will certainly be interesting to see how it pans out.

sonic youth

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 14:59:39 »

shame he's going, a decent keeper and a local lad as well. won't miss his kicking or ego though. fairly confident we'll find another keeper to replace him.

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
I'm struggling to get the Todd/Evans thing out of my head too. Glad I'm not alone.

please don't say things like this, you'll ruin my summer
Dazzza

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 15:00:11 »

Reg, I'd guess that he was already a fair wage earner at the club, especially as he already negotiated a new contract last season.

Apparently he took a pay cut to stay on last season or so he claimed  Cheesy

I'd say the cost of re-location and additional expenses have to make anything Blackpool are offering quite a significant increase on what we could offer.

my-velocity

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 15:01:14 »

He was probably the highest paid player at this club until peacock.
Piemonte

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 15:01:39 »

I keep having flashbacks.

I'm trying so hard to be positive and imagine how happy I'm going to be when we cane the league.

Surely Wise cant sign as many shite players as Todd though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 15:03:15 »

You're not alone....there are still some free thinkers left....we lead a feral existence and employ hit and run tactics.....
Dazzza

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 15:05:03 »

Quote from: "stfcbeckett"
He was probably the highest paid player at this club until peacock.

Are you sure?

I've never seen or read anything that indicate he was on a fairly average wage within the squad having taken a pay cut from his Chelsea days and another cut last season.

I will eat my hat if Thorpe, Cureton, Roberts and Whalley were/are not all earning more than Evans.

pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 15:08:11 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

You're not alone....there are still some free thinkers left....we lead a feral existence and employ hit and run tactics.....

I'm joining Reg's free thinkers, not that anyone would pay for me for my thoughts anyway  Wink

Cautious optimism is the way forward.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: