Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: And it begins  (Read 73912 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 07:54:05 »

Must be bad if Fatbury's back.

Hello Alec Bye
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:09:25 »

TAH.
Not surprisingly I'd forgotten about him.

Shame that we are likely to lose Flint. But, we have to realise that we are a selling club, and if now is the time to cash in to the maximum, then so be it.

I assume that TAH was signed on a big whack. Seems that there have been reports that we have been offering stupid money to players. I guess the fact that he has been injured all this time means that noone is likely to take him off our hands?

I have this vision of the Swindon management and board sitting in a dark and smoke filled room. There is a single light hanging low, just above a table with pictures of the players strewn everywhere. There are lots of shadowy figures in the background, watching events unfurl. The coaching team go on to discuss each of the playing staff. I picture the coaching staff picking players they want to keep, while the accountants chip in from the darkened recesses, vetoing moves due to the fact that the player in question costs too much or could attract a fee.

The midfield is discussed. Simon Ferry is cast aside by the coaching team (who don't rate him) as the shadowy figures remain happy and silent, putting away their arguments that he will cost too much. Alan McCormack is placed in the centre of midfield, amid shuffling in the shadows. A discussion ensues and a shadowy, overweight, pinstriped suited figure stroking a white cat, decrees that the club should offer him a smaller contract and see whether the 'multitude' of Championship clubs will come in with an offer for him. The picture of Lee Cox is thrown onto the table with the order being to 'make this one a valuable commodity to sell in January'!

On the defence side, Ward was seen as someone that was tied to the club, who could develop a youngster and could take on a second, unpaid job within the club. 'He's into healthy living, so sack the cook and make him cook pre-match meals'. Devera was therefore sacrificed purely to bring down wages.

Flint was offered a contract that was more in line with the wage structure that the club want to introduce - He must be still on the original terms when he was signed in the Wilson era. The group then realise that Flint's agent is likely to be able to get a lucrative deal for him elsewhere, so Flints picture goes in the 'sell for as much cash as we can get pile', where he joins the Paul Caddis picture.

'Good! Good! Well done my pretty, pretties!' says the pinstriped man, stroking the cat.

The group then turn to TAH and place him in the back 4 with Ward. There is panic in the room! 'He's expensive! He's expensive!' they cry, 'But it would be good to get him back on the pitch and in the shop window for a possible January sale. Mwah-ha-ha !!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha !! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha !!!!' the pinstriped man chortles...............

I'll get my coat!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:13:13 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:26:50 »

that's exactly what is happening.
I really can't tell if you honestly see no cause for alarm or if you're just really committed to playing devil's advocate.

FYI cause for alarm ≠ branding the board as 'crooks' or 'asset strippers' based on little or no evidence but a cautious concern for what may transpire.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:35:25 »

I really can't tell if you honestly see no cause for alarm or if you're just really committed to playing devil's advocate.

FYI cause for alarm ≠ branding the board as 'crooks' or 'asset strippers' based on little or no evidence but a cautious concern for what may transpire.

I agree with your second sentence there. There is clearly a need to be vigilant over the coming months but I feel some have overreacted too much too soon.

That's their prerogative but it irks me when people blindly ignore things like the fact we've turned down bids for two players because it doesn't suit a certain view (asset stripping crooks etc) and instead go on and on about Mercedes.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:39:39 »

I agree with your second sentence there. There is clearly a need to be vigilant over the coming months but I feel some have overreacted too much too soon.

That's their prerogative but it irks me when people blindly ignore things like the fact we've turned down bids for two players because it doesn't suit a certain view (asset stripping crooks etc) and instead go on and on about Mercedes.
Have to agree with that totally.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:59:07 »

These people are out of their depth, nothing more nothing less.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:10:10 »

Im not 100 percent convinced we are back in Kroenke territory or that the club owners are asset strippers. But certainly cost cutting and working on a lower budget is due to the lack of money they have to invest.

It is going to be a tough season for sure but we have all been here before and we will support the team through good and bad as always. Lets hope Arsene Wenger can assemble a squad that can compete and keep us floating around the final championa league spot - solidity is now the success for this next season

Fixed it for you Fatbury.
Flashheart

« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:43:54 »

London red said it for me.
Flashheart

« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:46:59 »

I'm by no means the only one. You should also ask others that are voicing similar opinions to mine. I also know of others that are choosing to be quiet.

Just because I'm not freaking out at unfounded rumour and sensationalist, selective opinion (for want of a better word) doesn't mean I think that all is rosy.
animalwilliams

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:53:23 »

Just took a look at the photograph in the 'Town At The Top' book which shows the entire club staff for the Premier League season in 1993. Backroom staff numbers look to be around 17, anyone know if that figure is accurate?
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:57:52 »

£275k is a lot of money for a player with one year on his contract who could walk away for free next year, if indeed we were asset stripping or having a fire sale surely we would bite their hands off for it.
MichaelPook
Oh stop it Mr Fatbury!

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:58:43 »

Fixed it for you Fatbury.

HEH - I like it.

On a more serious note - I personally have joined the Swindon Town Trust - http://www.truststfc.com/

and suggest that you all do the same - it may be helpful in the future whatever the motives or outcomes of the new board.

I used to be Fatbury
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:04:11 »

Oh Fatbury's back!

Its like a fucking Sunday multi-episode of Eastenders on here at the moment!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:09:17 »

£275k is a lot of money for a player with one year on his contract who could walk away for free next year,

Its a lot of money for a league 1 defender full stop, i bet there isnt a long list of those who gone for more than that in the last 5 years or so
Flashheart

« Reply #209 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:11:05 »

Could we realistically get much more than 275k + add ons?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: